walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Gelert tents

Gelert tents

Postby jenniferc6 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:20 pm

I am thinking about buying a lightweight tent and was wondering if gelert tents are any good? I would like to start going camping a bit more this year but don't really go often enough to justify spending hundreds on a top of the range tent. I've got a cheap dome style tent which I use just now but the door leaks in the rain so would like something a bit more weatherproof.
jenniferc6
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:182
Fionas:42   Donalds:9
Sub 2000:37   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:10

Re: Gelert tents

Postby rockhopper » Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:24 am

I don't have a gelert tent but I had a similar issue a couple of years back. Hadn't been camping since my BB days in the '70s, wanted to try it but didn't want to spend a lot in case I didn't like it. I had a look at the gelert tents - the solo was about 1.5kg but I wanted to be able to get my rucksack inside as well and didn't think it would be big enough. Going up to their 2 person tent meant a weight gain. However, I may be wrong but I think the deciding factor was that these tents were inner pitch first - I wanted an outer pitch first or an all-in-one pitch in case I was pitching in the rain. In the end I went for a Vango Banshee 200 - technically 2 person but would be tight but going solo I can get all my stuff inside it. Also, it is an outer first pitch, or as I do, keep the inner attached to the outer and pitch all in one. It does weigh about 2kg but I carry the tent in a small compression sack with the poles separately down the back of the rucksack and the pegs also separate. Don't know if this is any help but one thing to think about is how it pitches ? cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby CelticSmurf » Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:01 pm

Haven't owned a gelert but wouldn't recommend. You want to buy the best tent you can within your budget. You need to be safe,dry and comfortable if you have right tent for your needs it makes camping all the more enjoyable experience. Wind and rain are a big factor so read lots of reviews. Look at hydrostatic head ideally 3000 or higher, how it pitches whether inner and outer can be pitched as one or outer first handy when weather against you, I have an old Blacks vixen tent great wee tent but pitches inner first then flysheet ties on if its raining or windy time u get pitched inner is wet! Small porch area handy for wet gear and muddy boots.Midge nets on doors are fab! Would also recommend buying pegs that are suitable to ground you will be camping on, Glencoe laughs at the ones that come with tents :lol: I always carry extra groundsheet gives a bit more protection from damp wet ground also ideal for packing tent back up on dryer surface, also gaffa tape is great cheap fix as a get you home if poles split or tent rips. Whatever tent you buy practice pitching at home, look at how it is packed as you unfold it easier when comes to packing back up, always dry tent after use and if stored for a while get tent out on decent day an air it. The right tent will last for years so will be money well spent. Shop around for the best price,stores like gooutdoors have tents up so you can crawl in and out and get an idea of what you do and don't like. Hope this is off help. Happy camping :wink:
CelticSmurf
Mountaineer

Munros:3   
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:3   

Postby Barcode » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:42 pm

I am also presently in the market for a new tent... :D

I bought a Gelert Solo for a trip to Knoydart last May and whilst it is lightweight, it is incredibly small. I'm 5'10 and with carrying my 65l sack, that had to be used as a pillow whilst I adopted the foetal position each night...incredibly uncomfortable and also, one of the poles broke after several pitches.

I've been looking at the Coleman Cobra 2 and the Avior...anyone have experience of these?
Barcode
Mountaineer

Munros:3   

Postby jenniferc6 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:10 pm

Thanks for the advice everyone, much appreciated :). I think I will look around for a good one which pitches outer first - I guess it's better to pay a bit more for a decent tent which will keep me dry and last for a few years rather than a cheaper one which won't last.
jenniferc6
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:182
Fionas:42   Donalds:9
Sub 2000:37   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:10

Postby ADavies » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:21 pm

I own the Gelert Solo, and I have to say although its cheap and light, its very small. I can just about fit in it am I'm 6 foot. Although easy to pitch, its its raining your going to get wet. The other major issue i have is that I cant sit up in it and there is no porch to cook in if it is raining.

Its a step up from a bivvi and could work as a just in case tent, but I wont be planning on using it on any more trips.
ADavies
Scrambler

Hewitts:4

Postby sultan » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:56 am

I have the 'Solo' as well and as has been said it really is small but is lightweight and I have only used it when I have known it would be dry. Not really much use in the wet because once inside you can sleep and turn over but not much else. You need to change/cook etc outside so if it was wet you would get your 'dry' clothes wet which kinda defeats the purpose. Cheapness, easy to erect and lightweight are the main upsides but it does come with a few downsides as above.
sultan
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:12   
Islands:12

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk