walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Mount Keen

Mount Keen

Postby bthom65 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:18 pm

Route description: Mount Keen from Glen Esk

Munros included on this walk: Mount Keen

Date walked: 12/01/2013

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 16 km

Ascent: 685m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

We decided to take a chance with the weather & head east to tackle the isolated Mount Keen,we knew the snow was on its way but were more concerned the road into Glen Esk might be iced over, luckily it was only covered in slush & it was game on :D .We set off from the carpark at 9.30am across the bridge then turned right up towards a large house & through a gate leading into Glen Mark. Following the path for 4km before reaching The Queens Well where Queen Victoria apparently stopped for a wee drink from the well back in 1861,nice piece of architecture :clap: . Moving on up past the cottage & across the metal bridge over Ladder burn & up the Mounth road climbing quite steeply following a series of zigzags up the southern shoulder of Mount Keen.Further up the hill the path splits in two, we chose the path of to the right which is steeper & a more direct path to the summit, it was a lot colder now & the light had changed dramatically [ really strange] :crazy: .
We made our way up the rocky path to the 1st cairn before scrambling over a pile of rocks to reach the summit, the forecast was -4 with 15-25 mph winds, no chance more like -10 & 35 mph winds therefore no hanging around quickly back down the path, stopping very briefly for a quick snack & i mean quick snack before heading back to warmth of the car :D . All in all a good wee day out in the snow & some good pix
especially Big Dougie with his frozen specs....Hilarious! :lol:
Attachments
Mount Keen 035.jpg
The best pix ever Big Dougie looking real cool ha! ha!
Mount Keen 039.jpg
Homeward bound
710944_10151224961606938_1417652802_n.jpg
3 amigos!
Mount Keen 033.jpg
The quick snack
Mount Keen 025.jpg
Me & Dougie @ the cairn
Mount Keen 024.jpg
Aproaching the summit
Mount Keen 023.jpg
Mount Keen 018.jpg
Mount Keen 013.jpg
The Queens Well
Mount Keen 012.jpg
Off we go!
bthom65
Mountain Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   

Re: Mount Keen

Postby laconic surf » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:46 pm

Looks like you all had a good day. I've saved this for a snowy adventure - I maybe up there sooner than I expected :D
Thanks for posting
laconic surf
Munro compleatist

Munros:100   Corbetts:1
Fionas:6   Donalds:19
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:2

Re: Mount Keen

Postby bthom8465 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:13 pm

Thanks ,think your better doing MK in the snow, more of a challenge & definitely more scenic, good luck when you get round to it.
bthom8465
Hill Bagger

Munros:216   Corbetts:33
Fionas:7   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:21
Wainwrights:20   

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland