walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Narnain

Beinn Narnain

Postby Robbie Ferguson » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:07 pm

Route description: Beinn Narnain and Beinn Ìme

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Narnain

Date walked: 20/01/2013

Time taken: 5.5 hours

Ascent: 926m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

First report so apologises in advance!

Having not done a Munro as a three since my mate moved down to Birmingham we were eager to get at least one done while he was home, boy in the middle, but due to his limited time home he found himself out till 5am the night before so our 7am start to bag Beinn Ime and Narnain quickly became a 10:30 start and disappointingly Ime was dropped to make sure we were back in day light.

IMG_1167.PNG
Colder than we expected getting out the car before the blood got moving!

Light snow all day but pretty clear and despite having to don the microspikes to get up the forest path and just for a wee bit of stability on the path up the valley all was going well!
Ascended the North side for the shallower incline, especially in the snow.

IMG_1168.PNG
Lovely Weather in the valley though the wind picked up further up the glen

IMG_1169.PNG

Visibility started to abandon us about half way up Narnain but quick double check if the map we were happy enough and even pretty sheltered from the wind on the North face.

IMG_1170.PNG
I'm there somewhere...

Wind picked up and temp really dropped up the top, nice covering of ice across our jackets and having slipped my buff down across my neck I didn't realise it but my beard became a bit heavier and whiter for that matter

IMG_1172.PNG

Jumped up to the trig point but no hanging around, quick picture before a scamper back down the way we came, grabbing a quick bite at the base of the hill, on with a new pair of dry gloves and we were away.

IMG_1178.PNG

IMG_1174.PNG

Got back to the car just as it was getting dark after a great day out and glad to have reminded a mate what he's missing stuck down south!
Robbie Ferguson
Mountain Walker

Munros:11   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   

Re: Beinn Narnain

Postby Silverhill » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:26 pm

Congratulations on your first report! Good ploy inviting your friend from Birmingham. I bet he'll move back to Scotland swiftly! It surely looks you all had fun :D
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:8   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Postby Graeme D » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:55 pm

Aha, the old snow encrusted facial hair look! Cannae beat it! :lol:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby adamg » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:18 am

Great pictures, I was up the Cobbler earlier the same morning but it looks like you got much better views than me!
adamg
Rambler

Postby Robbie Ferguson » Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:37 pm

adamg wrote:looks like you got much better views than me!

Ye, we were pretty surprised, think my mate needing a few extra hours in bed helped us, was pretty clear whole way up the Glen and most of the way up and down the hill, just really the top where we disappeared.

Graeme D wrote:old snow encrusted facial hair look! Cannae beat it!

Aye, first time I'm sporting any facial hair really :P always clean shaven but got lazy over the christmas holidays then stuck with it, thought it might keep me warm till later in the year when things start to thaw out higher up!

Silverhill wrote:Congratulations on your first report! Good ploy inviting your friend from Birmingham

Cheers, wasn't sure how much to write etc, hoped that was a good balance with the pictures. Ye, the plan is to keep sending him pictures of us having a good time everytime we manage out :D
Robbie Ferguson
Mountain Walker

Munros:11   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland