walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Mell Fells

The Mell Fells

Postby DaveB1 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:43 pm

Date walked: 28/12/2012

Time taken: 3.2

Distance: 9.13 km

Ascent: 545m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

It’s a while since I've posted and have quite a few to catch up on, but I think I'll just do a series of photos from each of the walks. It's about time and feeling like spending even more time at a keyboard. :crazy:
So this little Xmas jaunt was to get another couple of AW’s best namely the Mell Fells. It also served as an opportunity to have a bite to eat with my mates (more of which later).
There aren't many photos for this walk, as the weather was quite frankly, appalling (high winds and lots of rain) which was the reason for doing these two little hills. I'm sure on a good day these two would be a great picnic spot with views to please everyone, but today was just a slog, sorry splash up them both. We parked the car at a road junction and kitted up, Jim and Mick were well prepared as you can see and even Lassie got a high viz vest to protect her from the elements and to make sure she didn't get lost in the clag.
Mell Fells - Dec 2012 001.JPG
Jim,Mick and Lassie kitted out for weather

A short walk up the road and the path to LMF (Little Mell Fell) was obvious and signed. We just followed it; noticing as we gained height the wind gained strength. By the time we were near the summit the wind was as often quoted by MWIS ‘buffeting’ us around. The trig point duly appeared and was delightfully constructed in stone as opposed to the normal concrete. Apart from this feature there was s*d all else to see!
As the weather was iffy I decided to take a bearing just in case and found that it took us in the direction of the obvious path that led away from the summit. What it didn’t do is show us that as we lost height and to a degree the wind, we also discovered that LMF has a lot of big gorse bushes. Consulting the map and figuring we were above Foxhill Farm, we headed down towards the road negotiating the bushes without too much discomfort, had we been there on a hot summer’s day (Oh do I wish!) it could have been a very different story, waterproofs are pretty ‘gorse proof’ too.
We got to the road and turned right discussing where the path to GMF (Great Mell Fell) might be. Some kind person had very clearly marked it with a big green arrow saying ‘Great Mell Fell’ and provided a new gate to go through, so as all good navigators do, we followed the sign.
Across a bog (it was a field, ‘was’ being the operative word) and over a bridge, speculating how we would have got across the beck without it, the beck was deep! We followed the little green and yellow arrows around Brownrigg Farm on to the road turning right and heading for the narrow lane at the foot of GMF.
Strangely enough a National Trust sign said ‘Mell Fell’ so we knew we were okay. A brief stop for a brew and a bite, it was still raining. Jim decided that he had put his gaiters on wrong (see Photo) and changed them to the inside of his waterproofs, ‘I thought my feet felt a bit wet’ he said ‘never too old to learn’ I thought.
Break over, we headed along the lane and found the clear path to the summit of GMF. We skirted the trees as recommended by AW noticing that a few had been blown over and given the strength of the wind, a few more looked likely. With every footstep a splash and leaning well to port to keep upright, the summit, a small pile of stones eventually came into view. Jim took this photo for the collection and proof and we beat a hasty retreat.
Mell Fells - Dec 2012 003.JPG
Its me on No 198! Great views!!!
:lol:
Just an opportunity to get the starboard side thoroughly wet! We may well have been at sea, in fact staying at home and chucking buckets of water at each other would have had the same effect on our clothing. But we dedicated walkers know how to cope! We started planning our next walk, Jim’s ‘coast to coast’ trip and Mick‘s Wainwright total to date.
Returning to the road we turned right and followed the signs back to the car, the trip had taken about three hours or so.
We decided to have a go at Gowbarrow Fell as the day was still relatively young, but not knowing the area that well, we just ended up getting to the river that forms Aira Force and finding that we had picked the wrong place, no bridge and we weren’t wading! Gowbarrow will keep for another day.
So returning to the car we headed for the Mortal Man at Troutbeck, good beer, great food and a roaring fire to dry out in front of. What more could a man ask for! :D
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

DaveB1
Munro compleatist

Munros:17   Corbetts:9
Fionas:4   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   

Re: The Mell Fells

Postby ChrisW » Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:34 am

Lovely tale Dave even though the weather didn't play ball, its good to see a new report in the outside Scotland section. I was beginning to think everyone had given up due to bloody appalling weather :roll: Roll on 2013 and a little bit of dry hiking :wink:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby DaveB1 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:33 am

Cheers Chris, I'll keep them coming for 2013. Thoroughly enjoyed all your Canadian trip reports and the photos are just stunning! All the best for the New Year. Dave
DaveB1
Munro compleatist

Postby simon-b » Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:12 pm

A good story, Dave. I think A. Wainwright underrated Little Mell Fell. It was brave of you to take the path between these two fells in those conditions. I climbed these two just over a week ago with Gowbarrow Fell, in similar weather. So I avoided the path across the fields and walked on the roads via High Birchclose and Greening. A bit longer, but drier underfoot.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby L-Hiking » Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:21 pm

Dave

I know just how windy it was up there it was savage and cold, I was at the top of Great Mell Fell at approx 2pm on the 30th having parked at the side of the road near the farm.

I wonder if we passed each other??
L-Hiking
Mountaineer

Munros:78   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:141

Postby DaveB1 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:27 pm

L-Hiking wrote:Dave

I know just how windy it was up there it was savage and cold, I was at the top of Great Mell Fell at approx 2pm on the 30th having parked at the side of the road near the farm.

I wonder if we passed each other??

Think we must have done, I saw man and young son just before we got to top, but stopped for a bite on the way down and saw a party of 4 on the way up, one had a yellow waterproof? Time would be about right.

Happy New Year

Dave
DaveB1
Munro compleatist

Postby Circles » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:35 pm

Just spent 2 weeks up that way myself...could handle the rain and it wasn't that cold mostly but the wind was something else at times...had a good chuckle watching some guys trying to walk the last 15 metres on Loughrigg and moonwalking due to the wind.
Actually a pity you missed Gowbarrow..I was there the week before and although the rain can be trying, this had resulted in the waterfalls absoluetly pumping...a great day to be there...I parked at the bottom having looked at the car park you were at...I think if you'd gone south a little you would have found the bridge.
Circles
Hill Bagger

Munros:6   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:90   

Postby garyhortop » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:33 pm

Nice wander Dave - really liked the pictures...looked like you needed the wet weather gear!! :D
garyhortop
Mountaineer

Munros:3   Corbetts:1
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:34
Wainwrights:14   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland