walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Wow Factor!!!!!

The Wow Factor!!!!!

Postby MountainKaty » Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:49 pm

Route description: Loch Lochy Munros from Kilfinnan

Munros included on this walk: Meall na Teanga, Sròn a' Choire Ghairbh

Date walked: 05/12/2012

Time taken: 7 hours

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Haven't been out in the hills for a wee while so grabbed the chance to get out and bag a few more with my mate Kev (a.k.a. Drammy). Was worried that the weather might get the better of my car and wouldn't get to the hills if the roads were bad......but woke on wednesday to be fairly surprised that the roads looked good!
It was an early start and met in Rothes just after 5am and headed down to Kilfinnan. We parked up just before the bridge and got suited and booted......wasnt sure how it was going to go today, but the glass is always half full so hoped for good weather and a few views!

We certainly got that!!!!!!

Start of the 3.5km walk in.

Didn't take too long to get the signpost indicating the track up through the forest. It was like heading to Narnia!

It was an easy path up the Cam Bhealach......well easy enough i did have some comedy falls into some of the deeper snow!!!! No pics though!!!!! The sun was rising and gave us hope for a good day of clear skies!

We reached the bealach and we saw some of the views to the west, the sky still looked a bit heavy but we had faith it would clear up! From here we started to skirt round Meall Dubh to the col at the foot of Meall na Teanga. The snow was deep in parts and tough going! We then made for the right hand side of the ridge.

It was steep and gave the legs a real workout but it was worth it when we reached the ridge and headed towards the summit. The views were AMAZING!!!!!!! And it was our 150th Munro!!!!!

The summit and some of the views........

From here we followed our footsteps back to the col and took in the views again.

The view ahead looked good, although thigh deep in places i was officially enjoying myself!

Reached the bealach and it was time for a quick bit to eat before the next steep slog up to the next ridge! We saw signs of a zigzag path from a distance but couldnt see when we started heading up so just took the direct approach and headed onwards and upwards! I was chief step cutter today and was loving it, didnt think the day could get any better til i spotted a pair of eagles flying in the thermals above.(sorry my pics were rubbish so won't post them!) The snow on the way up was deep again in places and worked the calfs to bursting point! But it was beautiful blue skies!

Once on the summit again the views were inpressive.......Sron a Choire Ghairbh with 360 degrees of perfection!

Took time to take it all in.........

The sun dropping

It was time to head back to the bealach and take the Cam Bhealach route out again.......the ridge walk out would have been amazing but decided if the sun was going to go down quickly the safer option was Cam Bhealach. It was an easy walk out and an amazing day in the hills, just followed our footsteps all the way to the forest track......i even got a quick glimpse of a low flying jet over the loch.

Once last look back over the loch before the sun disappeared for the day

I have to say that this has to go down as one the best winter walks i've had. It was a fantastic day in the hills! One very happy Katy at the end of it! Munro count at 151 and still loving it! :D :D
MountainKaty

Munros:193   

Re: The Wow Factor!!!!!

Postby McLEOD » Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:59 pm

wow alright, some fantastic beautiful weather you guys had, great pics
cheers :thumbup:
McLEOD
Hill Bagger

Postby SAVAGEALICE » Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:40 pm

stunning :) :clap: :)
SAVAGEALICE

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:79   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:46   Hewitts:22
Wainwrights:33   Islands:21

Postby rocket-ron » Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:12 pm

well done katy. :clap: These where the very first 2 hills i ever did. Got me hooked on walking :)
rocket-ron
Mountaineer

Munros:222   Corbetts:94
Fionas:22   
Sub 2000:15   

Postby morag1 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:39 pm

A great walk with lovely photos, enjoyed reading this :D
morag1

Postby simon-b » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:23 pm

Some great views there, Katy. It's interesting comparing your photos with rockhopper's from the same route. Both sets of pictures show that these two Munros are something to look forward to, for those of us who haven't climbed them yet.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby Scotjamie » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:32 pm

Deja Vu in terms of last report on this pair

simon-b wrote:It's interesting comparing your photos with rockhopper's from the same route

However, this is a stunning report by anyone's measure...well done Katy on a great day out
Scotjamie
Wanderer

Munros:148   

Postby Lenore » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:48 pm

Wow indeed!!
Lenore
Mountaineer

Munros:13   Corbetts:4
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:1   

Postby dawnfoth » Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:13 pm

Wow! It does look like you had an awesome day! These two hills are on my most hated list and I did them seperately (don't ask why!) and swear I will never go back to do them again. Glad you enjoyed them :D Great pics
dawnfoth
Munro compleatist

Munros:269   Corbetts:16
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:11   Islands:6

Postby quoman » Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:48 pm

It sure was the wow factor stunning views.. i done then in the peeing rain :lol: :lol:
quoman
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   

Postby kevsbald » Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:22 pm

Fantastic. Great stuff and a lovely way to hit the 150.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby Mountainlove » Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:30 pm

Wow amazing pictures and it sounds like you had a great day out :D :D
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:88   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Postby SMRussell » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:12 pm

Wow indeed! And timely - these loverly lumps are on my potential hit list for the new year period and, thanks to this report, getting higher and higher up the list :D Superb!
SMRussell

Munros:184   Corbetts:20
Fionas:16   Donalds:34
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:122
Wainwrights:103   Islands:11

Postby dogplodder » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:31 pm

Wow indeed and absolutely gorgeous! :D
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby Meatball » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:41 pm

The title is correct!
Meatball

Munros:63   Corbetts:49
Fionas:7   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:4   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland