walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Herman Law to Bodesbeck Law (and back)

Herman Law to Bodesbeck Law (and back)

Postby foggieclimber » Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:49 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Andrewhinney Hill

Donalds included on this walk: Andrewhinney Hill, Bell Craig, Bodesbeck Law, Herman Law

Date walked: 02/02/2013

Time taken: 5.5 hours

Distance: 18.5 km

Ascent: 890m

18 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I set off yesterday morning to walk the ridge from Herman Law to Bodesbeck Law, including Andrewhinney Hill. I had been looking forward to walking this ridge for some time.

This walk would have been shorter had I arranged to have a car at each end of the ridge traverse. It was however a really nice day, so I didn’t mind retracing my steps back along the ridge re-ascending a number of hills.

I parked just beyond Birkhill, where there is room for a couple of cars in a small lay-by just off the A708.

Click here to see a map of the route undertaken

From the lay-by, I walked a hundred metres or so along the road crossing from the Scottish Borders into Dumfries and Galloway. I climbed over a gate beside a sign advising, “Public footpath”. I then crossed a small grassy area, diagonally, to reach another gate which provides access to the hillside.

The initial ascent of Herman Law was definitely steep. The grass was frozen which possibly made the ascent easier.

Initial ascent up Herman Law:

I then followed the fence all the way up Herman Law, as far as the summit. The fence has a number of arrows on it marking the way.

Following the fence up Herman Law:

I reached the summit of Herman Law less than 40 minutes after setting off. Herman Law is a Donald and New Donald.

I took a photo of my GPS at each top yesterday to help me remember when I got back where each photo was taken from.

At the summit of Herman Law:

Looking across to Moffat Hills from Herman Law:

Looking towards Trowgrain Middle and Mid Rig from Herman Law:

From Herman Law, I made my way across to the next top, Trowgrain Middle.

The underfoot conditions yesterday were terrific - the ground was frozen solid, so no wet feet. When I undertook this walk yesterday, I had no idea which were Donalds, New Donalds and Donald Tops. I looked all that up when I got back :roll:. Trowgrain Middle is a Donald Top.

At the top of Trowgrain Middle:

Looking back to Herman Law from Trowgrain Middle:

Looking across to Moffat hills from Trowgrain Middle:

From the summit of Trowgrain Middle, I took a wee diversion to visit another area that looked as high as the summit cairn.

Looking back towards the Trowgrain Middle cairn from another high point:

From Trowgrain Middle, I made my way along to the next top, Mid Rig. This Mid Rig doesn’t appear to be a Donald, New Donald or Donald Top. I got a bit confused as there is another Mid Rig further along the ridge which is a New Donald. Further, the large cairn on Mid Rig isn’t at the top.

Looking towards Mid Rig from cairn at 644m top:

Summit of Mid Rig:

Looking towards Andrewhinney Hill from Mid Rig:

From Mid Rig, it was a pleasant easy walk towards the highest hill of the day, Andrewhinney Hill.

Approaching the summit of Andrewhinney Hill:

Andrewhinney Hill is a Graham, Marilyn, HuMP, Donald and New Donald.

My first brief stop of the day was at the summit of Andrewhinney Hill.

View from the summit of Andrewhinney Hill:

Loch Skeen (zoom):

After a quick drink, I took another small diversion this time to get a view across to the Grey Mare’s Tail waterfall. I recommend the diversion.

Grey Mare’s Tail waterfall (zoom):

Grey Mare’s Tail waterfall (zoom):

Looking across to Carrifran Gans and White Coomb:

Looking towards Swatte Fell and the Saddle Yokes:

I then returned to the ridge fence-line and continued to follow it towards Bell Craig.

Looking towards Bell Craig and Bodesbeck Law (in the distance):

Bell Craig is a Donald and New Donald.

At the summit of Bell Craig:

Looking back to Andrewhinney Hill from Bell Craig:

Looking towards Mid Rig and Bodesbeck Law:

Swatte Fell and the Saddle Yokes from Bell Craig:

From Bell Craig, I continued on towards the second Mid Rig of the day. This Mid Rig is a Donald Top and New Donald.

Looking back to Bell Craig and Andrewhinney Hill from Mid Rig:

Looking towards 608m top and Bodesbeck Law from Mid Rig:

The next wee top doesn’t make it into the Donald/Donald Top list as it is below 610m (2000ft).

Heading for 608m top and Bodesbeck Law:

As I made my way along the ridge, I got my first view of the day down into the glen.

Looking down glen towards Moffat:

Approaching the summit of Bodesbeck Law:

It was great to reach the summit of Bodesbeck Law. It only took 2Hrs 25Mins to traverse from Herman Law to Bodesbeck Law. Bodesbeck Law is a HuMP, Donald and New Donald.

Looking towards the Ettrick hills from the summit of Bodesbeck Law:

Looking towards the Ettrick hills from the summit of Bodesbeck Law:

Looking across to the Hart Fell horseshoe:

Looking back towards Bell Craig and Andrewhinney Hill from Bodesbeck Law:

Queensberry (zoom):

From Bodesbeck Law, I could have descended to the road and walked back along the road to my car. The walk back along the ridge was however a much better option – safer than walking on the narrow, winding road and not so hard on the feet.

I only had two brief stops on the way back along the ridge – at the summit of Andrewhinney Hill and at the 644m cairn on Mid Rig.

Back at the summit of Andrewhinney Hill:

Looking back from Andrewhinney Hill:

Back to the 644m cairn on Mid Rig:

While stopped at Mid Rig, I could make out a snowy hill to the South-East. I think the hill is the Cheviot.

The Cheviot (zoom):

Eildon Hills (zoom):

As I approached the col between Trowgrain Middle and Herman Law, I skirted the side of the hill to reach the path leading back to the car.

Descent of Herman Law:

Final descent back to the car:

On reaching the car I had a look at the stats on my GPS. Surprisingly, only 890m ascent for the day despite ascending most hills twice.

An enjoyable day out :).
foggieclimber

Re: Herman Law to Bodesbeck Law (and back)

Postby Gordie12 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:55 pm

Hi foggieclimber

I've never walked in this part of the country but that looked like a good wander on a really nice day.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby Johnny Corbett » Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:20 pm

Cheers for that, thats another route i've been looking at. Looks a good walk and Saturday was definatley the day to be out :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby ChrisW » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:15 am

That looks a cracker Foggie, one I would have really enjoyed myself. I love those endless round-tops that stretch out in front of you, I'm surprised it came out at 890, I would have thought it would be more with the return. Anyway, it's never about the numbers it's about the day and this looks peprfect :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby gmr82 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:18 pm

Hi foggieclimber

Saw you submitted this report before you commented on my Lowthers trip, just had a chance to read it all now. Great to see a report of these hills together and not too demanding at all to do all in one trip. Looks likely I'll do this before winter is over
gmr82
Mountain Walker

Munros:27   Corbetts:7
Fionas:21   Donalds:51
Sub 2000:39   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:3   

Postby meangarry » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:19 pm

The view over to loch skeen is one of my favourites. It seems that there were a few wh'ers out round my locale on saturday. I'm gutted I was working and didn't bump into anyone.
meangarry

Munros:29   Corbetts:19
Fionas:15   Donalds:60
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:16
Wainwrights:23   

Postby hills » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:03 pm

Great report foggie, good views from this ridge, lovely... 8)
hills
Hill Bagger

Munros:255   Corbetts:170
Fionas:172   Donalds:88
Sub 2000:191   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:32   Islands:34

Postby rdtoward21 » Fri May 03, 2013 12:46 pm

Looks like a great day out. Have done a few of those hills and it is a stunning part of the countryside!! Have now added this route to my list to do :D
rdtoward21
Mountaineer

Munros:24   Corbetts:7
Fionas:8   Donalds:23
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:15   

Postby vixana » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:31 pm

did most of this today, but parked at Grey Mares Tail car park, walked up road to Herman Law path, then over the tops and straight down from Bell Craig to the car park, steep but do-able, saves re-tracing your steps :wink:
vixana
Mountaineer

Postby Collaciotach » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:47 pm

I have never even consider anything South of the line ... you may just have changed my mind :D

Good pics and looks like a grand area to walk :clap:
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:25   
Islands:28

Postby FiferStu » Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:27 pm

Great TR and pics, Foggie. Thanks for sharing! :clap:

It's now 10 years since I walked these hills myself (although my route that day was a linear one, Tibbie Shiels to Moffat). You brought some fine memories back for me! And you've certainly put this route in my plans again for the near future.

These pics are a reminder that there's some fantastic walking to be enjoyed south of the Highland line. I especially liked the zoom shots of Loch Skeen and the waterfall. What camera do you use? I assume it has a 'superzoom'?
FiferStu
Walker

Munros:36   Corbetts:14
Fionas:15   Donalds:28
Sub 2000:10   

Postby robertphillips » Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:14 pm

vixana wrote:did most of this today, but parked at Grey Mares Tail car park, walked up road to Herman Law path, then over the tops and straight down from Bell Craig to the car park, steep but do-able, saves re-tracing your steps :wink:

passed you yesterday near andrewhinney hill.
robertphillips
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:423   Hewitts:179
Wainwrights:214   Islands:39

Postby vixana » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:58 pm

passed you yesterday near andrewhinney hill.

you were the only person we saw, very nice dog you have :D
vixana
Mountaineer

18 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland