walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

HAPPY XMAS TO YOU ALL - HARTER FELL & NEAR DISASTER

HAPPY XMAS TO YOU ALL - HARTER FELL & NEAR DISASTER

Postby susanmyatt » Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:46 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Harter Fell (Southern Fells)

Hewitts included on this walk: Harter Fell (Southern Fells)

Date walked: 19/12/2009

Distance: 5 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Hello and a very Happy Christmas to you all. Still struggling with a knee problem Lisa and myself set off in minus 7 on saturday morning to join the gang at The Birks at the head of the Duddon Valley. The school owned property sits at the foot of Harter Fell and after arriving and unpacking we set off up the fell, visibility was not too good and it was bitterly cold.
IMG_2620new.jpg
Lisa on the climb up
IMG_2623new.jpg
Me on Harter Fell summit

We were to meet the gang at the Newfield public house at Seathwaite but we bumped into them before that and we arrived together. After a few drinks it was back to The Birks for Xmas dinner and the weather was wet, all seemed well. When we awoke it wasn't even snowing but when it did it came with a vengence.
IMG_2642new.jpg
Snow,snow quick quick snow!

The decision was made that we all left together and it became apparent that the new rolled smooth hardcore surface road was a major problem, this was our ONLY WAY OUT :(
IMG_2644new.jpg
The way out

It took around 6 hours to get the cars to the pub at Seathwaite, the only phone out, and only 3 miles away :? Sadly in this period we had a vehicle leave the road and two people shocked. A special thanks to an off duty mountain rescue man and his 4x4 with winch who was priceless and thanks to him one vehicle with the two injured got out. For the rest of us we were stranded even with a snow plough and gritter, that only go as far as the pub. The publican sorted out a camping barn for us nearby to save us the 3 mile walk back to The Birks and a return in the morning, it was a cold night. The next morning thanks to the gritters and a cloudy night we were able to get our convoy out onto the main road at a very careful pace, even then it was 4 hours back to Stoke.
Everyone worked well as a team and it goes to show how powerful the elements are, we were well kitted out for the weather and at a push we would have had to abandon the vehicles and walk out of the valley.
Finally thanks to everyone for the kind comments on my previous posts, a very Happy Xmas and a safe and succesful 2010 to you all. :D
Last edited by susanmyatt on Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
susanmyatt
Munro compleatist

Hewitts:94
Wainwrights:141   

Re: HAPPY XMAS TO YOU ALL - HARTER FELL & NEAR DISASTER

Postby colgregg » Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:30 pm

Brrrr!!! That look so cold. Snow scenes always look good but I reckon I'll wait until I can see a bit of greenery before I start my 2010 campaign.
colgregg
Munro compleatist

Munros:15   Corbetts:5
Fionas:5   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:181
Wainwrights:214   

Postby Paul Webster » Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:08 pm

Good to see you back - did you see people were baying for you on the [url]/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2839[/url] thread? :D

Glad you are recovering from the knee problem and managed to escape from the Lakes!
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby susanmyatt » Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:31 am

Thanks Paul, actually missed that but did read the great post, husband now working as a civil servant and has less computer time, else he would have spotted it. Sadly don't think the rest has cured it as it is quite stiff after coming back, still pushing cars didn't help :lol: it :lol: thanks for a great site, hope you are all safe in snowy Scotland and have plenty of your finest in the drinks cabinet
susanmyatt
Munro compleatist

Hewitts:94
Wainwrights:141   

Postby mountain coward » Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:55 am

Pushing cars wouldn't help your knee, no! Welcome back and sorry to hear about your knee and your buddies accident! I was thinking when I saw the first pics that Duddon could be a very tricky place to get out of in snow!
mountain coward

Postby GarryH » Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:19 am

Wondered what had happened to you and the gang Sue when the reports dried up,thought you`d hung your boots up!
Hope the knee heals soon, so you can get back to the hills.
GarryH

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland