walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Bennachie

Bennachie

Postby Shelal » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:20 am

Route description: Bennachie: Oxen Craig and Mither Tap

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Bennachie (Oxen Craig)

Date walked: 07/01/2013

Time taken: 3 hours

Distance: 6 km

Ascent: 398m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Myself and my partner walked up Bennachie mither tap from the Bennachie centre. This was our first time up it, and it was stunning. The walk was quite easy for the first half of the walk, then as you start onto the rocky part of the ascent it gets more strenuous. As we have not long started hill walking, we had to take a couple of breaks for 5 mins. As we got closer to the top, the rocks were icy, so we were a bit wary but continued on our way. As we reached the top, we were nearly blown off our feet, as it was very windy. The view was beautiful. We are getting married in June at Pittodrie house hotel, so it was amazing to see it from such a height. The descent was more hazardous as we were sliding on some of the stones, but we managed it in one piece
We look forward to walking it again, and we're also keen to try more testing climbs. Can anyone recommend something of similar height, but a tougher walk?
Shelal
Mountaineer

Re: Bennachie

Postby RicKamila » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:51 am

Correen Hills - Lord Arthurs Seat. 15km walk up a Sub2000, along the ridge and then back down again. Superb views of Bennachie, Tap o'Noth and Ben Avon. Heres links to the walk description and my walk report from it.

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=25228
http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/aberdeenshire/correen-hills.shtml
RicKamila
Mountaineer

Munros:5   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:16   

Postby Ian Johnston » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:17 pm

Hi Shelal,

Bennachie is a great hill! If you want something a bit longer, try climbing from the Don View carpark at NJ 673190 and climbing Millstone Hill first before descending to the Heather Brig between Mllstone Hill and Bennachie, then up to the Mither Tap. For the return you can descend back to the Heather Brig and follow a forest road around the west side of Millstone Hill back to the car park.

I'd second Rickamila's suggestion of the Correen Hills - a super walk with a steady ascent; you stay high on a broad ridge with some great views.

Or how about Morven from near Logie Coldstone? A fine walk, but once the snow comes it does tend to collect a fair amount and can become quite icy.

Or, Clachnaben from Bridge of Dye? Nice walk in and another distinctive top

Or perhaps Ben Rinnes - a bit higher and the same remarks as for Morven

All good walks and there are so many more locally :D

If I can help with info or anythig else, just drop me a PM

Kind Regards

Ian
Ian Johnston

Munros:282   Corbetts:72
Fionas:20   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:29   Hewitts:128
Wainwrights:118   Islands:64

Postby Shelal » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:53 pm

Cheers Ian and Rickamila for the recommendations, we will definitely venture on them.
We are planning on walking Clais Fhearnaig circuit tomorrow. Hope the weather doesn't turn as expected.

Thanks again.
Shelal
Mountaineer

Postby RicKamila » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:26 am

Shelal wrote:Cheers Ian and Rickamila for the recommendations, we will definitely venture on them.
We are planning on walking Clais Fhearnaig circuit tomorrow. Hope the weather doesn't turn as expected.

Thanks again.

Read my walk report before you go, we had problems on that walk. Make sure you turn off at the faint track by the shelter, if you reach a water crossing then you have gone too far. Be careful with the water crossings at the start too.
RicKamila
Mountaineer

Munros:5   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:16   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland