walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Lingmoor, Black and Holme Fell

Lingmoor, Black and Holme Fell

Postby DaveB1 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:13 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Black Fell, Holme Fell, Lingmoor Fell

Date walked: 15/08/2012

Time taken: 6

Distance: 13.73 km

Ascent: 868m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Another Wainwright bagging trip, firstly to Lingmoor Fell an odd little hill in Little Langdale then on to two more little ones that I’d never heard of till I consulted AW’s ‘Southern Fells’ namely Black Fell and Holme Fell.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Mick and his son Dan were my companions for the day and with Dan just about to go to Uni, I wondered why Mick was carrying the rucksack, deciding that Mick probably needed the exercise and was frightened of being parted from his lunch if Dan set off like a demented gazelle.
In the event Dan proved to be an excellent companion and the butt of many a ‘Dad’ joke specifically designed to provoke embarrassment. :lol:
Little Langdale is a difficult place to park the car and so it should remain and so it proved; as two trips up and down eventually yielded a spot on an almost vertical slight indentation on a bend!
A bit of ‘it’s got to be up here’ followed; before we found the path leading off a lane and on to the fell itself.
Lingmoor Fell etc - Aug 2012 001.jpg
The Way up

The rest of the walk proved uneventful, clearly marked and surprisingly gentle for the Lakes (not too steep!). Arriving on the summit I took another photo.
Lingmoor Fell etc - Aug 2012 004.jpg
The view to the Langdales

I agree with AW it is ‘a colourful attraction the Langdale area’ (Southern Fells 1960). On the way down we found this wall and couldn’t help but admire its construction, it looked new but was probably well over 100 years old. I often wonder ‘why would anyone build such a wall in such a place?’ it’ll keep me wondering for many a year yet I daresay. It warranted a photo.
Lingmoor Fell etc - Aug 2012 005.jpg
The Great Wall of Lingmoor
f Lingmoor

It took about half an hour to get back to the car and then retrace our route to the A593 heading for Coniston. We parked at Oxen Fell High Cross, well that’s what the map says.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Black Fell (1056ft or 322m) is marked as Black Crag on the OS map on WH, but it has a trig point! Always handy when ignorance of the area becomes a factor. Having failed miserably in taking the guidance of AW, we found a track to High Arnside Farm and duly followed it, but when we arrived at the farm had this sneaking impression that we didn’t have a right of way. Best schoolboy tricks and outstanding leadership skills sent Dan off to scout, he could run the fastest, and then we hastily nipped through a gate and legged it in the direction of our goal. The decision proved correct as we could see where we wanted to be and angry farmers had clearly taken the day off! It was then a ‘line of sight and follow what looked like a path’ navigation exercise, before reaching the summit trig point and grabbing a bite to eat.
Lingmoor Fell etc - Aug 2012 011.jpg
Black Fell: its the pointy bit

One or two families came along as it was school hols and southern accents accompanied our lunch, a good starter hill and the views down to Coniston and Tarn Hows weren’t too bad either.
Following what appeared to be the right path we got back to the car and drove down the road a bit to where there was a National Trust sign saying ‘Holme Fell’, at 1040 or 317m it isn’t the biggest hill in the Lakes.

I was definitely having a ‘bad navigation’ day as I completely missed the right turn from the excellent NT path and we had to retrace our steps for about fifteen minutes, much to Dan’s amusement (what goes around comes around). A short pull up through the woods and on to the open fell was rewarded with the final Wainwright of the day. Dan insisted on a photo of me and Mick but I’ve cropped the sight of us in shorts, yes it was almost hot!
Lingmoor Fell etc - Aug 2012 015.jpg
Me and Mick on top: Holme Fell

Holme Fell gave good views north towards Langdale
Lingmoor Fell etc - Aug 2012 016.jpg
View from the summit

A gentle meander back to the car and then off in search of beer. We ended up at ‘The Ship’ in Greenodd, yes, it is called that. Had a pint of the landlord’s finest home brewed ale (micro brewery) it is good and worth a visit. Finally a visit to the chippy round the corner satisfied the hunger before the two hour drive home.
Another three off the list, a new area visited and on reflection a really good day out if a little unorthodox.
DaveB1
Munro compleatist

Munros:17   Corbetts:9
Fionas:4   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   

Re: Lingmoor, Black and Holme Fell

Postby ChrisW » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:57 am

Now that's the way to fill a beautiful day in the lakes Dave, what a cracking trio. This really brought back some lovely memories of home for me. Love the use of the 'fastest runner first' technique too :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby tenohfive » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:18 am

I thoroughly enjoyed Lingmoor Fell last time I did it, though (where parking allows) I'd definitely recommend coming up from the path near Bleatarn House - in the last few yards before you reach the top the Great Langdale Valley opens up in front of you, it's a great reward.
tenohfive

Munros:2   
Hewitts:40
Wainwrights:44   

Postby garyhortop » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:37 pm

Another nice wander Dave...looked a better day for it as well. Can't say I have clocked these fells before so might need to look at these next time I am up in the lakes! :D
garyhortop
Mountaineer

Munros:3   Corbetts:1
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:34
Wainwrights:14   

Postby garyhortop » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:37 pm

Another nice wander Dave...looked a better day for it as well. Can't say I have clocked these fells before so might need to look at these next time I am up in the lakes! :D
garyhortop
Mountaineer

Munros:3   Corbetts:1
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:34
Wainwrights:14   

Postby DaveB1 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:18 pm

garyhortop wrote:Another nice wander Dave...looked a better day for it as well. Can't say I have clocked these fells before so might need to look at these next time I am up in the lakes! :D

They are short in the height department, Gary, but I'm always amazed at the different perspectives they give of the big boys!
DaveB1
Munro compleatist

Munros:17   Corbetts:9
Fionas:4   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   

Postby SusieThePensioner » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:38 pm

Really enjoyed reading about your day out :D A lot of the lower fells have excellent all round views.
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland