walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Swear Word

Beinn Swear Word

Postby pigeon » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:37 pm

Route description: Beinn Sgulaird

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Sgulaird

Date walked: 12/01/2013

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 12.6 km

Ascent: 1164m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Beinn Sgulaird or as the local sherperds call it"The Bastard"???????????Why is it known as this?Maybe the rest of the gang knew why because it was a slighty reduced crew of me Charlie and Diane who set off to tackle the bastard (who both had the cold :( as did Ian and Kev :( :( hence their absence)but anyways we were parked up and on the go for about 0845 .The bastard word was used to good effect as we clambered up the first climb of the day,a steep grassy climb up to the East side of the 488m spot.
Beinn Sgulaird 001.JPG
Loch Creran from just above Druimavuich
Beinn Sgulaird 013.JPG
Beinn Sgulaird 009.JPG
Diane takes a well earned breather
In fairness though this was the toughest partof the day for us ,once we were up here and had a breather the next climb up to the first top at 863 was very nice indeed,snowline was reached at about 800m where two fresh sets of footprints appeared and were duly followed for the rest of the day :lol:
Beinn Sgulaird 019.JPG
Loch Etive
Great views at the first top down Loch Creran and over to Beinn a Bhiether and also a partial spectre before we carefully followed the footprints down and then up again to the next top at 848m ,Meall Garbh.
Beinn Sgulaird 021.JPG
Beinn Sgulaird almost peeks out
Beinn Sgulaird 025.JPG
863m top
Beinn Sgulaird 029.JPG
partial spectre
Beinn Sgulaird 036.JPG
steep rocky descent
Beinn Sgulaird 037.JPG
Chaz
Beinn Sgulaird 032.JPG
Beinn a Bhiether hills
Here we could make out Sgulairds summit as it broke out the clouds briefly along with Starav and Cruachan,unfortunatly for us the cloud was just sitting at about the 900m mark so when we reached Sgulairds summit after 3 and a half hours the views were pretty limited.Still we had really enjoyed the hike so far and Diane was well chuffed to reach her 80th Munro,four guys from Perth arrived at the summit and took our pic before we decided that no way Jose were we re-tracing our steps back over the tops so a plan to find a way down north west ish from the was hatched.
Beinn Sgulaird 041.JPG
Munro number 80 for Di
Luckily the trusty footprints we had followed headed that way too :wink: so off we went carefully picking our way down through the crags before crossing a frozen waterfall and then heading straight down the grassy slopes to an old sheep pen where a rough path takes you to just below Taraphocain.
Beinn Sgulaird 043.JPG
some icy sections on the way doon
Beinn Sgulaird 044.JPG
Beinn Sgulaird 048.JPG
Back along the road to the car in a touch over 6 hours,a great day,the weather was kind,not a lot of wind,just a fresh dusting of snow higher up,any boggy parts were just frozen enough to make easy walking and no rain :thumbup: Who says this hills a Bastard? :D :lol:
Beinn Sgulaird 051.JPG
on the track back with Beinn Fhionnlaidh to the left
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

pigeon
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:130
Fionas:41   Donalds:40+7
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2
Walk wish-list

Re: Beinn Swear Word

Postby dawnfoth » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:48 pm

Hi Pigeon - looks like you guys had a good day - the weather didn't look too bad at all - the bloody cloud always seems to drift over when the summit is reached - glad to see it's not only me this happens to! :roll: Some nice views there though. :D
dawnfoth
Munro compleatist

Munros:269   Corbetts:16
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:11   Islands:6

Postby pigeon » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:50 pm

Cheers dawn,only thing missing from the day was a good summit view,still can't have it all eh :lol:
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Walk wish-list

Postby Ian Bayne » Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:49 am

Looks like you had a good DRY day .One thing though I would have called it B*****d How I hate tops looks like me and Kev will have to do that later on Allright for the next adventure
Ian Bayne
Mountain Walker

Munros:184   Corbetts:39
Fionas:13   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:12   

Postby Huck Finn » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:40 am

As always Dave, good report and great photos, the rest of the gang really missed a good one, I think you summed it up on the way back to the car "if the top had been cloud free, it would have made our top ten of hills"
:thumbup:
Huck Finn
Mountain Walker

Munros:78   Corbetts:6
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   

Postby skuk007 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:40 pm

Nice report Pigeon.

That descent off the summit looks quite craggy on the map, glad you made it ok.
Well done Diane for reaching the 80th :clap:
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Postby Huck Finn » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:01 am

Huck Finn
Mountain Walker

Munros:78   Corbetts:6
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   

Postby Johnny Corbett » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:27 am

Ah a double post. See my comments on Huck Finns :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby PeteR » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:58 pm

Another fine effort pigeon :D

I liked this hill when I did it, but it was a bit tougher than I expected, although I could think of other hills I'd launch that sort of expletive at long before Sgulaird :D Seeing it with snow on makes it look good too :D
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby pigeon » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:08 pm

Ian Bayne wrote:Looks like you had a good DRY day .One thing though I would have called it B*****d How I hate tops looks like me and Kev will have to do that later on Allright for the next adventure
A dry day is always a good day Ian :lol: you could climb this from the bottom of Glen Etive,i think :?
Huck Finn wrote:As always Dave, good report and great photos, the rest of the gang really missed a good one, I think you summed it up on the way back to the car "if the top had been cloud free, it would have made our top ten of hills"
:thumbup:
Great pics again Huck :thumbup:
skuk007 wrote:Nice report Pigeon.

That descent off the summit looks quite craggy on the map, glad you made it ok.
Well done Diane for reaching the 80th :clap:
It's not that bad skuk,a few of my guide books suggest this descent,much better than re climbing the tops me thinks :wink:
Johnny Corbett wrote:Ah a double post. See my comments on Huck Finns :D
cheers Johnny,that Huck takes a good pic likes
PeteR wrote:Another fine effort pigeon :D

I liked this hill when I did it, but it was a bit tougher than I expected, although I could think of other hills I'd launch that sort of expletive at long before Sgulaird :D Seeing it with snow on makes it look good too :D
Cheers pete,it's a tough single sure enough ,really enjoyed our day though :thumbup:
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Walk wish-list

Postby rockhopper » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:16 pm

good stuff pigeon - certainly looked a bit steeper then from the Glen Etive side though - pity you didn't get a view from the top but sounds like it was enjoyable with some views as a consolation - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby pigeon » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:46 pm

rockhopper wrote:good stuff pigeon - certainly looked a bit steeper then from the Glen Etive side though - pity you didn't get a view from the top but sounds like it was enjoyable with some views as a consolation - cheers :)
Cheers RH,i remember your post on these,just had another look at it,our route was slighty easier :lol: :lol:
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Walk wish-list

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland