walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Remote Control Rescue

Remote Control Rescue

by Tomsie » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:22 pm

Route description: Stob Coire Easain and Stob a'Choire Mheadhoin

Munros included on this walk: Stob a' Choire Mheadhoin, Stob Coire Easain

Date walked: 26/01/2013

Time taken: 14 hours

Distance: 16 km

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: Remote Control Rescue

Postby peter@caltonathletic » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:27 pm

close one mate but well done for digging deep well done to the spidey fellow for giving you help when it was needed aswell
peter@caltonathletic
Mountain Walker

Munros:153   Corbetts:1

Postby robertphillips » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:31 pm

glad you guys got down safely, and done a walk report, most people would not have done one after that, we have all experienced days like that on the hills. well done :clap: 8)
robertphillips
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:423   Hewitts:179
Wainwrights:214   Islands:39

Postby gammy leg walker » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:29 pm

So glad the turned out well for both of you,great TR & pics too.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby Tomsie » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:32 pm

ceaser wrote:great report john ,you pretty much told it like it was :clap: like yourself , although it wasnt a good experience ,im kinda glad we experienced it ,we,ve walked together a few times in the past ,and im sure we will do alot more in the future ,but this is one walk we will never forget :D

you will probably be like myself and will have ran the events over in your head ,we made some mistakes ,we did the right things at other times ,but we will both have learned a lot from it :) between us we had most of the stuff needed to be on the hills at this time of year ( i had the whistle by the way ) :D ,but the most important piece of equipment was your bothy bag ,it really could have been a life saver ,i,d urge anyone to get one and carry it at all times winter and summer, mines is already ordered :D

i keep thinking of us trying to keep the sides of the bothy bag down with our feet ,me getting cramp a few times in my legs ,and having to stick my legs straight outside the bothy to releive it ,only to bring them back in a few minutes later ,covered in snow :lol:

like yourself ,big thanks to spider for all his help ,the MR and police for the great job they do, and all the well wishers :clap:

Your right Dave will be more and one we wont forget, playing over in my head too, but that will stand to us on future walks.

Glad you had whistle, only whistle I could do is wolf, pointless up there, :lol:

Polly no offence taken, gave me a laugh on Sunday :D

I thought it was a great time they aint easy hills :lol: :lol:

Thanks again for the replys and goodwishes. :clap: :clap: :) :)
Tomsie
Walker

Munros:166   Corbetts:71
Fionas:38   Donalds:36
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:8

Postby tomyboy73 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:41 pm

What can i say, glad you both made it down, saturday night was a bit mad watching it all unfold live on facebook, it was like waiting for the football results in the old ceefax days ! (i can laugh now :lol: )
tomyboy73
Mountain Walker

Munros:185   Corbetts:40
Fionas:9   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:3   Islands:5
Walk wish-list

Postby heatheronthehills » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:12 pm

Gee whizz, just shows how easily things can change so quickly on the hill. Thankyou for sharing the details. It also shows how technology can save lives. Without the GPS and the phone gadgets there may have been a very different ending to the story. Glad you had a happy ending to your story :)
heatheronthehills
Walker

Munros:208   Corbetts:88
Fionas:68   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:80   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:2   

Postby Sgurr » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:51 pm

heatheronthehills wrote:Gee whizz, just shows how easily things can change so quickly on the hill. Thankyou for sharing the details. It also shows how technology can save lives. Without the GPS and the phone gadgets there may have been a very different ending to the story. Glad you had a happy ending to your story :)

This makes it sound as if the change was unexpected. It wasn't, it was forecast. I know how very tempting it is to press on for a second tick, and sitting at my kepyboard it is easy to say that I would have turned back after the first hill, but I am a cautious feartie, and I would.

So glad you both made it down safely....there have been too many tragedies this year already.
Thanks for posting, I've already added stuff to my rucksack in response.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby SAVAGEALICE » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:33 pm

I bet this experience will make you check the forecast more thoroughlly! ..i just wondered if you guys have since gone out and bought a gps?! ? ..definitely another essential bit of kit ..even if most of the time it just sits in the bottom of your bag :D
so glad you both made it down ok, you had us all worried. :D
plenty of nice low level walks to do when weather forecast dodgy! :D
SAVAGEALICE

Fionas:79   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:46   Hewitts:22
Wainwrights:33   Islands:21

Postby sloosh » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:22 pm

I'm curious as to where you think you went wrong and what lessons you feel you have learned?
sloosh

Munros:62   Corbetts:1

Postby soapy27 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:56 pm

Glad it ended well for you both :thumbup: , shows how quick things can change up there
soapy27
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:175
Fionas:23   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:54   
Islands:23

Postby Tomsie » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:36 pm

Sgurr wrote:[quote

This makes it sound as if the change was unexpected. It wasn't, it was forecast.

Thanks for posting, I've already added stuff to my rucksack in response.

Yeah your right it was forecast, we knew it was changing around 13.00, we took too much time

I thought you would have all the gear already. What did you add?
Tomsie
Walker

Postby Tomsie » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:44 pm

SAVAGEALICE wrote:I bet this experience will make you check the forecast more thoroughlly! ..i just wondered if you guys have since gone out and bought a gps?! ? ..definitely another essential bit of kit ..even if most of the time it just sits in the bottom of your bag :D
so glad you both made it down ok, you had us all worried. :D
plenty of nice low level walks to do when weather forecast dodgy! :D

Use viewranger and will continue too, but will need to waterproof it more :roll:

As said on another post we knew the weather forecast, just didnt do it in the time we had planned :(

low level walks :crazy: we'll see 8)
Tomsie
Walker

Postby clivegrif » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:45 pm

Great to read this, knowing you boys are back in one piece.

Definitely a tale of daring-do to terrify the grand-kids with! :lol:
clivegrif
Rambler

Munros:282   Corbetts:37
Fionas:15   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:194
Wainwrights:50   Islands:3

Postby Tomsie » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:53 pm

sloosh wrote:I'm curious as to where you think you went wrong and what lessons you feel you have learned?

Cant say exactly, but when we took cover think it was right to stay where we were until we were told by MR it was safe too walk down from our position, we could have being just over the crags. Plus if we had being on right track would have meant climbing down some rocks and in that weather glad we didnt have too.
Tomsie
Walker

Postby ceaser » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:41 pm

in my case ,ive recently got a GPS , garmin etrex 10..i set the WH route into it ,but when we got to a particular point in the route ,it didnt look safe in the snow ,so we changed route ,unfortunately i still havent worked out how to get the grid ref on it ,if i had ,we could have worked out exactly where we were ,we knew roughly where we were in the whiteout ,but there were crags round about us on either side , we didnt want to walk around blindly ,so we took the decision to get the bothy bag out and see if the weather was going to pass...it wasnt.

i couldnt set new waypoints for our changed route in ,because it wasnt that great a route either ,we were planning on coming down on the other side of the hill.

lessons learned ..i should have learned how to work my GPS better

it was tough going in the walk in and we had to change route ,adding on extra time ,we knew we were pushing it for time (but we had head torches ) went for the 2nd munro ( which was really tough going /energy sapping ) ...we probably should have turned back after the first .
ceaser
Walker

Munros:90   Corbetts:51
Fionas:6   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:1

31 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland