walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Glencoe Volunteer Ranger - great opp for someone

Glencoe Volunteer Ranger - great opp for someone

Postby dawnfoth » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:11 pm

Hi, saw this through Glencoe Ranger Service on Facebook and thought it would be a great opportunity for the right person - if I wasn't tied, I'd be there in flash!! Its a VOLUNTEER Ranger position in Glencoe for 7 months from March, if I read it correctly.... and if you are keen on mountains, then perhaps lots of opportunities for some walking/climbing. :D

http://www.glencoe-nts.org.uk/Volunteer-Rangers-2013-g.asp
dawnfoth
Munro compleatist

Munros:269   Corbetts:16
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:11   Islands:6

Re: Glencoe Volunteer Ranger - great opp for someone

Postby Backpacker » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:04 pm

I would love to have gone for it but unfortunately it needs to be full time, I could only offer weekends
Backpacker
Munro compleatist

Munros:18   Corbetts:115
Fionas:38   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:57   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Postby Caberfeidh » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:25 am

They have some cheek expecting people to work for nothing ! :shock:
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby electricfly » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:19 am

Caberfeidh wrote:They have some cheek expecting people to work for nothing ! :shock:

I was thinking the very same.

"Congratulations on your appointment... 7 months of hard labour with basic rations, here's the keys to your digs... yes, it's the one with the shutters on the windows, that's right, just beyond the path to the Aonach Eagach, great views up the Lost wages, erm Valley, sorry."

"Now if you get really hungry, the lady down at nisa will get in some Big Issues for you with her magazines order, I'm sure the staff at the Clachaig will give you a beer and some scraps if you promise to stop harrassing their customers."

"Remember, when your feeling low and possibly suicidal... how hard the McDonalds had it, even though you can't afford a happy meal. You do have that nice green polo shirt that says GLENCOE RANGER so at least the tourists will think you're getting paid. Things could be worse, you could be a GLASGOW RANGER too!"

"Finally, if things all really do get too much and you decide to end it all, take this man's card CABERFEIDH. You won't have any money for a funeral, so at least your family can get something back from the proceeds of your body parts, skinny though they will certainly be... GOOD LUCK OL' BEAN!" :mrgreen:
electricfly

Munros:282   Corbetts:34
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:26
Wainwrights:45   

Postby Caberfeidh » Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:00 pm

:lol: :clap:

Of course, they should be employing local folk but what you'll end up with is a person who can afford to work for free, and certainly wont be local. A self-appointed petty-official, oh joy....
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby fowlersworld » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:59 pm

Free venison when helping out the stalker from time to time :) :) :) .
fowlersworld
Munro compleatist

Munros:63   Corbetts:4
Donalds:3
Sub 2000:5   

Postby gaffr » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:06 am

The 'volunteer' might have to go to a neighbouring estate for a supply of venison. :lol: I seem to recall that when Percy Unna set up, and paid for the original (NTS) land purchases, he had written into the guidelines for management of the 'wild land for the use of those seeking recreation' ......that no deer stalking was to take place on NTS land. :) Maybe it is different today?
Pity that he didn't also write into his 'rules' that if work was needing to be done on the lands that a fair rate for the job had to be paid. :)
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby fowlersworld » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:31 pm

yep this should have been written in that you get paid fair or the job. NTS do cull deer in glencoe but not for sporting purposes only to manage the herd .http://www.glencoe-nts.org.uk/Dear-Management-g.asp.
fowlersworld
Munro compleatist

Munros:63   Corbetts:4
Donalds:3
Sub 2000:5   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion