walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A long walk to Mount Keen

A long walk to Mount Keen

Postby MountainKaty » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:02 pm

Route description: Mount Keen by Glen Tanar

Munros included on this walk: Mount Keen

Date walked: 15/01/2013

Time taken: 7 hours

9 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Well trying to get our year off to a good start we decided to get back out in the hills again and make good use of our days off!!!! So the plan was get up early and start the walk in the dark with head torches!!!
I have to say i was so excited, the path would be ideal for this we couldna really go wrong. Parked up at the end of the Glen Tanar road and got suited and booted and off we went. :D
The path ahead........ooohhh its dark!

We don't tend to stop much on walks due to time and weather but today was to be lesuirely and a half way hut sounded like a great place for a brew on a cold morning!!!!!
Kev enjoying the brew and view!

It was a great morning for a walk, it was dry and crisp, path was slippy in parts with ice, cloud was a little low but the glass is always half full and we were fairly confident that it would clear..........

It took a while before we got sight of Mount Keen but the path was good and so was the chat! Eventually we reached the bridge where we left the main track and now hit the deeper stuff! :)

The path from here is actually well signed, about 1km up there is an arrow sign pointing way to Mount Keen! The path was a little hard going in places due to the snow drifts across it.......higher than me in parts (not difficult tho.....i'm nae the tallest!!!!) The sky was clearing nicely tho and the sun was teasing us from behind the summit!

View to Lochnagar

It was a fair hike to the summit in the snow, it had firmed up a good deal and we spent the last few hundred metres having fun following the hares.....well we were playing catch up the whole time......they were playing with us with their bounding uphill.....it was great to see them its been a while since we have seen hares!

The views were amazing, had a bit of a Point Break moment......hence the sky diving on the summit!!!!! I crack myself up sometimes!!!!!! :lol:

It was very chilly on the summit so a quick sandwich was inhaled then we headed back the way we came. The look back to summit on the way down added to a great day out. :D

Nearly back to the bridge and back to the main path

It was then back to the long walk to the car, which was fantastic.....didn't see that much on the way in and the walk through the pine forest was beautiful! So all in all a great day out in the hills, along walk in and out but well worth it! :D

Two happy walkers at the end of the day!........got a wee inversion on the way home...... :D

MountainKaty

Munros:193   

Re: A long walk to Mount Keen

Postby PeteR » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:26 pm

Superb photos there :D Lochnagar from Mount Keen is stunning :D I remember it from when I was there a few weeks back. I'm glad you got the summit views I didn't :D :lol: I'm not jealous......much :mrgreen:

You're right about the long walk, but when you get the views you did it's well woth it :D Seems like the perfect winters day.
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:121   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby Lenore » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:13 pm

Lovely day! :D
Lenore
Mountaineer

Munros:13   Corbetts:4
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Ian Johnston » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:28 pm

Great report and some cracking images there Katy!

The sort of day that just re-affirms why we get out there.....

Kind Regards

Ian
Ian Johnston

Munros:282   Corbetts:72
Fionas:20   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:29   Hewitts:128
Wainwrights:118   Islands:64

Postby foggieclimber » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:38 pm

Good to see more photos from your walk on 'the other channel' 8)
Love the trig point sky-dive.
foggieclimber

Postby Graeme D » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:42 pm

Looks like 7 hours of a winter day well spent. Some brilliant crisp looking photos. I love the first bridge one, and the cloud sitting just on the summit, and the sun through the trees at the end. Oh, and the trig point sky diving one is quite cool too! :lol:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby heatheronthehills » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:08 pm

Fab report and great photos. Looks like an amazing day on the hill :D
heatheronthehills
Walker

Munros:208   Corbetts:88
Fionas:68   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:80   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:2   

Postby Sarah86 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:48 pm

What a beautiful area, on my 2013 to do list. Amazing views and photos you got at the summit.
Sarah86
Mountaineer

Munros:18   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:20   

9 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland