walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Well Met on Meall nan Tarmachan

Well Met on Meall nan Tarmachan

Postby coachmacca » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:13 pm

Munros included on this walk: Meall nan Tarmachan

Date walked: 06/01/2013

Time taken: 3.5 hours

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

As the wife was away to exotic plabces with work I was on my Todd for a walk this week.. or so I thought. Posted in the meets section and Grenfell was also at a loose end so late last night we agreed to do Meall nan Tarmachan - with an option to do the ridge depending on time (my fitness) and conditions.

We had only traded chat on here and on Instagram so fingers crossed he wasn't a serial killer or worse (as no doubt he was also thinking the same !) :wink:

Agreed to meet at Ben Lawers car park (where I have been before )a at 7.30am

First hurdle - me getting out the door for 6am... got up at 5.30am and had to move it back to 8am.. Is it still night?? :crazy:

Then (again remember I have been there before) I somehow managed to drive right by the car park ( it was pitch dark - my excuse and I'm sticking to it! )and only finally realised when I was about 15 mins away! :(

Its now 8 am and I'm reckoning Grenfell has given up on me and set off , quick "burlie" and I'm back along the road - only stopping to catch the sunrise over the back of the Tarmachan ridge.

Get back to said carpark now in early dawn light and he's still there (cheers mate). Quick drag on of gaiters and pack and much faffing about and we set off.

Made good time going up (i was burst) , following the easy path as it climbed through the gate, (great views back the way of Ben Lawers, Ben Vorlich/Stuc a Croin and of Ben More et al..)

Meall nan Tarmachan by coachmacca, on Flickr

Snow line appeared at about 650m , patches here and there but a great clear morning with fantastic views. _ this is what its all about eh :o :o

We get up to the first top and then drop down to cross the shallow beallach across the style and then hit some good snow.

Climbing up the path starts to dissapear under thick snow as it climbs up the steeper steps so we decide its time to try out the ice axes and kick some great steps in and move up.

We rejoin the path for a bit then as the final ascent path curves behind the summit we decided to move directly up again finding out feet in the snow, digging in on some steep parts but nothing too challanging.

Yours Truly

IMG_4078 by coachmacca, on Flickr
Grenfell

Reached the summit, some obligatory summit snaps then decided as the clag was now too thick and we had no knowledge of the ridge (and little winter experience) that we should call it a day and head down... except we werent paying attention as as we had cut off the track coming up started to make our way down the ridge track instead.... quickly realised it was an error and headed back.

At this pioint we met two guys coming the other way as we stroll by the summit cairn without a look and meet them. They assumed the summit must be further on given our nonchalant pass of the summit so were very happy to find out that no it was the summit and instead we were just stooopid :roll:

Headed back down the path, clag now like soup and NOTHING to see.

Bumped into a few folks and in particular 4 boys with a "few" years more experience than us so we stopped for a good 10 mins while they told tales of Munro magnificence and some survival epics. If I ever have to share a bothy late in the wilds with nothing but fire and a bottle the "longer in the tooth" boy would be my choice of companion - tales were brilliant!

Anyway made it back in good time and I'm happy to report not only did I survive without Grenfell skinning me alive but we had a grand day and he's a welcome companion any time! (if he slows down now and then as he did today for auld yins!) :clap: :lol:

Photies tell a better story but if any of you were folks we met on the hill let us know! (They are only iPhone, not the quality some of you guys have ) (the ones with me in are by Grenfell obv. )
Last edited by coachmacca on Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
coachmacca
Stravaiging

Munros:39   Corbetts:7
Fionas:5   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   

Re: Well Met on Meall nan Tarmachan

Postby Tomsie » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:26 pm

Well done glad ye got out. :clap:

Felt I was after leaving Grenfell down a bit not getting out today :(
Tomsie
Walker

Munros:166   Corbetts:71
Fionas:38   Donalds:36
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:8

Postby coachmacca » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:38 pm

Not to worry Tomsie I needed a walking buddy so worked out well , did you get out yesterday?
coachmacca
Stravaiging

Postby Fudgie » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:59 pm

I'm not at all jealous you made it to the summit :lol:

Big difference in the snow from Tuesday:

Terminator by lmcf photography, on Flickr

The Turning Point by lmcf photography, on Flickr
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Postby coachmacca » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:02 pm

Aye but your pics are better ;-) It was a good wee hill actually, great fun going up the snow!
coachmacca
Stravaiging

Postby grenfell88 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:58 pm

Great report mate :) was a really good climb. Some amazing views on the way up. Just give me a shout anytime you want a walking buddy.
Attachments
image.jpg
grenfell88
Munro compleatist

Munros:24   Corbetts:2

Postby talkingdolphin » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:06 am

Nice report & pics. Looks like you had a great day. I'm still a newbie to hill walking really so not had the pleasure of hillwalking in the snow. My time will come. I see you mention Instagram...will have to look you up on there...I've been addicted to IG for a wee while now : ) Thanks for your comment on my Ben Donich report btw.
talkingdolphin
Mountaineer

Munros:6   Corbetts:2
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:3   

Postby coachmacca » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:29 pm

grenfell88 wrote:Great report mate :) was a really good climb. Some amazing views on the way up. Just give me a shout anytime you want a walking buddy.

Anytime mate - qoote of the day "yep that must be the summit there, oh , no its not its there"
coachmacca
Stravaiging

Postby coachmacca » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:49 pm

talkingdolphin wrote:Nice report & pics. Looks like you had a great day. I'm still a newbie to hill walking really so not had the pleasure of hillwalking in the snow. My time will come. I see you mention Instagram...will have to look you up on there...I've been addicted to IG for a wee while now : ) Thanks for your comment on my Ben Donich report btw.

Well you couldn't have joined a better community IMHO I have learned lots from WH and snow adds a new dimension so take care - after advice i got here I have booked Winter Skills Training in Feb - well worth the investment.

What's your name on IG?
coachmacca
Stravaiging

Postby grenfell88 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:21 pm

coachmacca wrote:
grenfell88 wrote:Great report mate :) was a really good climb. Some amazing views on the way up. Just give me a shout anytime you want a walking buddy.

Anytime mate - qoote of the day "yep that must be the summit there, oh , no its not its there"

HaHa! lost count of how many times we said that.
grenfell88
Munro compleatist

Munros:24   Corbetts:2

Postby Tomsie » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:54 pm

coachmacca wrote:Not to worry Tomsie I needed a walking buddy so worked out well , did you get out yesterday?

Yeah me and Cesar got 2 done at Drumochter
Tomsie
Walker

Munros:166   Corbetts:71
Fionas:38   Donalds:36
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:8

Postby SMRussell » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:57 pm

The first photo is lush :D

Nice to see at least some snow on the hills - can't get over what a piddly little winter its been in the hills this year!
SMRussell

Munros:184   Corbetts:20
Fionas:16   Donalds:34
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:122
Wainwrights:103   Islands:11

Postby coachmacca » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:13 pm

SMRussell wrote:The first photo is lush :D

Nice to see at least some snow on the hills - can't get over what a piddly little winter its been in the hills this year!

Sunrise WAS amazing :D Agreed but reports are looking more positive now.. SNOW is coming!
coachmacca
Stravaiging

Postby ChrisW » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:23 pm

Great report CM, this really had me laughing....glad to see no axe murderers showed up......this time :shock:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland