walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Meall nan Subh

Meall nan Subh

Postby Frigate » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:28 pm

Route description: Meall nan Subh, Glen Lochay

Corbetts included on this walk: Meall nan Subh

Date walked: 02/02/2013

Time taken: 3.9 hours

Distance: 10.3 km

Ascent: 683m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Trying to hold off my 100th munro until all the gang can get together (any excuse for a party) so thought I would just sneak in Stuchd an Lochain but was foiled by the Lawers road.

On the way up there were several areas of ice on the road caused by water run off, the worst was about 15m long, take a good run and keep the wheels straight.
As I went round the first bend on the hill you could see all the passing places stowed with parked? abandoned cars, there must have been about 80 before reaching the car park, which was full. Here the road was rutted ice and freeze/thaw snow, no chance being by myself, so where to go.

I have completed the Munros in Glen Lochay but still one corbett outstanding.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

SAM_0727.JPG
Distant Ben Challum from Kenknock

Lovely drive along the road in the sun and bagged the last parking space, booted and spurred for 11.50 and off up the road past the farm. There was an RAF MR vehicle parked in the car park and as I walked past Kenknock farm a SAR Seaking flew up the glen and took a right towards Heasgarnich.

Glorious views of the snow covered hills with bright sunlight colouring the snowy areas.

SAM_0728.JPG
Ben More and Stob Bennein

SAM_0730.JPG
Creag nam Bodach

Followed the road up until a likely looking route showed on the hill then off piste and the fun started.

SAM_0731.JPG
General route upwards

At first it was try to avoid the snow banks as the were soft and did not offer support so follow the tussack grass upwards. As height gained this reversed and it was easier to walk on the snow - well relatively, still lots of soft deep patches to catch you unawares.

SAM_0732.JPG
Disturbing the wildlife

SAM_0733.JPG
Sgiath Chuil across Glen Lochay

I found it hard going especially on the calves but hey ho walk through it.

I was not navigating, well I mean I looked at the map and was going by salient features but not really following a bearing. The snow fields were dictating where I trod so it was a meandering course, aiming upwards.
On the ridge I climbed a knoll to get a view to find another higher knoll about 1/2km away so headed for it. Guess what another one was behind this one, then another. They were only 30-40m high but with the snow they could have been double this height.

SAM_0734.JPG
Ist top

SAM_0735.JPG
2nd top

SAM_0738.JPG
At last

At last I made the true summit which towered right over Glen Lyon and what a view.
Meall Ghaordaidh is a straight forward, plain hill form Glen Lochay but with the three buttresses it is well impressive from Glen Lyon.

SAM_0740.JPG
Pubil in Glen Lyon

SAM_0741.JPG
Glen Lyon and the butresses of Meall Ghaordaidh

SAM_0743.JPG
Meall Ghaordaidh

SAM_0742.JPG
Ben Lawers and Beinn Ghlas peeking out

SAM_0745.JPG
Lawers range

SAM_0736.JPG
North west to Achaladair and others

The route back was a 'straight' line south towards the car park via a stone cairn.

SAM_0744.JPG
Ben Vrlich and Stuc a Chroin

SAM_0746.JPG
Way home via cairn

SAM_0747.JPG
Glen Lochay

SAM_0748.JPG
Car park (in the trees)

SAM_0749.JPG
Kenknock and up the glen

SAM_0750.JPG
Streamside chandelier
Frigate
Munro compleatist

Munros:137   Corbetts:12
Fionas:2   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:9
Islands:12

Re: Meall nan Subh

Postby Graeme D » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:22 am

I enjoyed this one in summer, but it looks even finer in winter. And you're right about Ghaordaidh - definitely shows her finest side to Glen Lyon. :D
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby davedanson28 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:08 am

Cracking photo's, hurry up and get that 100! :lol: I was up Sgaith Chuil today, met the RAF guys, we took it in turns breaking track on the second Munro! :D I had gone up from the Dochart side, cracking day!
davedanson28
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:5
Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:4   

Postby pigeon » Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:02 pm

A nice wee plan b Kev,where'd you get the camera from :wink:
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:130
Fionas:41   Donalds:40+7
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2
Walk wish-list

Postby Frigate » Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:23 pm

Graeme D wrote:I enjoyed this one in summer, but it looks even finer in winter. And you're right about Ghaordaidh - definitely shows her finest side to Glen Lyon. :D

Thanks Graeme, I think there are some cracking areas to explore just off the established beaten track, just too many hills and not enough time.

davedanson28 wrote:Cracking photo's, hurry up and get that 100! :lol: I was up Sgaith Chuil today, met the RAF guys, we took it in turns breaking track on the second Munro! :D I had gone up from the Dochart side, cracking day!

Thanks Dave, how'd you get out without the wee man, I bet you were popular on return home.

pigeon wrote:A nice wee plan b Kev,where'd you get the camera from :wink:

That's three times now I've been frustrated by the weather for accessing Glen Lyon. The private link road from Glen Lochay to Glen Lyon was clear of snow as well - sigh.
Work decided to loan it to me, better than photographing pipes and tanks
Frigate
Munro compleatist

Postby davedanson28 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:00 pm

No Wee Guy this time......he is confined to the lower slopes until the white stuff has gone.....mums orders following all the recent avalanches, he will be fully rested come spring! :shock:
davedanson28
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:5
Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:4   

Postby Silverhill » Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:36 pm

The best way up Meall Ghaordaidh is definitely from Glen Lyon!
Stunning pictures of the winter wonderland 8)
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:8   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Postby Gavin99 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:55 pm

Nice one Kev , that looks like a more interesting route than the short way up from the top of the pass. How was the road over to Pubil , it looks like there are some serious potholes , were the gates locked ?
Gavin99
Mountaineer

Munros:280   Corbetts:134
Fionas:79   Donalds:71
Sub 2000:38   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:16   
Walk wish-list

Postby Frigate » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:48 pm

Gavin99 wrote:Nice one Kev , that looks like a more interesting route than the short way up from the top of the pass. How was the road over to Pubil , it looks like there are some serious potholes , were the gates locked ?

Thanks Gavin, there are some serious holes mainly at the hairpin bends. The gates were shut but not locked had it not been late I may have been tempted to go fetch the car but had already wasted to much time trying the Lawers road.
Frigate
Munro compleatist

Postby rockhopper » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:27 pm

Certainly was a great day last Saturday ! Know what you mean about that road - can get very slippery. Lovely views and very clear - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby ScottishLeaf » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:08 am

I was next door on Ghaordaidh.
What a day it was for walking in Glen Lochay.

That wee road is in terrible nick, really needing repairs, plenty of places for water to lie. Especially when the road passes the big pipe. I guess it'll be well down Stirling Council's list of priorities to fix though.
ScottishLeaf
Hill Bagger

Munros:114   Corbetts:6
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:6   
Islands:11

Postby Frigate » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:34 pm

ScottishLeaf wrote:I was next door on Ghaordaidh.
What a day it was for walking in Glen Lochay.

That wee road is in terrible nick, really needing repairs, plenty of places for water to lie. Especially when the road passes the big pipe. I guess it'll be well down Stirling Council's list of priorities to fix though.

Aye it was a grand day, does not the road belong to the hydro who I doubt will even have a list.
Frigate
Munro compleatist

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland