walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A Short Escape - Ben Vorlich.......

A Short Escape - Ben Vorlich.......

Postby wilkiemurray » Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:00 pm

Route description: Ben Vorlich and Stùc a' Chròin

Munros included on this walk: Ben Vorlich (Loch Earn), Stùc a' Chròin

Date walked: 10/02/2013

Time taken: 3 hours

10 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Ben Vorlich (985m) Lochearn

Having not been out for a few weeks I was feeling the need to escape. Only had until midday free so decided on an early start and a hike up Ben Vorlich. Additionally the roads further north were a bit snowy so I reckoned the south road on Lochearn would be ok and it was.

Arrived at Ardvorlich just after 07.00am was on my way before sunrise. Amazingly there was only a slight breeze – seems to me that 90% of this winter has been characterised by gale or storm force winds!! Forecast was for a high cloud base and light winds so I was surprised and lucky to catch a little early sun hitting Vorlich and Ben Our as the sun came up.
DSC04993.JPG
early morning sun catching Ben Our

DSC04989.JPG
pink vorlich

However this soon disappeared and the rest of the walk was a little grey – not complaining though as it was great to get out. Crampons were stuck on about 600m and off I went –a nice little hike up and the cloud base was above the top for most of the way giving nice views to the central belt. However on reaching the summit a little clag moved in – typical!!! It took just under two hours to reach the top. I then headed back down and met a few other hikers who obviously were taking advantage of the less windy weather to get out and about. Was back at the car for 10.30 and home for 11.20 = everyone happy.

DSC05011.JPG
pano of Vorlich
DSC05002.JPG
wilkiemurray

Re: A Short Escape - Ben Vorlich.......

Postby The Rodmiester » Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:14 pm

Ta for posting that, really enjoyed the video as always. How do you manage to get the overhead shots and also the views from behind? Bet you had the best of the day and now back home well in time for the rugby match :D
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby tomyboy73 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:11 pm

some great early morning pictures, and great wee video, although don`t know if i should watch it with this hangover :lol:
tomyboy73
Mountain Walker

Munros:185   Corbetts:40
Fionas:9   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:3   Islands:5
Walk wish-list

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:04 pm

Stunning video - but the temperature in my room has just dropped 20 degrees listening to that wind :lol: :lol:
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:278   Corbetts:20
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Postby rdtoward21 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:11 pm

Enjoyed the video. A great walk, did it back in december, just before Xmas.
rdtoward21
Mountaineer

Munros:24   Corbetts:7
Fionas:8   Donalds:23
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:15   

Postby wilkiemurray » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:57 am

The Rodmiester wrote:Ta for posting that, really enjoyed the video as always. How do you manage to get the overhead shots and also the views from behind? Bet you had the best of the day and now back home well in time for the rugby match :D

Thanks Rodmiester - overhead shots are basically the camera on a pole and the pole shoved down between my rucksack an back!
wilkiemurray

Postby wilkiemurray » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:58 am

tomyboy73 wrote:some great early morning pictures, and great wee video, although don`t know if i should watch it with this hangover :lol:

yeah - not advised when feeling sickly or with a hangover - too much bobbing about when camera on head cam etc etc - sorry :lol: :o :lol:
wilkiemurray

Postby wilkiemurray » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:59 am

Huff_n_Puff wrote:Stunning video - but the temperature in my room has just dropped 20 degrees listening to that wind :lol: :lol:

was breezy - the microphone on camera always makes it sound worse though - still not figured how to edit wind noise out :(
wilkiemurray

Postby The Rodmiester » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:17 am

wilkiemurray wrote:
The Rodmiester wrote:Ta for posting that, really enjoyed the video as always. How do you manage to get the overhead shots and also the views from behind? Bet you had the best of the day and now back home well in time for the rugby match :D

Thanks Rodmiester - overhead shots are basically the camera on a pole and the pole shoved down between my rucksack an back!

Very clever :clap: You mention wind noise, can tape or a foam piece or both be applied to microphone, just a suggestion, that you have probably tried already. Grear to see Vorlich in the snow. Come to think of it going back on my suggestion, I suppose it would baffle the noise of the boots and crampons on the icy snow, and spoil the effect totally, so disregard my silly idea. By the way I see there were 3 persons on the hill overnight the night before you went. Roll on the the next video, with sound effects :D
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby Scotjamie » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:49 pm

I can't do the video stuff, but I can do appreciation...thanks wm - great wee movie :clap:
Scotjamie
Wanderer

Munros:148   

Postby Stuart Angus » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:24 pm

Nice, very nice :thumbup:
Stuart Angus

Munros:81   Corbetts:6
Fionas:3   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:4   

Postby MountainKaty » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:17 pm

Belting video :clap:
You've taken some great photos too, thanks for sharing :D
MountainKaty

Munros:193   

Postby rockhopper » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:53 pm

Enjoyed your video and some lovely photos, especially the alpenglow in the early shots :thumbup: It's a pity about the lack of views at the top though. Takes me back to day of clear blue skies 26yrs ago almost to the day (how time flies :crazy:) - this was my first winter munro in the snow which we approached via Ben Our - thanks for that - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby gymman47 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:57 pm

Magic video and I was up there couple of weeks ago and its a great wee climb. :clap: :clap:
gymman47
Munro compleatist

Munros:17   Corbetts:2
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:4   

10 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland