walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Craghoppers

Craghoppers

Postby ADavies » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:11 pm

Does any one have much experience with Craghopper gear? As much as I would love to fork out big bucks on big names like RAB, for basics like trousers mid layers, how does this brand do compared to other main steam brands.
ADavies
Scrambler

Hewitts:4

Re: Craghoppers

Postby Backpacker » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:16 pm

I've got a craghoppers 3 in 1 jacket and I love it

Think it' cost me £50 down from about £120

It is wind and waterproof and will keep you toasty when it's cold. Although I wouldn't wear it if it's a continual downpour
Backpacker
Munro compleatist

Munros:18   Corbetts:115
Fionas:38   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:57   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Postby Scotsman2012 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:22 pm

Can't complain about the trousers. Seem to be wearing their winter lined ones a lot at the moment, whether it be out walking or at the football, definitely do as expected and keep my legs nice and cosy! :D

Go Outdoors do regular deals on their stuff so it's worthwhile keeping an eye out for that in the future.
Scotsman2012
Mountaineer

Munros:28   Corbetts:6
Fionas:4   Donalds:9
Sub 2000:7   
Wainwrights:2   Islands:13

Postby tomyboy73 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:26 am

yeah craghoppers are okay , got lined trousers , summer trousers , fleeces all mainly purchased at half price from TKMAXX and oh yeah Bear Grylls weras them !
tomyboy73
Mountain Walker

Munros:186   Corbetts:40
Fionas:9   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:3   Islands:5
Walk wish-list

Postby tenohfive » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:16 pm

They're good and for trousers and mid layers they're the best VFM on the market IMO. I tend to spend the extra on outer layers - waterproofs, down jackets etc - but for cheap mid layers and day to day wear I think they're brilliant.

The only thing I'll specifcally avoid are the zip off trousers. Not stretchy enough to take off the bottom half without taking your boots off, which seems like an utter faff.
tenohfive

Munros:2   
Hewitts:40
Wainwrights:44   

Postby Eskimo » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:07 pm

Everything I have purchased has developed a fault and been sent back. Won't purchase again.
Eskimo

Munros:116   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:13   

Postby Cairngormwanderer » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:58 pm

Used Craghopper trousers for years - best all round trousers going in my book. Although TKMaxx at reduced price is usual source.
Cairngormwanderer
Stravaiging

Munros:125   Corbetts:16

Postby laconic surf » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:26 pm

Whilst I freely admit i'm a walking advertisement for Rab and Mountain Equipment, I often use Craghoppers Kiwi Winter trousers. They'll not win any fashion awards anytime soon but they are bloody warm. I find them a little restrictive so don't use them for anything technical but for a wee yomp out on the winter hills you cannae knock em.
laconic surf
Munro compleatist

Munros:100   Corbetts:1
Fionas:6   Donalds:19
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:2

Postby balgonie » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:24 pm

laconic surf wrote:Whilst I freely admit i'm a walking advertisement for Rab and Mountain Equipment,

:-D I'll vouch for laconic on that he his a Rab walking advert :-)
balgonie
Mountaineer

Munros:139   
Fionas:1   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   

Postby meangarry » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:03 pm

I do like the winter lined numbers, even in wet snow they seem to keep me dry and warm.
I wore a pair of the zip offs to work for all of the last two summers and they survived the rigours of helping folk on and off pedal boats well. They did fade a bit in the sun so the lower legs look daft when re attatched but hey ho.
Recently I have been wearing a pair of haglofs softshell trousers and they are much more comfortable as they are stretchy. If you are just walking then the craghoppers would be ok, anything more active like scrambling then they are a bit restrictive.
meangarry

Munros:29   Corbetts:19
Fionas:15   Donalds:60
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:16
Wainwrights:23   

Postby walkerali » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:33 pm

I love my Craghoppers Kiwi stretch pro trousers, which I find do the job from walking down the High Street to four-season walks, regular indoor climbing sessions and a bit of outdoor scrambling. And because they're so comfy and stretchy they are also great for travelling in. I wear them year-round (dry conditions only), over cosy leggings in winter.

I've also purchased at no great expense some Craghopper fleeces and blouses - they all wear and wash well.
walkerali
Mountaineer

Munros:152   Corbetts:22
Hewitts:39
Wainwrights:67   

Postby gordonmidd » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:12 pm

Have the Kiwi trousers which are excellent, also have an aquadry jacket. The jacket is fine in reasonable weather but not in anything really heavy and doesn't breathe as well as other higher priced items.
I'm a big Berghaus fan, just really like their gear. Can recommend it.
Try a website called sportpursuit, they have sales on for short terms and the prices are always very cheap for quality gear. Other than that outdoorclearance and gaynors are both good for cheaper prices.
Have used them all in pirce matches with gooutdoors to save an extra 10% !!!!
gordonmidd
Mountaineer

Munros:28   
Fionas:3   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:1   

Postby scoob999 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:15 pm

I believe Reggatta and Dare2b are made by Craghoppers ? I can vouch for the dare2b baselayer top, it's all i wear under my goretex jacket all winter :D best prices TKmaxx
scoob999
Munro compleatist

Munros:143   Corbetts:222
Fionas:151   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:145   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:7   Islands:22

Postby rabthecairnterrier » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:22 am

I have a couple of pairs of Kiwi trousers for casual wear but I don't use them on the hill. What I do use on the hill are a pair of Kiwi stretch softshell trousers that I wear all the year round. They are excellent and easily a match for more expensive brands; the only bad thing about them is the "Bear Grylls" logo on the back pocket flap. I had a Corey microfleece which was excellent for the price, but a more expensive Craghopper fleece I bought in a sale wasn't great as the hem drawcord started fraying badly almost straight away. Never been impressed by the look of any of their waterproof kackets.
rabthecairnterrier
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:180
Fionas:129   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:86   Hewitts:110
Wainwrights:56   Islands:41

Postby Luke88 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:28 pm

laconic surf wrote:Whilst I freely admit i'm a walking advertisement for Rab and Mountain Equipment, I often use Craghoppers Kiwi Winter trousers. They'll not win any fashion awards anytime soon but they are bloody warm. I find them a little restrictive so don't use them for anything technical but for a wee yomp out on the winter hills you cannae knock em.

Haha I guess my woman is right, the hills are a fashion parade. I too am guilty :/
Luke88
Mountain Walker

Munros:89   Corbetts:6
Sub 2000:4   

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk