walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Amazing SUNNY Scotland....Honest!

Amazing SUNNY Scotland....Honest!

Postby davedanson28 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:00 pm

Route description: Meall Glas and Sgiath Chuil from Glen Dochart

Munros included on this walk: Meall Glas, Sgiath Chùil

Date walked: 02/02/2013

Time taken: 8.45 hours

Distance: 16.25 km

Ascent: 1235m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

With a forecasted gap in the weather (small miracle) I had to get out onto the hills, it would be my second trip of 2013 and hopefully my first clear summits of the year :roll: . Kyle “Wee Guy” is officially banned from the hills until the white stuff has gone (mums orders) :( , obviously he is not happy but it is the sensible / safe option. He will be well rested come the spring, god help me as he has got big plans this year! :shock: So it was just me and the faithful dug on this one. Sgiath Chuil and Meall Glas where the chosen targets. I planned to follow the WH route up from Glen Dochart. Arriving at the parking at Auchessanat 8.30, I had the parking to myself. :D Quickly getting the boots on I was walking towards the farm by 8.45, the skies where blue and the sun was already in the sky, it looked set to be a great day as per the forecast. It was a frosty start so the wet / boggy ground was frozen which made it relatively easy going up the good track, soon I had the T-shirt on as the sun was pretty warm…..is it really the 2nd February!
DSC02041a.jpg
Sgiath Chuil
Gaining height quickly I was soon at the top of the fenced plantation; it was here I had a quick water stop before breaking out onto the open moorland heading for the snow line. As I reached the dam over the Allt Robain the wind picked up so it was on with the warm layers. The views where already amazing, looking back towards Ben More amongst others. From the dam I headed straight at the hill of Sgiath Chuil, the higher I got the harder the snow. It was a direct route so height was gained very quickly.
DSC02055a.jpg
Ascent of Munro 1, S. Chuil slopes
DSC02058a.jpg
Blue skies
At approx. 750m it was time for the crampons, Marley switched on his four paw drive! :lol:
DSC02059a.jpg
Marlster about to activate 4 PAW drive! ha ha.
I had to keep stopping and taking pictures, this was turning into one of those days, beautiful….just WOW! :D I decided to head first for the lower summit of Sgiath Chrom then past the wee lochan before pushing up the final steep climb to the summit.
DSC02075a.jpg
Munro 1, SC. Ben More and pals behind
DSC02077a.jpg
The obligatory panorama
The views where amazing, I was so glad to be where I was, could see virtually every mountain in a 50 mile radius! From here I could see some people coming from the North over Meall a Churain, I decided that I would head to that top before tackling the very, no VERY steep descent into Lairgig a Churain off to the West. Once I had visited the top I then consulted the map before deciding that a safe glasade was possible, it was pretty amazing and exciting, covered about 300m descent in about 45 secs. It was the longest I have ever done but great fun. :wink: The route to the second hill was going to be tough, deep snow (energy sapping); I started my ascent towards Beinn Cheathaich, stopping regularly. Even Marley looked a bit bushed. The other guys eventually caught me up and we all then took it in turns to “break track”, cutting steps on the very steep bits, this certainly helped me recover. I have never been so glad to reach a cairn! Must be getting old!
DSC02119a.jpg
The final push up Meall Glas
DSC02120a.jpg
Almost there, Benn Challum of to the right
Once here we could easily see the final summit of the day, Meall Glas just a short distance away! I left two of the guys on the summit waiting for their other two team mates to finish the ascent. Once on Meall Glas I had a serious food and liquid stop which worked wonders, I could see Benn Challum, not far away but two far for today! I had already got my route off mapped out because of the good visibility and as it was only 3.30 new I had 2 hours of day light left so should comfortably be back at the car park before dark.
DSC02126a.jpg
Munro 2, Meall Glas, Marley waiting for the RAF MR guys
The four guys reached the final summit just before I left and asked if I could take a photo for them, it was at this point that I realised they were part of the RAF MR team, good guys! :clap: We said our goodbyes, they headed North and I south! Great day, best bit is that I will have to come back to these hills with the “Wee Guy” and do it all again!
DSC02129a.jpg
Sun set on a magic day
I was back at the car from 5.30 just as it was getting dark, a long day, and a tough day but certainly worth it! :D
davedanson28
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:5
Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:4   

Re: Amazing SUNNY Scotland....Honest!

Postby Silverhill » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:27 pm

Nice to see these two on a clear day. 8) Like the picture of Marley on 4 paws drive :D
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:7   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Postby tomyboy73 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:34 pm

nice one dave, did these on a similar day in december, except it was very , very windy and what is this glasade you speak of ? I just slid down the hill on my bum :? good choice leaving the wee guy behind especially after recent events, if only to keep the wife happy :lol:
tomyboy73
Mountain Walker

Munros:185   Corbetts:40
Fionas:9   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:3   Islands:5
Walk wish-list

Postby davedanson28 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:54 pm

Silverhill wrote:Nice to see these two on a clear day. 8) Like the picture of Marley on 4 paws drive :D

Thanks silver hill, it was a beautiful day! :D
tomyboy73 wrote:nice one dave, did these on a similar day in december, except it was very , very windy and what is this glasade you speak of ? I just slid down the hill on my bum :? good choice leaving the wee guy behind especially after recent events, if only to keep the wife happy :lol:

Thanks tomyboy73....yes sliding on my bum is exactly what I did! :lol: The wife is happy, Wee Guy is chomping at the bit...praying for the snow and ice to melt! :wink:
davedanson28
Munro compleatist

Postby coachmacca » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:06 am

Was up there on Saturday and after a nice clear ascent the final top was totally closed in clag that came in very fast so its nice to see where we were standing ! :lol:

Have to say though it was the boggiest Munro I've been on yet!
coachmacca
Stravaiging

Munros:39   Corbetts:7
Fionas:5   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   

Postby davedanson28 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:10 pm

coachmacca wrote:Was up there on Saturday and after a nice clear ascent the final top was totally closed in clag that came in very fast so its nice to see where we were standing ! :lol:

Have to say though it was the boggiest Munro I've been on yet!

Shame you never got the views....there is always next time! :D
The ground was frozen solid when I climbed these hills so did not experience the bogs.......however I am sure you will experience far worse in the future! :lol:
Cheers Dave.
davedanson28
Munro compleatist

Postby Johnny Corbett » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:02 pm

A cracker of a day you got. Shame the wee guys banned but as they say mum knows best. I think if my mum seen what i get upto on the hills i'd be banned as well. :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby davedanson28 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:28 pm

Johnny Corbett wrote:A cracker of a day you got. Shame the wee guys banned but as they say mum knows best. I think if my mum seen what i get upto on the hills i'd be banned as well. :D

Thanks Johnny, the weather gods where certainly on my side! :D The wee guy has managed a couple of munros since this report so all good! I know what you mean about mothers banning you, these hills make us do mad things! :lol:
davedanson28
Munro compleatist

Postby smalltounboy » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:29 am

Great photo's, I climbed Schiehallion that day, despite the wind higher up it was a cracking day to be roamin in the gloamin,

Mark
smalltounboy
Stravaiging

Munros:150   Corbetts:12
Fionas:4   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:1

Postby davedanson28 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:48 pm

smalltounboy wrote:Great photo's, I climbed Schiehallion that day, despite the wind higher up it was a cracking day to be roamin in the gloamin,

Mark

Thanks Mark and it certainly was! Well done on Schiehallion! :D
davedanson28
Munro compleatist

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland