walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Gowbarrow Fell and Number 200

Gowbarrow Fell and Number 200

Postby DaveB1 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:11 am

Wainwrights included on this walk: Fellbarrow, Gowbarrow Fell, Low Fell

Date walked: 13/01/2013

Time taken: 4.5

Distance: 10.73 km

Ascent: 669m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

All catch ups done, here’s the first one for 2013. Once again the bagging of what is now the final push for Wainwright compleation (Yes, I’ve borrowed the spelling from Sir Hugh!), the magic 200 mark is in sight and today was the day. :D :D
With the MWIS forecast saying fine, cold & sunny, extensive views etc., it was off to get Gowbarrow Fell which we’d missed in the rain between Xmas and New Year and then to Thackthwaite for Fellbarrow and Low Fell.
Jim, Cindy (Mrs Jim), Jeremy and of course Lassie were the brave souls who trusted my driving all the way to Dockray and this time having diligently studied the map; found the correct parking spot, which was the same place we’d parked in November to do Stybarrow Dodd and the northern leg of the Helvellyn range.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

The weather was as stated and we soon wandered off down the wrong path :oops: before correcting ourselves (well it looked okay on the map) and crossing the beck to hit the path towards Aira Force. Gowbarrow Fell was obvious on the skyline,
Gowbarrow Fell etc - 130113 009.jpg
Gowbarrow Fell

helped along by a great big green sign on the path
Gowbarrow Fell etc - 130113 012.jpg
Signpost

A steady plod uphill with some beautiful views of Ullswater and surrounding Fells made the walk a good warm up and noticing two fellow walkers had beaten us to the summit; I forgot to get a summit photo but managed instead to get good photos of Little and Great Mell Fell. They looked very benign and pretty compared to our last visit in December’s howling gale and pouring rain.
Gowbarrow Fell etc - 130113 015.jpg
Little Mell Fell

Gowbarrow Fell etc - 130113 016.jpg
Great Mell Fell

Whilst on the top I couldn’t help noticing that Skiddaw and Blencathra were rapidly disappearing into cloud and a nagging doubt about the accuracy of the MWIS forecast crept into my mind.
Returning to the car I said ‘good morning’ to the driver of the car parked next to us, who asked if he was near Great Mell Fell. I noticed he was clad in what appeared to be very new, but expensive kit and he was brandishing a copy of AW’s Eastern Fells. I pulled out my map and pointed to a place we’d parked for our walk up the Mell Fells. He seemed surprised a) he was so far away and b) that a yellow line on the map was a road! Nevertheless in true ex Boy Scout, ex Policeman fashion, he got an excellent set of directions of where to park and how to complete both Mell Fells. It occurred to me on the car journey to Thackthwaite that he may not have realised that AW’s directions are fifty years old and one or two things may have changed since AW was around these parts. Hope he made it okay and beat the weather!
Talking of weather, MWIS were definitely blindsided as the snow arrived about three hours earlier than forecast as when we got to Thackthwaite, this is what greeted us
Gowbarrow Fell etc - 130113 019.jpg
Jim, Cindy, Jeremy and Lassie modelling latest fashion in HighViz vests for Dogs.

As you can see the weather had deteriorated somewhat,
Gowbarrow Fell etc - 130113 020.jpg
Jeremy, Cindy and Grasmoor in the snow

The wind had picked up and it was snowing. A gentleish uphill to Fellbarrow got us to the trig point or as Jim had once heard it described by a very young Scout to his Leader ‘Is this the Strangulation Point, Skip?’. Fellbarrow has also the honour of being Wainwright 200 for me.
Gowbarrow Fell etc - 130113 023.jpg
Fellbarrow Number 200

Fellbarrow was chilly so we pushed on along the ridge towards Low Fell before stopping for lunch, then following the path southwards. Apparently according to AW we should have been rewarded by great views down Crummock Water and Buttermere but as you can see, not today!
Gowbarrow Fell etc - 130113 024.jpg
Crummock Water and Mellbreak,just!

Low Fell was/is a low fell
Gowbarrow Fell etc - 130113 027.jpg
Jim and Cindy, Low Fell

and the views weren’t there, so after the obligatory photos we headed off down a good path back to Thackthwaite. I took this photo of Fellbarrow and a strange collection of random trees.
Gowbarrow Fell etc - 130113 031.jpg
Random Trees & Fellbarrow

Lassie who had had a great day, plenty of stones to chew and fetch, she also found several large branches to carry, which threatened to knee cap anyone who strayed too close to her. On reaching the road suddenly dawdled, head down and melancholy expression reflecting her disappointment that the fun was ending. We cheered up though with a quick pint at the Wheatsheaf, Jennings Cumberland Ale (what else!) in Low Lorton before heading back to the A66 and the drive home.
Attachments
Gowbarrow Fell etc - 130113 013.jpg
Ullswater

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

DaveB1
Munro compleatist

Munros:17   Corbetts:9
Fionas:4   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   

Re: Gowbarrow Fell and Number 200

Postby ChrisW » Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:48 am

Lovely hike Dave, not sure how I missed this one for so long :crazy: but glad I saw it before it slid off the page. If a guy can't tell that the yellow line on a map is the road he should perhaps rethink his choice of hobby :lol: love the 'random trees' shot :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby SusieThePensioner » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:44 pm

I seemed to have missed this as well, Dave. Congratulations on reaching the 200 :thumbup:
Enjoyed all the photos as well :D
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby L-Hiking » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:51 pm

Well done Dave, nearly cracked them all now
L-Hiking
Mountaineer

Munros:78   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:141

Postby DaveB1 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:34 pm

ChrisW wrote:Lovely hike Dave, not sure how I missed this one for so long :crazy: but glad I saw it before it slid off the page. If a guy can't tell that the yellow line on a map is the road he should perhaps rethink his choice of hobby :lol: love the 'random trees' shot :D

Yeah Chris, I wondered a bit when he asked if he was near Great Mell Fell. :? The random trees were a bit odd, i should go back in Summer and explore further.
DaveB1
Munro compleatist

Postby DaveB1 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:36 pm

Thanks Susie and LH, will send out invite to last one probably in April/May. Dave
DaveB1
Munro compleatist

Postby SusieThePensioner » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:43 pm

DaveB1 wrote:Thanks Susie and LH, will send out invite to last one probably in April/May. Dave

That's exciting! Which one is going to be the final one........something nice and easy? :lol:
SusieThePensioner

Postby DaveB1 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:27 pm

SusieThePensioner wrote:
DaveB1 wrote:Thanks Susie and LH, will send out invite to last one probably in April/May. Dave

That's exciting! Which one is going to be the final one........something nice and easy? :lol:

Rannerdale Knotts all being well Susie, it has much to offer, especially its proximity to beer!! :lol:
DaveB1
Munro compleatist

Postby SusieThePensioner » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:44 pm

DaveB1 wrote:Rannerdale Knotts all being well Susie, it has much to offer, especially its proximity to beer!!

I think that's the one that Phooooey has lined up for his last one as well! :D
SusieThePensioner

Postby Phooooey » Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:39 pm

It certainly is ! Its a nice and easy one for everybody else, I have a list of 11 and growing that want to join our champagne picnic. Plans for the 21st June so I'd better get my skates on to complete the other 20 I need before then.
Phooooey

Hewitts:111

Postby garyhortop » Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:59 pm

Well done and congrats on the 200!!! :D
garyhortop
Mountaineer

Munros:3   Corbetts:1
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:34
Wainwrights:14   

Postby DaveB1 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:05 pm

Phooooey wrote:It certainly is ! Its a nice and easy one for everybody else, I have a list of 11 and growing that want to join our champagne picnic. Plans for the 21st June so I'd better get my skates on to complete the other 20 I need before then.

I'm the same boat Phooooey not sure of the date though, but it could be a big party! Dave
DaveB1
Munro compleatist

Postby DaveB1 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:06 pm

garyhortop wrote:Well done and congrats on the 200!!! :D

Cheers Gary not many left now!
DaveB1
Munro compleatist

Postby Circles » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:11 am

Nice report as usual...I've been using a lot of yours and Phooeey's maps for my planning which have been a great help...I did this one from the bottom carpark as I really wanted to see Aira Force...it was the week before Xmas when it was chucking it down so it was 'full force' :lol:
Circles
Hill Bagger

Munros:6   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:90   

Postby DaveB1 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:36 pm

Circles wrote:Nice report as usual...I've been using a lot of yours and Phooeey's maps for my planning which have been a great help...I did this one from the bottom carpark as I really wanted to see Aira Force...it was the week before Xmas when it was chucking it down so it was 'full force' :lol:

Cheers Circles, I'm glad we could help. Aira Force is great, much better in full spate than the trickle in Summer although I'm not sure which Summer that was :lol: :lol:
DaveB1
Munro compleatist

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland