walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

DIY Foam Mattress

Re: DIY Foam Mattress

Postby lochlaggan » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:42 pm

Excellent Zebbedy!

Worth a try although I think it might be a tab bit thin. Will give this a go :clap: :clap:

Thanks
lochlaggan
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:212
Fionas:4   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   
Islands:11

Postby PhilTurner » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:59 pm

You're after a polyethylene foam from the -Zote range, probably Plastazote or Evazote (I believe Evazote is more durable but could be wrong). If you find a friendly industrial supplier they can cut exactly what you need from a large block.

Try getting in touch with Paulamar in Kirkintilloch and explain what you're after.
PhilTurner

Munros:42   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:26   

Postby murwilson » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:54 pm

brpro26 wrote:I usually sleep on a 1/2 bottle of whiskey when in a Bothy, never feel a thing but sometimes my head hurts :?

brpro26 I think I may be able to assist. If you stop drinking that foreign muck and partake of the real Whisky, you'll be just fine :)

As for the ops original point, seriously, Exped downmat or Big Agnes Insulated air core. You can't go wrong, so warm and comfy, you'll be dreaming of sweet maidens all night.

Mur
murwilson

Postby lochlaggan » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:57 pm

Thanks Phil
This sounds like the thing I want!
lochlaggan
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:212
Fionas:4   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   
Islands:11

Postby Tinto63 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:52 am

Why not try a foam shop as recommended above. Our local one, The Foam Centre, Causewayside, Edinburgh, stocks a huge range of materials and sizes and has always been helpful when we've needed anything.
Tinto63
Wanderer

Munros:129   Corbetts:46
Fionas:38   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:30   

Postby brpro26 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:30 am

murwilson wrote:
brpro26 wrote:I usually sleep on a 1/2 bottle of whiskey when in a Bothy, never feel a thing but sometimes my head hurts :?

brpro26 I think I may be able to assist. If you stop drinking that foreign muck and partake of the real Whisky, you'll be just fine :)

Mur

What you mean Aldi isn't an island Malt?....better switch to the Lidl blended glycol. Thanks for the tip Mur :wink:
brpro26

Munros:220   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:9   

Postby Dwiea » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:58 pm

ZEbbEDY wrote:check out the Dutch army sleeping mats they are a lot thicker than normal ones

Love the idea of the Tie-Ribbons!
Dwiea
Hill Bagger

Munros:13   Corbetts:2
Fionas:1   Donalds:5

Postby nikijam88 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:36 am

DIY Foam Mattress is reall good and comfortable but always use double orthopaedic mattress is also nice.
nikijam88
Ambler

Postby bikerbill » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:42 pm

Quick question: What is a 'tent footprint'? Could it be new speak for a ground sheet?
bikerbill
Walker

Munros:5   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:1   

Postby mrssanta » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:01 pm

bikerbill wrote:Quick question: What is a 'tent footprint'? Could it be new speak for a ground sheet?

it's a groundsheet with fittings so that you can use it instead of the inner tent to make a single skin tent, bigger but draughtier and midgier in my opinion. anyway, if your inner tent is needed to hold the thing up, such as with most inner first pitched tents where the poles are attached to the inner, the "footprint" allows you to dispense with the inner. they tend to be quite expensive.
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby Rudolph » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:28 pm

bikerbill wrote:Quick question: What is a 'tent footprint'? Could it be new speak for a ground sheet?

It's a flat piece of material (usually waterproof) and usually the same size and shape as the groundsheet. Bought ones can often be used as MrsSanta says but more generally they are useful to protect the delicate groundsheet from sharp objects which would cause punctures. If you make the sheet yourself you can make it big enough to cover the whole area under the flysheet. I like it like that cos it gives you somewhere semi dry to sit when getting the wet gear off before going into the inner.
Rudolph
Mountain Walker

Munros:280   
Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk