walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Bin of Cullen from Cullen Old Kirk

Bin of Cullen from Cullen Old Kirk

Postby gyles » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:03 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Bin of Cullen

Date walked: 15/02/2013

Time taken: 2.5 hours

Distance: 11.2 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This was a 2nd attempt to do this Sub. Myself and my father tried this 2 days ago but we got a bit more snow showers and strong winds than we bargained for. We abandoned climbing the summit knowing there would be no visibility at the top, in the end just completing a circuit through the woodland.

However today I was back for more to finish what I intended and I'm glad I waited for a better day.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I repeated the same route from 2 days ago, an alternative route which is longer and makes for more of a morning or afternoon walk. This could be started within the town of Cullen itself however I found a public car park on the edge of town. This car park I guess is designated for the Cullen Old Kirk.

Starting here I made my way down the lane towards the Kirk in hope there is a way through to Cullen House on the other side. Going through the main gate, turn to the right of the yard and there's another gate which takes you through.

003.JPG
Take the lane from the car park

004.JPG
Cullen Old Kirk

005.JPG
Right turn to take you out to Cullen House

Your now in the private grounds of Cullen House with access restrictions. Roadways are open to pedestrians but not public vehicles, the gardens are also private too. Make your way round the other side of the house and you will reach the bridge over the Burn of Cullen.

006.JPG
Burn of Cullen

Over the bridge the tracks split off in different directions. You could probably make any route to your leisure going though to reach the Bin.

008.JPG
Bin of Cullen

There is a patch of farmland with good access to get around it, before long you reach mixed woodland, once again there's various routes you could take to get through, I tried taking the shortest possible. A nice woodland generally coniferous with some patches of deciduous species. Some areas of Rhododendrons which I'm sure will be spectacular in flower.

015.JPG
Rhododendrons

017.JPG

018.JPG

The terrain was easy going, fairly flat and straight forward, however as the tracks started to climb I knew I was upon the Bin even though I couldn't see it within the woodland. Within no time I reached the summit.

031.JPG
The summit

029.JPG
Cullen

036.JPG
Buckie

034.JPG
Knock Hill

043.JPG
Pyramidal peak of Tap o'Noth on the horizon

050.JPG
Rounded summits of Little & Meikle Convals, white slopes of Ben Rinnes beside them

I retraced my walk back down and took my walk to the south where I done a full circuit round the woodland, returning back to the car after 2.5 - 3 hours.

I was impressed by the views from the summit, I'm glad I waited until today. The woodland walk was enjoyable and the Kirk and Cullen House were fantastic buildings to see.

I would highly recommend this walk.

Thanks for reading. :)
gyles

Munros:33   Corbetts:5
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:23   
Islands:2

Re: Bin of Cullen from Cullen Old Kirk

Postby denfinella » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:56 pm

Looks like a great walk, and lovely views! Added to my list...
denfinella
Wanderer

Munros:88   Corbetts:40
Fionas:37   Donalds:24
Sub 2000:72   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:6   Islands:46

Postby Gordie12 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:28 pm

That looked like a good walk and I loved the views from the summit.

We both posted walks today and you would think we lived in two different countries :D :D
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby Benjaminnevis » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:43 am

The walk looks a lot more enjoyable than playing the golf course :lol: mind you a trip to cullen is never wasted if you visit the ice cream shop and the chippy used to be real good as well.
Benjaminnevis
Hill Bagger

Munros:38   Corbetts:15
Fionas:7   
Sub 2000:27   

Postby morag1 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:18 am

that looks a great walk, just a shame its so far north for me.

Is that where Cullen Skink comes from then, my all time favourite soup :D
morag1

Postby gyles » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:40 am

Gordie12 wrote:We both posted walks today and you would think we lived in two different countries :D :D

Yeah it's amazing you don't need to go far and the conditions can be completely different.
gyles

Postby gyles » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:44 am

morag1 wrote:Is that where Cullen Skink comes from then, my all time favourite soup :D

It certainly is, I should have tried some whilst I was there.
gyles

Postby foggieclimber » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:52 am

Nice to see a report of a very close to home hill.
I've been up this one a few times but never from Cullen. I'll need to try your route. Cheers.
foggieclimber

Postby Phillida » Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:34 pm

The roadway through the grounds of Cullen House is open to pedestrians on Tuesdays and Fridays between 1.30 and 4.30pm
Phillida
Scrambler

Munros:14   Corbetts:2
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:10
Wainwrights:2   Islands:1

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland