walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Drumochter 4

Drumochter 4

Postby gman » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:58 pm

Route description: Beinn Udlamain and Sgàirneach Mhòr

Munros included on this walk: A' Mharconaich, Beinn Udlamain, Geal-chàrn (Drumochter), Sgàirneach Mhòr

Date walked: 07/02/2013

Time taken: 7.5 hours

Distance: 24 km

Ascent: 1072m

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

drumochter 4 actual 7-2-2013.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

First hills of the year, thought Beinn Udlamain and Sgairneach Mhor looked like an easy day with the option of adding on the other 2 if I felt up to it :D

Hadn't been on the A9 past Perth before so that was interesting, got to the layby & set off about 8:30. Followed the road to a railway underpass:

Then wandered up the landrover track, drifting snow was deep in places but mostly ok:

First bridge over Allt Coire Dhomhain and ridge to Sgairneach Mhor:

Second bridge, straight up from here on an easy gradient:

View from the ridge including the Sow of Atholl and the low cloud which I was just about to walk into :D :

No views today, but here's the first cairn/trig point:

Pattern for today - get to claggy cairn, down to bealach, back up to claggy cairn etc. Sometimes there were fence posts to follow:

Beinn Udlamain cairn, my favourite so far despite the lack of a trig point:

More fence:

Decided to go for the four, got pretty cold on the way to A' Mharconaich so I was hoping for a worthwhile cairn. Instead I got this :lol: :

Onwards into the murk:

Another cairn on the way to Geal-charn, impressive after the last travesty :D :

Mountain hare for company:

Down to the bealach...and finally! A view! Loch Etricht:

Geal-charn sporting a bonus cairn:

Time to head back down out of the clag:

More cairns on the way back to the road:

Cloud lifting on A' Mharconaich now grrr :crazy: :

Headed straight back towards the cottage instead of following route so I missed the start of the track, which would probably have made the descent easier. On the track:

Level crossing:

And back to the road, there's a path at the side so no probs:

Easy start to the year, I would go for the 4 if you're travelling far as 2 would be a pretty short walk.
gman

Munros:250   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:1   

Re: Drumochter 4

Postby The Rodmiester » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:32 pm

A fine day out on the hills gman, pity about the low cloud :( It looks though a lot of the snow has dissapeared from the summits, which allowed reasonable walking. Nice to get out, and good distance covered :)
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby Alzay » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:46 pm

Thanks for the report I'm doing the southern two next Sunday, I did the north two a few weeks back but the weather was that bad it stopped us doing the four in one day.
Alzay
Mountaineer

Munros:6   Corbetts:1

Postby The Rodmiester » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:20 pm

Alzay wrote:Thanks for the report I'm doing the southern two next Sunday, I did the north two a few weeks back but the weather was that bad it stopped us doing the four in one day.

Hi Alzay, mind to include the wee Corbett The Sow of Atholl when you head off to do the two Southern munros, hardly any extra walking. See report 'Big 3 tame the wee 4 plus 1'
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby balgonie » Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:02 am

Good report gman and pics are pretty much like mines as I was there that same day we probably passed eachother in the clag like passing ships in the night :-D
balgonie
Mountaineer

Munros:139   
Fionas:1   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   

Postby PeteR » Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:28 pm

A good effort getting these four done in the one go. Shame about the clag though. Seem to recall that's all I saw when I did these hills :lol: Still, I'll go back on a crisp, clear winters day and get the benefit of the views then :D Have to say it looks a cold day when you were there.
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby gman » Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:48 pm

Conditions were good for walking, not too cold & the trudge back up the road was probably the worst part :D

Alzay wrote:Thanks for the report I'm doing the southern two next Sunday, I did the north two a few weeks back but the weather was that bad it stopped us doing the four in one day.

Hope you get better views than I did!

balgonie wrote:Good report gman and pics are pretty much like mines as I was there that same day we probably passed eachother in the clag like passing ships in the night :-D

Saw 3 other guys when I was heading up Geal-charn? Other than that it was just me & the rabbits :lol:
gman

Munros:250   Corbetts:4

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland