walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

What a difference a day makes on Meall Ghaordaidh

What a difference a day makes on Meall Ghaordaidh

Postby Second chance » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:07 pm

Route description: Meall Ghaordaidh from Glen Lochay

Munros included on this walk: Meall Ghaordaidh

Date walked: 19/02/2013

Time taken: 4.5 hours

Distance: 9.5 km

Ascent: 895m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Hi What a diffence a day makes,
In planning my trip to Meall Ghaordiadh, I read a walk report written by Peter193 http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/blogs/Peter913 based on his experiences on the 18 Feb 2013. In his trip report he described how it was very cold and misty on the Monday. The following day when I climbed the Munro the weather couldn't have been better, Sun, warmth, little to no wind, in fact perfect !

With the -6c frost during the night the normally wet peaty boggy lower slopes were hard enough to walk on freely and allowed good progress. By 10am I was having to unbutton jackets and fleeces as it was getting very warm. With the unbroken sunshine and no wind it was heating upo nicely.
Once reaching the shoulder of the south east ridge the snow started to appear. It had a very hard surface which also made walking easy. Only where the snow met clumps of grass etc did it give way.

Once on the steeper upper slopes you had to take more care. However previous walkers had carved out pathways to the summit which where east to see, and it was just a matter of following the best route to the top. As I ascended I came face to face with Ptarmigan which was surprised as I was to see each other on the hill. The birds interest in me lasted long enough for me to get some photos. See my report in Wildlife sightings on this site.

On the top it was a magic experience the 360 visibility was excellent, no wind and quite beautiful.

On the way down the higher temps had softened the snow and also the peat bogs, but I suppose you cannot have it all, thats whats great about the outdoors, its always changing ! Hope you enjoy my photos.

Regards, Second Chance.
Attachments
27b. (640x480).jpg
Across Glen Lyon
24a. lawers closer view (640x480).jpg
Lawers Group
21. Glen Lochay with Mamlorn Hills at back (640x480).jpg
Glen Lochay & Mamlorn Hills
17. Trig point (640x480).jpg
Summit wind shelter
Second chance
Munro compleatist

Munros:26   

Re: What a difference a day makes on Meall Ghaordaidh

Postby smike » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:13 pm

Great stuff - I have been steaming with envy of anyone who has been able to get out in the hills this week - the forecast has been immense - I'm glad someone's out there enjoying it!
smike
Munro compleatist

Munros:40   Corbetts:4
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:39
Wainwrights:46   

Postby simon-b » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:07 pm

Really excellent photos, SC, particularly the one looking north across Glen Lyon. It's nice to see a white ptarmigan, they'll be changing colour next time I'm in the Highlands.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby Mountainlove » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:18 pm

Oh you are so lucky getting such a great day!! Some great photos...need to have a look at the other ones you mentioned as well. Thanks for sharing.
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:88   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Postby heatheronthehills » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:47 pm

Stunning photos! Looks like you had a great day out. We did this hill back in the summer and it looked a bit different then!!
heatheronthehills
Walker

Munros:208   Corbetts:88
Fionas:68   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:80   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:2   

Postby Johnny Corbett » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:25 pm

I was just up the road from you on the Corbett, Meall Bhuidhe. It was a cracker of day indeed and like you say 360 visibility and no wind, perfect. :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby gymman47 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:44 pm

Great pics and hope I have as good weather this weekend as going there on Saturday.

Nice One

JP :)
gymman47
Munro compleatist

Munros:17   Corbetts:2
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:4   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland