walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Badandun Hill - Fabulous Weather - Miserable Failure

Badandun Hill - Fabulous Weather - Miserable Failure

Postby Gordie12 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:58 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Badandun Hill

Date walked: 02/02/2013

Time taken: 2 hours

Distance: 7.1 km

Ascent: 340m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Recently, I've been snared on Meall Mor, chased down the Cateran Trail (after Crock) by a very angry pheasent and climbed Turin Hill in the mist to avoid angry farmers so today I planned a nice easy climb up Badandun Hill in wonderful weather - what could possibly go wrong????????

The road up Glen Isla had a covering of snow (in places) and some patches of ice with some of the recent snow melt freezing up so the journey took a few minutes longer than normal but I was ready to start for around 10AM.

The Start.jpg
The Start near Little Forter

Mount Blair from Starting Point.jpg
Mount Blair from starting point

The first part of the walk is along the Cateran Trail and heading directly towards Badandun Hill.

Sheep on the move.jpg
Spoiling the Sheep Breakfast

In the early stages the track had a few inches of snow which was hard packed and frozen so most of the time the surface would take my weight with only the occasional slip as the snow gave way underneath me.

Looking Up Glen Isla.jpg
Looking up Glen Isla

Mount Blair & Meikle Forter.jpg
Mount Blair & Meikle Forter

Ignoring the track that heads off to the right to Auchintaple Loch the Cateran Trail continues upwards towards Badandun Hill passing a small plantation of trees on the left.

Track to Auchintaple Loch heading off to the right.jpg
Keeping straight on ignoring track to the right

The track continues it's gradual climb as Badandun Hill gets closer.

Badandun Hill - Getting Closer.jpg
Badandun Hill

Looking Back - no problem finding my way back to the car!.jpg
Looking back towards Mount Blair

Time to leave the Cateran Trail and follow the feint track which heads round the west side of Badandun and then meanders up towards the mid point with Craig Lair.

Leaving the Cateran Trail.jpg
Leaving the Cateran Trail behind

About half a mile after leaving the Cateran the track starts to disappear but no problem as I can see the point between Craig Lair and Badendun that I want to aim for.

The track starts to disappear.jpg
Herd of a couple of hundred red deer in the distance

Red deer disappearing over the hill.jpg
Red deer disappearing over the hill

As I continue the climb I'm probably spending more time off the track than on it as it becomes harder and harder to follow as the snow deepens. At this point there is probably about six inches of snow with pockets of drifted snow up to about 3 feet deep.

Bootprints.jpg
Nearly lost my boots down there!!

Having given up on the track suddenly I found it again :crazy:

Wow, I've found the track again!.jpg

My time on the track was short lived and it was back in to the drifts as I now had my target point on the hill in sight which was basically where the red deer were now watching me. As I continued my slow climb suddenly I went in to a drift but this time there was a difference as I kept dropping. I heard ice breaking then felt cold water on my legs. My feet hit solid ground when I was in over two feet of water with a further three feet of snow on top - someone could of got a good head and shoulders shot as that was all that was above the snow line!! It wasn't easy to get out of the hole I had created but after a couple of attempts I was out but I was soaked up to a few inches above my knees and boy was it cold :shock: :?

I still had a bit of a climb left but now that I was soaked I did something quite unusual and applied common sense to turn round and head back down as I was going to get cold quickly.

On the way back down I met a chap from Blairgowrie who said he was following my footsteps so I warned him not to follow them too closely.

I wasn't hanging about on the way down so just stopped for one final photograph.

Final Shot of the Day.jpg
Last look up Glen Isla

A frustrating end to a really nice walk but I suppose I have a good excuse to go back soon and make it to the top next time.

Back at home looking at the map I can see that there is a burn coming off Craig Lair so it was probably that burn I dropped down in to.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Re: Badandun Hill - Fabulous Weather - Miserable Failure

Postby mrssanta » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:20 pm

ooh ooh dramatic, and very sensible of you to turn back. Just glad the drop wasnt another couple of feet or you might not have been home yet!
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby The Rodmiester » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:08 pm

Pity about the soaking Gordie, not good :( , and on such a fine day with dry snow. A lot of snow has fallen in Glen Isla, and makes for heavy going, especially with water filled boots. Next time, you will make it, after all it took me two attempts to get Mile Hill, and my boots are still drying out. That situation you were in crossed my mind when I was out with JC last Wednesday, (another reason for a walking companion in winter conditions, you just don't know when you might dissapear down a snow covered hole or waterway), Better luck next time :)
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby Gordie12 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:13 pm

mrssanta wrote:ooh ooh dramatic, and very sensible of you to turn back. Just glad the drop wasnt another couple of feet or you might not have been home yet!

Maybe the guy coming up the hill behind me would have stood on my head and found me :lol:
Gordie12
Wanderer

Postby The Rodmiester » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:17 pm

Gordie12 wrote:
mrssanta wrote:ooh ooh dramatic, and very sensible of you to turn back. Just glad the drop wasnt another couple of feet or you might not have been home yet!

Maybe the guy coming up the hill behind me would have stood on my head and found me :lol:

And would you call that a head stand :lol:
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby Gordie12 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:23 pm

The Rodmiester wrote:Pity about the soaking Gordie, not good :( , and on such a fine day with dry snow. A lot of snow has fallen in Glen Isla, and makes for heavy going, especially with water filled boots. Next time, you will make it, after all it took me two attempts to get Mile Hill, and my boots are still drying out. That situation you were in crossed my mind when I was out with JC last Wednesday, (another reason for a walking companion in winter conditions, you just don't know when you might dissapear down a snow covered hole or waterway), Better luck next time :)

I suppose it just reminds you that even the seemingly easiest of hills have to be respected in the winter. Really frustrating though as I was either going to pick up the Cateran Trail on the way down and head round Auchintaple Loch or head for Hare Cairn. By the time I had linked up with the CT my boots and socks were soaked but my legs were starting to dry off and it crossed my mind to turn round and head back up the hill but the thought of a nice hot bath just got the vote (the hill will still be there next week).
Gordie12
Wanderer

Postby Gordie12 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:26 pm

The Rodmiester wrote:
Gordie12 wrote:

And would you call that a head stand :lol:

I had my Titleist hat on so from a certain angle he might just have seen the first three initials which would have been quite appropriate :lol:
Gordie12
Wanderer

Postby Graeme D » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:18 am

Nice photos Gordie! Amazing how deep snow cover can make an otherwise benign hill an absolute nightmarish slog!
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby Gordie12 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:04 pm

Graeme D wrote:Nice photos Gordie! Amazing how deep snow cover can make an otherwise benign hill an absolute nightmarish slog!

Thanks GraemeD.

I have been wanting to do this hill for a few weeks now (since seeing The Rodmiester's report) so I'll probably head back there in the next week or two...............hopefully taking photos from the summit!!!

And yes, higher up in the deeper snow it's pretty hard work but it was just great to be out in sunshine as it feels like it's been a couple of months since I've had a decent day.
Gordie12
Wanderer

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland