walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

the eastern fannichs

the eastern fannichs

Postby highlander218 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:35 pm

Route description: Sgùrr Mòr and the eastern Fannichs

Munros included on this walk: An Coileachan, Beinn Liath Mhòr Fannaich, Meall Gorm, Sgùrr Mòr

Date walked: 17/02/2013

Time taken: 9.5 hours

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

arrived at at torran dubh around 8 am with surrounding peaks covered with heavy mushroom cloud formations and fog patches low in the glens which given a good forecast i was ever hopefull things would clear, set off however along the north side of the river , most of the way the path was well frozen so proved quite easy going upto junction of allt an loch sgeireach which i followed uphill well up into the corrie and found an easy crossing point, its worth noting here its not easy to cross in wet weather, climbed up onto ridge upto 756 mtr point on creag dubh fannaich and changed jacket gloves and put crampons on ready for the higher slopes, continued along very easily uo onto beinn liath mhor fannaich summit with a grand veiw opening up in by now clearing conditions.

Image0255.jpg

Image0257.jpg

in winter conditions a quite tricky descent follows here needing axe & crampon work with the ground falling away very steeply to the nw so descended sw again pretty steep down to little coll below, sgurr mors east face looked magnificent from here and my phone pics dont really do it justice,

Image0258.jpg

Image0261.jpg

crossed the 944 point and begin super climb up the narrowing ridge onto sgurr mor, big slope behind you here in winter and very steep on both sides so needs care, i stayed in the centre and curled round upto follow the heavily corniced ridge onto the top,

Image0268.jpg

Image0271.jpg

Image0274.jpg

the route to the next summit is very obvious in clear weather and set off on good hard snow making easy progress down and along the ridge to meall nan peithireans 971 mtr top with grand veiws into the west of sgurr nan clach geala and surrounding summits

Image0263.jpg

Image0275.jpg

arrived on meall gorm munro no3 for the day and stopped to take a look back at sgurr mor

Image0282.jpg

dropped down easily to 775 mtr coll and begin final uphill struggle of the day onto an coileachans summit top

Image0284.jpg

Image0286.jpg

its worth noting from bealach ban below meall gorm - an coileachans northern slopes look very steep from that angle but in fact descending off north to the 565 mtr point its was no problem, and soon dropped down to the lochside,

Image0293.jpg

Image0295.jpg

ive seen many comments re the state of the path down the river back to torran dubh but i went due north from the loch gorm met the river and followed it down to the bridge crossed to the left hand bank [ descent ] and found it ok, i had been expecting a lot worse,
another fine winter climb and i was so looking forward to camping at ledgowan the night !! - 8 c
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

highlander218
Stravaiging

Munros:240   Corbetts:10
Fionas:6   
Hewitts:77
Wainwrights:124   

Re: the eastern fannichs

Postby SAVAGEALICE » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:34 pm

thankyou for posting ...really useful as i am planning to do these soon :) :) still looks pretty snowy up there! :D looks a good day :D
SAVAGEALICE

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:79   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:46   Hewitts:22
Wainwrights:33   Islands:21

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland