walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Music on Narnain

Music on Narnain

Postby munrobagpiper » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:33 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Narnain

Date walked: 20/02/2013

Time taken: 4 hours

Ascent: 926m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This is technically hill number two of my personal quest to play my pipes on as many munros as possible, with my ascent of Ben Lomond ruined by cloud last month, but with the day I had, it is hard not to think of this being the day it all began!

As I hopefully work through the munros in the coming years, I hope to "bag my pipes" then "bag the munros" and if today was anything to go by, it is going to be a fun ride.

The day started in Bishopbriggs, with the snooze button getting hit several times. Work was awaiting me at 5pm, and I was still lying in bed at 9am wondering what to do with my day. I looked out, saw it was a glorious day, and thought, lets do it. I packed my bag, and off I went.

It was 1130 by the time I got to the car at Succoth, and I have to admit, I was a bit worried I wouldnt make the top and get back in time for work.

I was able to make good time, and before I knew it I was looking back at Loch Long and it all seemed very far away. I had done this hill previously (pipeless), so wasnt stopping as often for pictures, the one I wanted was at the top!

The climb was fairly uneventful, a little scrambling here and there, and a couple snowy patches. As I came towards the final 100m or so, things began to get a little tricky in the snow, but fortunately I was able to make it to the top.

I unpacked my pipes, put on my kilt, and let rip a couple of tunes. Being by myself, I was relying on someone being there to film and photograph. Fortunately out of nowhere, a friendly Irish chap emerged, he said he thought he was going mad when he heard the pipes. He was very excited, and was kind enough to record me.

Narnain piping.jpg
Piping at the top of Ben Narnain

I couldnt stay too long, as much as I wanted to stay and watch the sunset, I set to get down. I managed to get to the car park for half 3, and was showered and at work in Bearsden bang on five! Work was a bit of a crash down to earth after a surreal day in the mountain. But the memories of being among the hills, and fresh air, was enough to motivate me through, and have me planning my next munro bagpiping adventure.

Check out www.facebook.com/castlepiper, and like the page, for more photos and videos, and updates on my coming adventures.
Last edited by munrobagpiper on Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
munrobagpiper
Mountain Walker

Munros:136   Corbetts:3

Re: Music on Narnain

Postby simon-b » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:53 pm

That's a nice photo, MB. Are you planning to play the pipes on top of the Inn Pinn? That would be something worth seeing/hearing!
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby celt54321 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:15 am

well done,what a great idea.i will listen out for you on my trips this year. :) :)
celt54321

Munros:50   Corbetts:11
Fionas:3   Donalds:3

Postby soapy27 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:45 am

great idea hope I hear you one in the hills one day :D
soapy27
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:175
Fionas:23   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:54   
Islands:23

Postby peter tindal » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:52 am

MB - You could be the walkhighlands piper........ the queen has a piper, why can't we :wink:
peter tindal
Mountain Walker

Munros:231   Corbetts:2
Fionas:4   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:11
Wainwrights:2   Islands:10

Postby quoman » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:58 am

Great idea the WH piper...I will listen for you when am out on the hills :clap: :clap:
quoman
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   

Postby Mountainlove » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:53 pm

You need to post when you are out...would be great to hear a bit of bagpiping on a hill!!! Lol you shoudl try it on Ben Nevis in sumer ...you would make a fortune with all the tourists up there :D
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:88   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Postby alfie » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:35 pm

brilliant MB!would make my day if a climbed a mountain and you wer there playing the pipes!!hope to see ye on a mountain top soon bud!love it! :clap:
alfie
Munro compleatist

Munros:102   Corbetts:2
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   

Postby dogplodder » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:20 pm

What a great idea! :thumbup:

We came across this guy on Beinn na Lap and he drew quite an audience. :D

DSC00779-large.jpg
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby munrobagpiper » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:39 pm

simon-b wrote:That's a nice photo, MB. Are you planning to play the pipes on top of the Inn Pinn? That would be something worth seeing/hearing!

It is my plan to do it eventually yes. It has been done before, I found a video on youtube. I am only just getting into hill walking, so it may be a year or so before I tackle the Cullins.
munrobagpiper
Mountain Walker

Munros:136   Corbetts:3

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland