walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

6 North Western Fells & a few Geocaches thrown in

6 North Western Fells & a few Geocaches thrown in

Postby Phooooey » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:23 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Barf, Broom Fell, Graystones, Ling Fell, Lord's Seat, Sale Fell

Date walked: 19/01/2013

Time taken: 5.5

Distance: 18 km

Ascent: 1106m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Brunston Bridge - Ling Fell - Graystones - Broom Fell - Lords Seat - Barf - Sale Fell - Brunston Bridge

New_Route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

It's been several weeks since Damson & I have reached a summit having been interrupted by Xmas and terrible weather. Nearest we got were a wander round the Queens Wood in Leominster with my granddaughters over Xmas week and geocaching at Sizergh Castle with Ellie.

We have been expecting the snow that has obliterated the rest of the country down here on the Furness peninsula and only got a mere smattering, so when the weekend came round we were determined to hunt a little bit down by climbing to it.
To be honest, if this was my only driver, I failed miserably because we drove past most of the snow drenched tops and made our way north to complete some more of the North Western Fells. Having done the Lords Seat ridge a year or so back with my son-in-law, it was time to return and complete the 3 surrounding fells plus find the geocaches on the 3 I'd already done.

The drive north was very easy with very little traffic about and clear, un-icy roads.
We parked up at Brunston Bridge between Ling & Sale Fells and switched on the GPS. Across the bridge to begin with and onto the Corpse Road leading in a big spiral up towards the summit of Ling Fell. The "corpse road" refers to an old cart track built to cart dead persons by horse and cart between dwellings and the churches over the fells in the area. There are several in the Lakes and have been used as the basis of a great book I've been reading from author Martin Edwards who has written 5 books so far based in the Lake District. I've got through 2 so far and they are a great read. A mixture of murder and mountains.

Ling Fell summit
Damson on Ling Fell

From Ling Fell we dropped down to the wall / fence line leading across the bog land towards Graystones. The original plan was to head further west to avoid the worst of the bog but as the ground was frozen it was fairly easy to follow the fence line all the way to our second summit.
Snow fell in single flakes throughout the day which was pleasant and not too cold.

Traverse from Ling Fell to Graystones
Broom Fell & Lords Seat from descent from Ling Fell
Damson on Graystones
Graystones panorama towards Grizedale Pike
Link to 3D view : http://www.dermandar.com/p/eARlQh/graystones-panorama-towards-grizedale-pike

Off to find our 1st geocache next by dropping down off the top lump of Graystones down towards the little woods leading across to Broom Fell. Damson and I stopped for a drop of soup and some biscuits in the corner of the wood before the short ascent to Broom Fell.

Damson stops for lunch in wood

The large cairn atop Broom Fell is not actually its highest point so we covered both to ensure the summit was reached.

Broom Fell cairn looking back to Graystones
Damson on Broom Fell
Broom Fell summit looking towards Lords Seat

For those unaware, geocaching is a glorified treasure hunt using a GPS device to find pre-hidden "caches", small packages hidden in the landscape, at which small trinkets are swapped and a log is completed. These are then logged on a website on your return. There are millions all over the world and several hundred across the district.
I couldn't find the Broom Fell cache as the snow upon the ground on this summit had hidden the clues to it's destination as well as the cache itself.

So on to Lords Seat for todays highest point and a second geocache attempt. Close to the summit I found this cache and completed the log and swapped my little plastic trinket for a Xmas cracker Spinning Top. Geocaching is all to do with the hunt rather than the catch (as with so many things in life!!) :wink:

Damson on Lords Seat
Damson at todays highest point

From Lords Seat we finished the traverse of the ridge across to the lump of Barf overhanging Bassenthwaite Water. Another cache was found here before turning round and the search for the track leading down the fell side towards the Wythop Wood and the final fell for today.

Barf from Lords Seat
Icicles on way to Barf
Damson on Barf above Bassenthwaite
Barf summit
Looking back to Lords Seat from Barf

We struggled finding any path leading the right way and ended up doing a small amount of cross country before reaching a fence outlining an area of the wood that had been felled. We probably took the wrong decision by heading left to skirt this area but we eventually climbed over a very rickety stile and onto a woodland track heading into the woods.
My experience with the GPS device is limited and I ended up trying to pick up a none existent path when the GPS stopped working due to the cover of the trees. This was however soon rectified and the correct path was soon found. I chose the easier road route round the outside of the area known as Ladies Table before climbing back up a short path back to the base of Sale Fell.
The climb to Sale Fell was fairly easy and we joined a large number of other dog walkers on the trek up to the summit.

On top of Sale Fell looking across to Ling Fell
Sale Fell panorama showing almost all of todays walk
Link to 3D view : http://www.dermandar.com/p/azjTVq/sale-fell-panorama
Damson on Sale Fell

My last geocache took me in the wrong direction down the north face of the fell and onto a ledge below a large rock face to find my last cache of the day. Damson quite liked the look of a foam bee so we took that and left an old coin. We'd dropped quite a way to this cache so our trip back to the car followed another uphill drag over the western nose of the fell before dropping back to the river.

Although fairly long, this was a nice and fairly gentle re-introduction back to the fells to start 2013. My aim now is to complete the remaining 26 before 21st June in time for a Champagne Picnic with the multitude of friends and family that want to do my last fell top with me. With this in mind, I've chosen Rannerdale Knotts over Buttermere for my last as nearly all of them should be able to manage that one.
Last edited by Phooooey on Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Phooooey

Hewitts:111
Wainwrights:214   

Re: 6 North Western Fells & a few Geocaches thrown in

Postby Phooooey » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:08 pm

Check out the books mentioned in my blog. Set in the Lake District, he combines murder mystery with an appreciation of our lovely district and love of the fells.
Phooooey

Postby ChrisW » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:36 pm

Another great tale Phooooey, it's nice to see Damson out in her fancy coat stealing the limelight as always, good luck on making your June target - make sure you stay injury free until then :clap:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby SusieThePensioner » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:09 pm

Great to read about your latest adventure, Craig, and the excitement of the geocache as well :lol: No murder mystery then :roll:

Loved the photos, especially Damson posing in her coat of many colours, brightening up the gloom :thumbup:

If you wanted snow, should've headed east to the North Pennines and beyond! :lol:
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby Phooooey » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:45 pm

Hi Chris & Susie,
Nice to hear from you again. Seems like ages since I've been on here last.
The snow has finally hit Dalton & Barrow tonight taking 1.5 hrs to travel back the 7 miles from work.
You shouldn't ALWAYS get what you wish for ... :?
Gives Damson another excuse to wear her coat though! :lol:
Phooooey

Postby ChrisW » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:40 am

Phooooey wrote: 1.5 hrs to travel back the 7 miles from work.

:shock: ......you could have walked it faster....with a back pack on :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Phooooey » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:35 pm

A week later and the snow is back with a vengeance.
No fell walking last weekend as the car couldn't even get off our road due to the volume of snow that fell on Friday afternoon.
Went geocaching on Sunday to take my cache tally to 27.
Hope for better weather next weekend. Could be into the Buttermere Ridge fells.
Phooooey

Postby SusieThePensioner » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:58 pm

Phooooey wrote:Hope for better weather next weekend. Could be into the Buttermere Ridge fells

Fingers crossed :lol:
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland