walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Slioch February 2013

Slioch February 2013

Postby scottishkennyg » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:58 pm

Route description: Slioch, near Kinlochewe

Munros included on this walk: Slioch

Date walked: 22/02/2013

Time taken: 9 hours

Distance: 19 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Slioch Wester Ross
Date 22 February 2013

An opportunity to get back out on the hills came as a result of the works flexi time. Opted for Slioch as it was near and hoped that the frost would solidify the ground making for easier walking than the alternative wet bog drudge. The weather looked great with a big high pressure and clear blue skies promising great views.
At 715 picked up Andy for his first sortie for a long time. We arrived at the car park in Incheril and got kitted up.
slioch 003 (1024x545).jpg
Car park

We set sail at 830 passed the plaque then along the loch side path. Recommend not taking a bike. Superb views over to Torridon and up Loch Maree.
slioch 005 (1024x321).jpg
View To beinn eighe

slioch 007 (1024x746).jpg

slioch 037 (1024x515).jpg

After about 30 minutes we got a glimpse of the target. At the same time we encountered a wee herd of feral goats that were not spooked by another two non lookalikes.
slioch 032 (1024x331).jpg

slioch 025 (1024x351).jpg

We reached the bridge after about an hour in time to take another couple of images across loch Maree with the still water.
slioch 044 (1024x573).jpg
Mirror

We crossed bridge and followed path up the glen alongside the river. Just before the base of the ridge we headed NW up onto the hill aiming for the gap between Sgurr Dubh and Meall Each.
slioch 053 (1024x527).jpg

slioch 057 (1024x658).jpg

After about 50 minutes the entrance into the Coire na Sleaghaich was reached. Photo opportunity. Unfortunately the clouds were moving in and it was not possible to see the summit or even the nearby top of Sgurr an Tuil Bhain but hey ho it is winter.
slioch 063 (1024x408).jpg

We strolled along the coire up to the snow section at the head. We elected to track up to reach the main ridge to aim for the two lochans. There was no sign of a path due to the snow. Our route was bit steep at one section and tricky as the snow was hard and not easy to cut in. I forgot to put on the yaktrax pro ice walkers, even Andy had managed to buy a pair.
slioch 074 (1024x517).jpg

slioch 075 (1024x512).jpg

We joined the ridge at the two lochans which were covered in thick ice. Shame there was no shiny stones around for curling. Andy arrived looking the worse for wear at this point so decided to have a rest and load up on calories.
slioch 086 (1024x512).jpg

slioch 096 (1024x577).jpg

Continued up following the obvious paths over the ridge to arrive at the SE summit cairn.
slioch 101 (1024x570).jpg

slioch 102 (1024x733).jpg

Decided it was time to put on the ice grippers for confidence. Another wee climb to reach the trig point cairn (1248) then checked map to confirm that the real summit was a wee bit further on. Five minutes later it was there.
slioch 106 (1024x589).jpg

Retraced route in poor visibility shouting out for Andy…At the SE summit I was beginning to get concerned. Then out of the mist he was there.
slioch 117 (1024x800).jpg

slioch 120 (1024x739).jpg

A bit of encouragement and a slice of millionaire shortbread and we were back over the tops to the true summit take two. (1348) Two other lads appeared and asked us if this was the real top. Must have thought we were a couple of numpties up there with no rucksacks. We had left them at the east top.
Anyway time for the return leg. This is where the first critical fault with the yaktrax ice grippers became evident. One of the thin rubber straps just snapped. Pants. I guess they are not suitable for 13 stone traversing movements, too much lateral load. Still four outings before partial destruction, works out about £2.50 per shot. Not sure I should claim a new pair from e bay… Still I did buy the micro spikes at Tiso for £27.77 which might get a shot next time.
We continued and out of the blue or white a little ptarmigan appeared with winter plumage. Nice one. Not the best picture.
slioch 124 (1024x767).jpg
ptarmigan in there somewhere

As I waited in the corrie I noticed another climber ascending via a snow covered gorge..and it was late in the day…I was in two minds what one to watch as Andy was struggling over a white section and the other guy…
slioch 148 (1024x532).jpg
Andy cutting the floor

slioch 151 (1024x709).jpg
Man on steep slope

Andy appeared and said he had lost his new ice gripper and I could have the other one..Result. Nah..I went back up to the snow section and managed to find it. Off we went leaving the guy working his way upwards into the clouds.
On the way down we took the path which aimed direct for the bridge. This was very stony and punishing on the joints.
Still we got back down safely and I decided to cool the feet in the fast flowing water under the bridge. Felt something tickling my feet, thought it was ferns, or other plants..Nope it was ice. Still it took the heat out of the sore toe.
slioch 166 (1024x609).jpg
n Ice bath for feet

We walked back along the loch side and spotted a wee dipper in the water, Photo was too dark to show. We also spied plenty of deer including a pair of hinds who seemed to be joined together at the hind, and three big stags who watched over us as we headed out.
slioch 174 (1024x722).jpg
Hind to Hind

We had another glimpse of the goats and then it was back to the car at 1730 safe and sound and delighted to be able to enjoy a day like this. One hour later it was pitch black, just hope that the two other walkers got back down safely. Back in the house bathed and fed for 1900. Result.
Last edited by scottishkennyg on Wed May 28, 2014 6:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.
scottishkennyg

Munros:282   

Re: Slioch February 2013

Postby dogplodder » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:42 pm

Those goats made us laugh when we met them up there. Did you smell them? I've heard others say you smell them before you see them but think I must have been so wiffy myself I didn't notice! :lol:

Love your pic of the conjoined hinds!
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby scottishkennyg » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:49 pm

dogplodder wrote:Those goats made us laugh when we met them up there. Did you smell them? I've heard others say you smell them before you see them but think I must have been so wiffy myself I didn't notice! :lol:

Love your pic of the conjoined hinds!

Thanks dogplodder..
scottishkennyg

Munros:282   

Postby Meatball » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:41 pm

:clap:
Meatball

Munros:63   Corbetts:49
Fionas:7   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:4   

Postby Silverhill » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:15 pm

Awesome! :D
I have very good memories of this area, thanks for bringing them back!
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:7   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland