walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Perfect spring day on Meall na Teanga

Perfect spring day on Meall na Teanga

Postby dogplodder » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:01 pm

Route description: Loch Lochy Munros from Kilfinnan

Munros included on this walk: Meall na Teanga, Sròn a' Choire Ghairbh

Date walked: 05/05/2008

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I'm a bit fed up with January grey skies and feel like a boost of blue skies and sunshine. So I'm going to fast forward to the spring to a report on a sparkling May day in 2008 which I should have written up long ago. :D

My two labradors came from Labrador Rescue in the north of England. When the woman in charge found out I took them hill walking she asked if they could do a sponsored climb up Ben Nevis to raise funds for the Rescue. I said they could, but they would have to build up to it. So early in 2008 they started their training, first with shorter walks and gradually increasing the distance and harshness of terrain.

We first collected Jack on the memorable date of 5:5:5 so the 5th May 2008 was the third anniversay of adopting him and in that time he'd come on a long way from the lovable hooligan we first met! Moira and I decided it was time to visit the Loch Lochy Munros and drove down to Kilfinnan with Anthony, parking just before the bridge crossing the Kilfinnan Burn. We started along the Great Glen Way, staying on it until our track forked off to the right. It was a lovely gentle start to the day, walking through the forest in the morning sunshine with primroses in profusion growing on the banks to the side of the track.

DSC00038-medium.jpg

DSC00039-medium.jpg

After about 2km there's a right turn into the woods. This is marked by a large rock and there used to be an upturned boot on a post but other walkers report the boot has now gone. This path climbs steeply through the trees and once above the tree-line continues to climb up the north side of the valley of the Allt Glas-Dhoire. This is the old Coffin Road once used by crofters to carry their dead to the cemetery at Kilfinnan.

Coffin Road
DSC00040-medium.jpg

Heading for the bealach (Moira's)
Hillwalks 2008 021.jpg

Bealach (Moira's)
Hillwalks 2008 022.jpg

At the bealach we decided to head for Meall na Teanga and also that we would take our time and enjoy it as we were quite happy to come back another day to climb Sron a' Choire Ghairbh, which is what we did. We crossed the slopes of Meall Dubh, heading for the broad north ridge of Meall na Teanga. There was one short steep section up a snowy staircase that without crampons required firm kicking in with boots to get a firm hold. Moira didn't fancy the look of it so took a detour round the bottom of the snow patch which had her crawling up steep grass and I suspect might have been worse than the short snow bound section of path Anthony and I took. :?

North ridge showing path going up through snow
DSC00043-medium.jpg

Views west as we climbed
DSC00044-medium.jpg

DSC00047-medium.jpg

Once on the ridge it was easy walking to the summit. As we approached the cairn there was an endearing view of Anthony looking as if he was reading stories to the two mutts with the magnificent backdrop of Ben Nevis behind. :D

Approaching summit of Meall na Teanga (Moira's)
Hillwalks 2008 030.jpg

DSC00051-medium.jpg

DSC00052-medium.jpg

Jack the lad on his 3rd gotcha day! :lol:
DSC00053-medium.jpg

Meall na Teanga summit
DSC00057-medium.jpg

Enjoying their carrots
DSC00059-medium.jpg

DSC00060-medium.jpg

DSC00062-medium.jpg

DSC00064-medium.jpg

DSC00065-medium.jpg

Looking down on Loch Lochy (Moira's)
Hillwalks 2008 034.jpg

At top of bealach (Moira's)
Hillwalks 2008 044.jpg

On 22nd August 2009 Moira and I returned with Evelyn and Murdina to climb Sron a Choire Ghairbh. This was an important day for Murdina as she needed to climb a hill that didn't involve a narrow ridge or exposure following her challenging day on the Brothers Ridge a few weeks earlier! :shock:

The walk up to the bealach was as before then we turned right up the well made zig zag stalkers' path.

Zig zag path up Sron a Choire Ghairbh taken from Meall na Teanga (Moira's)
Hillwalks 2008 028.jpg

The path tops out on a grassy ridge which leads along the edge of broken cliffs to the summit.

Evelyn, Moira and Murdina at summit with the Great Glen visible on the right
DSC00992-large.jpg

No worries this time for Murdina :D
DSC00993-large.jpg

Looking west from summit
DSC00994-large.jpg

Looking east from summit
Hillwalks 2009 094.jpg

It was a good day out with the girls and on the way home we rounded it off very nicely with food at the Scots Kitchen in Fort Augustus! :thumbup:
Last edited by dogplodder on Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Re: Perfect spring day on Meall na Teanga

Postby mrssanta » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:10 pm

these are lovely pictures, sunshine views and green, makes you realise summer is coming !
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby morag1 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:02 pm

Great report Kathleen and really enjoyed looking at your photos :D

I'll never forget my first sight of the Great Glen, those high mountains looming over Telford's great work with Ben Nevis in the background. I walked part of the Great Glen way which passes at the foot of these Munros. This was in the days before I joined walkhighlands and didnt know much about official walkways/hills, I just went out to the countryside and enjoyed myself. What surprised me was the number of people who were walking the full Great Glen Way, especially the number of single women I met as until that point I always felt it was unsual for women to go walking alone. I spoke to many of them and most of them asked me the same thing, that is are there any shops/cafes in the area. There arent many north of Fort William but I suggested the Eagle Inn on the water to them.

It's good to look back over old times and relive your memories. I have a cupboard full of photos/CD's of all my past holidays/trips to the Highlands and one day when I have more time I'll sit down and go through them all and remember walks I have done/great sights I have seen. Might come sooner than I realise as my workplace is under threat :(

Hope you dont mind me rambling on, it's just your photos bring back strong memories of very happy times. Those dogs of your sure know how to pose, just gorgeous

Morag x
morag1

Postby dogplodder » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:53 pm

mrssanta wrote:these are lovely pictures, sunshine views and green, makes you realise summer is coming !

Thanks MrsS. I was needing a bit of blue and green to give relief from all the monochrome and grey! :D
dogplodder

Postby dogplodder » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:12 pm

morag1 wrote:
It's good to look back over old times and relive your memories. I have a cupboard full of photos/CD's of all my past holidays/trips to the Highlands and one day when I have more time I'll sit down and go through them all and remember walks I have done/great sights I have seen. Might come sooner than I realise as my workplace is under threat :(

Hope you dont mind me rambling on, it's just your photos bring back strong memories of very happy times. Those dogs of your sure know how to pose, just gorgeous

Morag x

Morag it's great to hear your memories. That's the beauty of this site - that we can share our experiences and memories of this amazing landscape we have! :thumbup:

Yep, the mutts know how to pose! :lol:
dogplodder

Postby dogplodder » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:08 pm

I'm adding some pics of Anthony to acknowledge all the walks we've done while he's been living up here. He and his wife are moving south and we wish them all the best surrounded by different hills in their new location. :D

Anthony and Moira at Kilfinnan
DSC00030-medium.jpg

Anthony and the Five Sisters
DSC00972-large.jpg

Thanks for all the map-reading and navigating you've done! :clap:

DSC01301-large.jpg

And keep walking those hills! :wink:
dogplodder

Postby Circles » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:23 pm

Amazing photos of the dogs...beautiful animals :D
Circles
Hill Bagger

Munros:6   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:90   

Postby soulminer » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:52 pm

An absolute cracker of a day for it :lol: These two are a grand day out, and it shows by the smiles you are all wearing :clap: Cheers.
soulminer

Postby dogplodder » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:29 pm

Circles wrote:Amazing photos of the dogs...beautiful animals :D

Thanks Circles - I will tell them you think so! :lol:
dogplodder

Postby dogplodder » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:30 pm

soulminer wrote:An absolute cracker of a day for it :lol: These two are a grand day out, and it shows by the smiles you are all wearing :clap: Cheers.

They are indeed. Cheers SM. :D
dogplodder

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland