walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

First hill of the year – Cairnsmore of Fleet

First hill of the year – Cairnsmore of Fleet

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:06 pm

Route description: Cairnsmore of Fleet, near Newton Stewart

Fionas included on this walk: Cairnsmore of Fleet

Donalds included on this walk: Cairnsmore of Fleet

Date walked: 18/02/2013

Distance: 12.25 km

Ascent: 691m

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

It’s been a frustrating start to the year in hill walking terms with the weather or other commitments getting in the way. A week in a cottage on the edge of the Galloway forest would hopefully provide us with an opportunity to kick start our efforts.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Safe to say, we had very little in the way of expectation weather wise from our week in South West Scotland. As it turned out however the weather was great, far better than many a summer week spent north of the border. Following a walk around the Galloway forest on the Sunday we headed off up Cairnsmore of Fleet on the Monday.

Snowdrops by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Finally out of the forestry plantation by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

View back down to the forestry by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

The morning was a bit grey and misty but a chat with a friendly local boosted out confidence of summit views. It was quite soggy lower down but as we increased in height the ground started to get increasingly frozen and by the time we emerged from the forest the going was good and hard.

I've found Snow! by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Inversion by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

As hoped the sun started to break through revealing a walk that was really quite Pennine in character. In spite of the sunshine and the inversion that was coming into view to the south it looked as if we would be deprived of summit views. Right on cue however as we made our way towards the memorial the cloud started to lift and we were rewarded with spectacular views to the south that were more like what you would see out of an aeroplane window.

Out of the mist by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Summit View by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Frozen Cairn by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Cairnsmore of Fleet by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

We spent a while taking in the sights from CoF’s extensive summit plateau before heading down through the melting ice back to the car.

View to the North by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Summit adornments by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

The Walk up Cairnsmore of Fleet may not be a particularly exciting but with the extra magic that winter walking tends to provide it was a more than worthy outing.

Floating River by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Rising mist by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr
Last edited by johnkaysleftleg on Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Re: First hill of the year – Cairnsmore of Fleet

Postby Silverhill » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:56 pm

Congratulations on getting your first hill in! I will spend a few more months in frustration before I will get to the first hill of 2013 :lol:
Your pictures are first class! 8)
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:8   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Postby SusieThePensioner » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:55 pm

Glad you were able to get that first one done :D Some beautiful photos and particularly like the last one :thumbup:
I was over at Ullswater for a few days at the start of the week; fabulous weather with sun every day :lol:
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:49 pm

Silverhill wrote:Congratulations on getting your first hill in! I will spend a few more months in frustration before I will get to the first hill of 2013 :lol:
Your pictures are first class! 8)

Thank you very much. Any time I can't get out to the hills is torture, been desperate for a fix :lol:

SusieThePensioner wrote:Glad you were able to get that first one done :D Some beautiful photos and particularly like the last one :thumbup:
I was over at Ullswater for a few days at the start of the week; fabulous weather with sun every day :lol:

Thanks Susie, looks like you had the same weather, the start of the week was superb but Tuesday was on another level. We could clearly see the Lake District around 70 miles away from the top of Merrick. Report hopefully later today. :D
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Postby Johnny Corbett » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:57 pm

I like this hill, sadly it has history due to the aircraft crashes on it, but all the same nice with the big sheltered cairns. :)
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:06 pm

Johnny Corbett wrote:I like this hill, sadly it has history due to the aircraft crashes on it, but all the same nice with the big sheltered cairns. :)

It is indeed a fine summit. We spent quite a while exploring.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Postby DaveB1 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:11 pm

Great report JK, very Pennine-like, but more expansive views I think. Glad you got the fix. Photos superb as usual :D
DaveB1
Munro compleatist

Munros:17   Corbetts:9
Fionas:4   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   

Postby Tinto63 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:41 pm

Great photos as always. Another of the hills I like a lot, I finished my main Donalds on this hill last year and then went on to complete the New Donalds on Meikle Mullltaggart. Looks like you had great weather for the half term holiday.
Tinto63
Wanderer

Munros:129   Corbetts:46
Fionas:38   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:30   

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:51 pm

DaveB1 wrote:Great report JK, very Pennine-like, but more expansive views I think. Glad you got the fix. Photos superb as usual :D

Cheers Dave, I'd agree with the more expansive views, even when they were largely under cloud.

Tinto63 wrote:Great photos as always. Another of the hills I like a lot, I finished my main Donalds on this hill last year and then went on to complete the New Donalds on Meikle Mullltaggart. Looks like you had great weather for the half term holiday.

Cheers Tinto. The weather was as good as you could possibly hope for in Feb, Tuesday when we climbed Merrick was sensational.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Postby rockhopper » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:12 pm

very nice, JK, and some great atmospheric photos - esp "Rising mist" - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:55 pm

rockhopper wrote:very nice, JK, and some great atmospheric photos - esp "Rising mist" - cheers :)

Thanks Rockhopper :thumbup:
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Postby soulminer » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:19 pm

A nice hill to start the year with :) Combine that with the eye for a good photo,and you have certainly won the proverbial watch :lol: Magic.
soulminer

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:56 pm

soulminer wrote:A nice hill to start the year with :) Combine that with the eye for a good photo,and you have certainly won the proverbial watch :lol: Magic.

Cheers :thumbup:
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland