walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A birthday Chonzie

A birthday Chonzie

Postby snowdonia7 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:32 pm

Route description: Ben Chonzie via Glen Lednock

Munros included on this walk: Ben Chonzie

Date walked: 18/01/2013

Time taken: 3.1 hours

Distance: 12.5 km

Ascent: 712m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

When my wife asked what I wanted to do for my birthday this year she didn't seem too impressed when I said I was going to Scotland with Neil, even less so as the date drew near and the weather forecast was looking pretty grim. However, as I had booked the Friday off from work and booked the accommodation I was pretty set on making the trip.

It was only going to be a short trip so we decided to base ourselves in Crianlarich and look to do a few of the remaining summits in the southern highlands - the plan was to leave early on Friday so we could arrive in time to do one peak in the afternoon. Although I woke up to snow on the ground there didn't appear to be any in the air and that was the case all the way north; indeed, we set off from Glen Lednock just before midday in beautiful sunshine.

Leaving Glen Lednock.jpg
Neil heading out from Glen Lednock

Low on Ben Chonzie.JPG
Low on Ben Chonzie

Track up Ben Chonzie.JPG
Heading up the track to Ben Chonzie

As we gained height the wind picked up and it was bitterly cold, increasingly so as we gained the summit ridge, where we picked up the old fence (now covered in show and ice). At this point it would have been wise to pause and put on some extra layers, but a touch of summit fever saw us pushing on - I guess hoping to cover up once we got into the shelter of the summit shelter. However, the windchill cut through my mid-layers and I felt the cold setting in to my fingers, and worryingly, my privates. I wasn't to worried about my fingers as I could put them under my armpits, but I couldn't do that with my other cold bits and I thought it would probably be stretching our freindship if I asked Neil to help :lol:

Disappointingly the wind was blowing straight into the summit shelter, so we crouched down outside it to wrap up and take a quick picture, before heading back.

Me on Ben Chonzie.jpg
Cold bits at Summit of Ben Chonzie

Neil on Ben Chonzie.jpg
Neil on Ben Chonzie

For my birthday next year I think I will ask for some winter walking trousers :D
Last edited by snowdonia7 on Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
snowdonia7

Munros:282   Corbetts:8
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:36   

Re: A birthday Chonzie

Postby Stuart Angus » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:48 am

Brrrrrrrr! Happy Birthday:)
Stuart Angus

Munros:81   Corbetts:6
Fionas:3   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:4   

Postby ScottishLeaf » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:20 pm

From one January birthday boy to another,
A reminder for next time yer up here on yer birthday!

ScottishLeaf
Hill Bagger

Munros:114   Corbetts:6
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:6   
Islands:11

Postby munrogimp » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:06 am

Another good one S7 and against all the odds the Met Office stacked against us and like minded souls.
munrogimp
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:3
Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:22   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland