walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Snowy Tinto and new View indicator

Snowy Tinto and new View indicator

Postby CelticSmurf » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:15 pm

Route description: Tinto from the north

Fionas included on this walk: Tinto

Donalds included on this walk: Tinto

Date walked: 15/01/2013

Time taken: 3 hours

Distance: 7 km

Ascent: 486m

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Started with the purchase of winter gloves in sale, hubby makes off the cuff remark as I go through check out "don't know where you think you are going to get snow to wear them" Stop at local supermarket on way home, hubby "what do we need? Oh just munchies for going up Tinto tomorrow to try my gloves in the snow :wink:

Woke much later than expected to a lovely frosty morning, excellent. Flung kids out to school,packed bag,grab camera,grab dog, jump in car lets go, oh wait the dog has no collar on, hubby says last time he saw it our youngest was playing with it, help this is going to be fun! House turned upside down, finally collar is retrieved from the Lego tub :roll:

Arrive at Tinto car park much later than planned but excited as the hill is white.
Set off up nice snowy trail in a lovely clear mild day with no wind or need for my gloves yet. Great views and very calm and peaceful in the snow. Further up it becomes very slippery with hard ice, much to my amusement with hubby doing splits and falling. Plenty of walkers for mid week going up and coming down also those mad people that run up and down hills (yup jealous)
After false summit we took the left fork which in snow was difficult to realise that we had reached the point where path forks into two. From here snow much deeper particularly for my short legs hubby's turn to be amused now. (karma)
Reach summit just as weather is changing, it's bitterly cold at top Yippee time for extra jacket,hat and my GLOVES :) Treated to the most amazing snowbow that looked like a secret door opening to another world either that or it was the portal to get to bottom of hill :) Admire the new cairn info plaque and spend time reading the view indicator, take a few photos before you can't see a thing.
Gave hubby his much looked forward too Double Decker only to be told its frozen brick hard :lol: Pippa the dog has decided there will be more joy with the couple who are having a wee brew up down behind cairn and goes off to huddle between them, turns out it was their first time back up Tinto in 20 yrs, man was saying why do they make these hills so steep his wife replies it's not the hills fault it's you getting old! :lol: Only other person hanging about top was a man over the fence at the trig point with a big radio transmitter.
Head off back down stopping for few photos and chuck some snowballs got to test new gloves are waterproof :wink:
Half way down it becomes treacherous under foot so decide to veer off the path and stomp back down through the heather. Meet a local old boy heading up, stop for a blether and are telling him really slippy further up with ice oh that's a shame he says I have left my crampons at home, no use to me there eh :) Hubby turns to me and says don't you be getting any ideas, me! Seriously you would think he would learn :lol:

Great wee local hill in the snow, much laughs, gloves were fab fingers toastie all the way to tips and we were home just in time for school taxi pulling up. Good for the soul :)

DSC_1007.JPG
Near start looking back towards car park

DSC_1008.JPG
Pippa watching people below

DSC_1021.JPG
Wee Cairn Totherin Hill

DSC_1022.JPG
View heading up

DSC_1028.JPG
Retake hubby wasn't sucking belly in first time

DSC_1030.JPG
Nearly there can see the Cairn

DSC_1037.JPG
Cairn Plaque

DSC_1038.JPG

DSC_1039.JPG
Looking south

DSC_1040.JPG
Summit View

DSC_1041.JPG
View from summit

DSC_1049.JPG
Snowbow

DSC_1064.JPG
Fence line

DSC_1065.JPG

DSC_1067.JPG
Looking along fence line to trig point and radio aerial

DSC_1068.JPG
Looking back towards cairn

DSC_1085.JPG

DSC_1090.JPG

DSC_1093.JPG
Pippa looking for mice

DSC_1094.JPG
Last edited by CelticSmurf on Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CelticSmurf
Mountaineer

Munros:3   
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:3   

Re: Snowy Tinto and new View indicator

Postby Silverhill » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:01 am

I'm glad the new gloves passed the test. What a lovely day for this walk!
Will there be a sequel?
'Started with the purchase of crampons in sale...' :lol:
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:8   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Postby Lenore » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:21 am

What a fun report, had me laughing out loud (people on the train think I'm weird now)!!!
Lenore
Mountaineer

Munros:13   Corbetts:4
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:1   

Postby CelticSmurf » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:28 pm

Silverhill wrote:I'm glad the new gloves passed the test. What a lovely day for this walk!
Will there be a sequel?
'Started with the purchase of crampons in sale...' :lol:

:lol: Thank you
Funnily enough I did find myself having a sneaky look at crampons in the sale at Go Outdoors :wink: Then lo and behold! an extra 10% off coupon came in today, Bargain!! Might be able to swing this yet.
It's a sign I tell ya :lol:
CelticSmurf
Mountaineer

Postby CelticSmurf » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:37 pm

Lenore wrote:What a fun report, had me laughing out loud (people on the train think I'm weird now)!!!

Glad you enjoyed it :)
Love those random outburst of laughter moments in public places, especially the ones when you try to stifle it and make all those snorty noises :D tad embarrassing :lol:
CelticSmurf
Mountaineer

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland