walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Loch Ossian Circuit Unintentionally

Loch Ossian Circuit Unintentionally

Postby Backpacker » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:59 am

Route description: Loch Ossian circuit from Corrour Station

Date walked: 19/01/2013

Distance: 27 km

Ascent: 559m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Arrived at Corrour about 0830,

Already a bit windy and the snow was on but not to worry, the forecast said it was clear up later on.

I set off down the track passed the Youth Hostel and off up towards the Lodge at the top of Loch Ossian.

As I'm walking up I'm looking ahead and debating with myself if this is actually going to clear up or even be passable. I had almost decided to just turn back and catch the lunchtime train when there was a break in the weather and I could actually see what was ahead of me.

I turned right just before I reached the lodge, quick check of the map to make sure I was on the right track (GPS was telling me something else) and I set off up toward the pass at Ben Alder, it reached a point where the snow was up passed my knees and I was struggling to lift my poles out to give me enough propulsion. Looking at the weather I could see another snow dumping heading in, so I made the decision to turn back.

I headed back towards the lodge and continued to follow the loch round the other shore and do a complete circuit.

Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by Backpacker on Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Backpacker
Munro compleatist

Munros:18   Corbetts:115
Fionas:38   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:57   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Re: Loch Ossian Circuit Unintentionally

Postby Silverhill » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:29 pm

Nice round Backpacker! :D
Next year I’m hoping to do Ben Alder (was that the original plan of your trip?). Hadn’t thought of approaching it from Corrour.
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:7   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Postby Backpacker » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:44 pm

Silverhill wrote:Nice round Backpacker! :D
Next year I’m hoping to do Ben Alder (was that the original plan of your trip?). Hadn’t thought of approaching it from Corrour.

My original plan was to head to Dalwhinnie, via Culra bothy

Unfortunately it wasn't to be in this case, I'll have another go in a few months once most of the snow has gone
Backpacker
Munro compleatist

Postby Silverhill » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:59 pm

I did that a few years ago (started in Fort William, ended in Kingussie). Had a fantastic time. It’s great walking country. Enjoy your second attempt! :D
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:7   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Postby Backpacker » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:22 pm

Silverhill wrote:I did that a few years ago (started in Fort William, ended in Kingussie). Had a fantastic time. It’s great walking country. Enjoy your second attempt! :D

It crossed my mind to do it last year when I was passing Loch Ossian on my way to Rannoch
Backpacker
Munro compleatist

Postby gaffr » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:15 pm

These 'pass routes' are most certainly not an easy touch in winter. :) In the early fifties a group of folks heading for the pass or it may have been to Ben Alder cottage were overcome by the winter conditions, as other folks have been, on several of the other 'pass routes' during winter in Scotland.....get the wrong day and heavy going underfoot conditions and you can have an epic. With a train station at each end of the walk it would seem attractive but there is a lot of Kilometres in between. A good decision to head back to Corrour if it did not feel right on the day....after all the Bealach Dubh in almost at Corbett height. :)
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby luibnaclach » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:09 pm

good action,turning round,that is :)

brought up in that area,dangerous dangerous is an understatement
luibnaclach
Hill Bagger

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland