walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Klibreck (from the Crask Inn)

Ben Klibreck (from the Crask Inn)

Postby foggieclimber » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:56 pm

Route description: Ben Klibreck

Munros included on this walk: Ben Klibreck

Date walked: 23/02/2013

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 20.3 km

Ascent: 1130m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Going to kick-off this report with a wee advert for the Crask Inn. The Crask Inn is a small inn located on the A836, between Lairg and Altnaharra. The inn has four rooms, a bunkhouse and a lawn that can be used for camping. The inn is very dog-friendly. Don’t expect four or five star luxury, don’t be surprised if the electric goes off and don’t expect television or wi-fi.

So what makes the Crask Inn so special? It is a classic walker’s pub offering great hospitality. The owners, Mike and Kai, really go out of their way to make you feel most welcome. The food in the Crask Inn is also fantastic – home cooked, very reasonably priced and really tasty.

If you have hills to do in the area please come and stay here, or at least pop in past for some food and drinks. The Crask Inn doesn’t have a website, only a telephone: 01549 411241.

The Crask Inn:

The Crask Inn Bar (the barmaid’s a dog ;) ):

I last ascended Ben Klibreck in October 2002 via the standard route from Vagastie. My log from 2002, describes the lower section of the Ben Klibreck as “a bogfest”. For my second ascent, I opted to start walking from the Crask Inn.

Click here to see a map of the route undertaken

Walking along the A836:

After walking circa 3km along the A836, I left the road at the start of a vehicle track which takes you to the summit of Cnoc Sgriodain and beyond. The vehicle track starts a short distance before the bridge over the Allt a’Chraisg.

Ben Klibreck:

Mackay country:

Ascending Cnoc Sgriodain:

During the ascent of Cnoc Sgriodain, I got good views across to Ben Loyal, the Queen of Scottish Mountains.

Ben Loyal (zoom):

Looking back towards the Crask Inn:

Just over forty minutes after leaving the road, I reached the first of two large cairns on Cnoc Sgriodain. The summit of Ben Kilbreck still looked a fair distance off.

Ben Klibreck from cairn c.10m below the summit of Cnoc Sgriodain:

View from cairn c.10m below the summit of Cnoc Sgriodain:

At the summit of Cnoc Sgriodain, I took a photo of Ben Hope which I had ascended the day previous. The snow covering Ben Hope had fallen in the past 24 hours.

Ben Hope (zoom):

Ben Hope and Ben Loyal from summit of Cnoc Sgriodain:

The next photo shows the view across to Ben Hee from Cnoc Sgriodain.

A windfarm company intends erecting 38 @ 125m wind turbines right across the area shown in the next photo. The windfarm is known as the “Creag Riabhach windfarm”. Please, please, please object to the vandalism of this scenic land. The locals do not want a windfarm here. Great to see that the MCofS have already responded to a scoping exercise recommending that this windfarm should not go ahead.

Ben Hee:

Loch nan Uan and Ben Klibreck:

From Cnoc Sgriodain, I made my way across to A’Chaoirnichain, which is just marked as 808m on the 1:50000 Landranger map. A’Chaoirnichain is a HuMP – Hundred Metre Prominence hill.

Ascending A'Chaoirnichain:

Looking back towards Cnoc Sgriodain:

I was really impressed with the views during the ascent of A’Chaoirnichain. The air clarity was superb. In the distance I think I could make out An Teallach.

An Teallach (zoom):

I also think I could see Suilven beyond Ben More Assynt.

Suilven (zoom):

By the time I reached the summit of A’Chaoirnichain there was more snow than I had expected. On A’Chaoirnichain I found the remains of broken Yaktrax ice grips which made me think why wear this rubbish up a hill – they are not crampons.

Ben Klibreck from A'Chaoirnichain:

Looking back to A'Chaoirnichain:

As I made my way up the final section of Ben Klibreck, I could see a walker at the summit starting his descent. I followed his tracks during my ascent but didn’t meet him on the way up.

Final ascent to the summit of Ben Klibreck:

View from ascent of Ben Kilbreck:

It was just my luck that circa ten minutes before reaching the summit, low cloud started to cover the summit.

On reaching the summit, we didn’t hang around for long before descending via the same route.

Beinn at the summit of Ben Klibreck:

During the walk back to A'Chaoirnichain, I spotted a couple of ptarmigan.

Ptarmigan:

From A'Chaoirnichain I returned to the summit of Cnoc Sgriodain and then decided to head directly back towards the Crask Inn instead of returning via the A836.

During the descent, I made for a vehicle track at the bottom of the hill. On reaching the vehicle track I followed it until it simply disappeared. Beyond the vehicle track the ground was fairly unpleasant.

Descent towards track leading towards the Crask Inn:

Looking back at descent from Cnoc Sgriodain:

After covering circa 1km of trackless boggy terrain I reached the wide vehicle track leading back towards the Crask Inn.

Beinn on the track leading out towards the Crask Inn:

Looking back towards Cnoc Sgriodain and A'Chaoirnichain:

A short distance before reaching the Crask Inn, I stopped to photograph a Snow Bunting.

Snow Bunting:

Was great to get back to the Crask Inn and head to the bar for a pint and a heat from the wood-burning stove. Beinn was glad to get back to as he was knackered :lol:.

A welcome sight:

A good day out :D.
foggieclimber

Re: Ben Klibreck (from the Crask Inn)

Postby dogplodder » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:37 pm

Agree with everything you say about the Crask Inn. We stopped there several times en route to Tongue and were always given good food and a welcome. Enjoyed your pics of Ben Klibreck too. :D
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby GariochTom » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:07 pm

Love the ptarmigan, snow bunting and An Teallach photographs. :clap:

Love the Crask Inn too! :)
GariochTom
Hill Bagger

Munros:148   Corbetts:34
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:1

Postby Scotjamie » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:31 pm

Great report of the same route we took many years ago. We rarely took cameras with us in those days so its nice to see these photos. Agree about the flow country terrain between the Crask and the hill, as well as the comments about the Crask itself - sounds like the same couple as 10 years ago. So enjoyable we drove back there to stay another night after Conival and Ben More A. Thanks fc
Scotjamie
Wanderer

Munros:148   

Postby SusieThePensioner » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:48 pm

Really enjoyed reading your report :D Some wonderful photos; love the Snow Bunting, An Teallach and the one of Beinn at the summit :thumbup:
We visited the Crask Inn three years ago when staying at Lochinver. We're back in that area, at Clashnessie, in October :D
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby rohan » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:05 pm

Totally agree about the Crask Inn, have stayed with friends at the bunkhouse there, stopped for tea and scones on other occasions. As for views from the summit, I have climbed this hill twice and no views. Maybe I need a trip to the Crask and 3rd time lucky.
rohan

Postby BlackPanther » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:17 am

Fantastic, I love this mountain - and the whole area. Just hope this crazy idea with windfarms never comes true.

We were out and about as well on Sat & Sun, saw plenty of ptarmigan :D They are definitely starting to change plumage to summer one. Spring is in the air!
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby gammy leg walker » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:18 pm

Thanks for posting foggie,looks a great route with the added bonus of food & beer at the end,never a bad result.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby Graeme D » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:45 pm

Ahhhhhh, the Crask Inn! What a place! It should have World Heritage Site status if it doesn't already have it! :lol: Nice report too foggie! I would love to pitch my tent on that lawn for a few days and explore the area further. 8)
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby Tomsie » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:14 pm

They let me pitch tent in their garden, food was great, they were getting a guy called rocket ron to fix the beer taps next day, not same ron as on here
Tomsie
Walker

Munros:166   Corbetts:71
Fionas:38   Donalds:36
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:8

Postby quoman » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:44 pm

Nice one foggie ave still that one to do ran out of time lastyear, when i was up there doing the four.. good to see the landlord will let you camp in the garden i hope to be going up in may so i will give them a call.
quoman
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   

Postby Meatball » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:04 am

A hill for the snow!
Meatball

Munros:63   Corbetts:49
Fionas:7   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:4   

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland