walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Fionn Bhein off-piste...

Fionn Bhein off-piste...

Postby tnt_Brian » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:07 pm

Route description: Fionn Bheinn, Achnasheen

Munros included on this walk: Fionn Bheinn

Date walked: 06/01/2013

Time taken: 3.75 hours

Distance: 10 km

Ascent: 815m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I'd been wanting to do this for a while as it's close to home and a fairly short walk. The weather promised to be good all morning so i parked the car in Achnasheen and started walking at 8.20am just as it was starting to get light.

Fionn Bhein 010.jpg
Red sky over Achnasheen

I followed the Allt for the recommended two kilometres and then headed for the hill but it soon became apparent that i had gone wrong somewhere as i spent ages dragging myself through bog and ended up with a fairly steep climb up the wrong side of the first shoulder. From here it was fairly straightforward although still very wet underfoot until not long before finally reaching the ridge.

Fionn Bhein 013.jpg
The final walk along the ridge to the summit

The views from the top definitely make this walk worth it, although it somehow just didn't feel like a Munro to me. It wasn't the best day for light as it was clouding over by the time I reached the summit at about 10.30. There were still good views to be had of the Fannichs, the Torridon hills and the Achnashellach hills.

Fionn Bhein 015.jpg

Fionn Bhein 017.jpg

On the return walk, I tried to stick to the recommended route and knowing that I wasn't going to avoid the bogs at this time of year I just went for it and found it much easier than the route i took on the way up. I walked down the shoulder of the lower hill until I reached two wooden posts (a handy landmark) then turned back towards the burn. Once I reached the burn and followed it back to the gate off the hill, I realised what my mistake this morning was - I'd followed the wrong burn on the way up.

On the way down, I saw two walkers heading up the same way I had gone and I wished I could somehow signal them to go up the way I was coming down as it would be much easier for them. I hope they had a better ascent than me.

To anyone else doing this walk, I'd recommend looking for the wooden gate onto the hill and not the metal gate just after it which I went through. From there, cross and follow the burn uphill until you see those two wooden posts and head for them. From there, it's a straight walk up top the ridge.

Overall, not a bad morning's walk and I got back to the car less than 4 hours after setting off and just seconds before the rain started.

A good wee walk which would be much more enjoyable after a warm, dry spell. 2/5

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

tnt_Brian
Hill Bagger

Munros:7   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:1   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland