walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Stuc up The Stuc !

Stuc up The Stuc !

Postby gymman47 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:33 pm

Route description: Ben Vorlich and Stùc a' Chròin

Munros included on this walk: Ben Vorlich (Loch Earn)

Date walked: 02/02/2013

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 13.5 km

Ascent: 1145m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I arrived beside Ardvorlich House around 8am and there were already a couple of cars there. You could see lots of snow on Ben Vorlich so knew it was going to ba a tricky climb near the summit. I made my way through the grounds of Ardvorlich House and onto the footpath. I walked with a young chap for a bit but felt I was maybe holding him back so suggested he could go ahead as I didnt want to hold him back. Before long he was well ahead of me and when we were chatting he told me he had done 80 Munros so was quite experienced compared to me. As i got further up the path the snow was more evident and I decided at halway to put crampons on to make it safer and quicker. I set a fairly brisk pace when on the snowy slope heading up the mountain and could see 2 climbers a good bit in the distance and it was really windy now and I could see the summit. It was completely covered in deep snow. Great weather for crampons ! I caught up with the 2 guys ahead of me and we reached the summit together and took some photos. The wind was really strong now and it would have been so easy to be blown over the side and down the mountain without crampons as it was really icy on top !

I got my first glimpse of Stuc A Chroin and it looked awesome. Last time up here a few weeks earlier you could see nothing for the thick fog so it was great to see where the next challenge was. I said goodbye to the 2 guys as they were going no further and made my way down towards The Stuc. It was quite tricky in parts due to deep snow and I caught a glimpse of the young guy who I met earlier and he was making his way towards the steepest section of Stuc. That was the sighting of him but I later saw him on my photos when I zoomed in and saw him reach the top. Eventually I reached the steepest section and followed the footprints heading up towards the top. It was quite steep and not too bad to begin with until the snow started turning to thick ice. I must have climbed a 100 feet up from the boulders and I slipped but managed to hold onto my ice axe which was stuck into deep snow and it saved me falling. I got a quite a fright but continued another 30 feet up and froze where I was! I seemed to all of a sudden lose all confidence and felt way out of my depth and knew I could go no further. I was Stuck up the Stuc !!! I done the worst thing in this situation and turned around so I was facing the bottom and then dug my heels in and managed to get my rucksack off my back and had to let it slide down 130 feet to the bottom where the boulders are.I knew that if I slipped in this position I was going down like a bobsleigh. I held onto ice axe for dear life and one heel at a time slowly inch by inch started to go down but not sure if at any moment I would just slip to the bottom and onto the boulders. It took me a painstaking 90 minutes to lower myself down to the safety of the boulders and I have never been so scared in all my life. If I hadnt panicked I could have come down properly but when you panick you just don't always react in a rational way. I was just so happy to be down safely and my left shoulder was in agony as I had been using right hand to stabilise myself for the whoule descent. I rewarded my efforts with a mars bar and plenty of water when reunited with my rucksack. I started to head back the 4 miles to the car and came accross another chap on his own and asked if he had an ice axe and he only had poles. I suggested he went up a slightly easier route and I watched him as we went in opposite directions and he made it to the top. I knew I should have gone the same way but never realised this til it was too late. It took around 2 hours to get back as the snow was deep in parts. I was so happy to get back safely and will wait til the spring before reattempting Stuc A Chroin.
Attachments
sTUC a cHROIN 2ND ATTEMPT 2013 032.jpg
Ben Vorlich in the distance.
sTUC a cHROIN 2ND ATTEMPT 2013 038.jpg
Amazing views !
sTUC a cHROIN 2ND ATTEMPT 2013 036.jpg
The Summit in sight and 2 walkers ahead.
sTUC a cHROIN 2ND ATTEMPT 2013 043.jpg
Top of Ben Vorlich with Stuc A Chroin behind me.
sTUC a cHROIN 2ND ATTEMPT 2013 062.jpg
Approaching The Stuc.
sTUC a cHROIN 2ND ATTEMPT 2013 068.jpg
Looking accross to Ben Vorlich.
sTUC a cHROIN 2ND ATTEMPT 2013 070.jpg
You can see how far I got ..prints in the snow !
sTUC a cHROIN 2ND ATTEMPT 2013 073.jpg
Looking back at the steep section of Stuc.
sTUC a cHROIN 2ND ATTEMPT 2013 077.jpg
Ardvorlich House on way back down !
gymman47
Munro compleatist

Munros:17   Corbetts:2
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:4   

Re: Stuc up The Stuc !

Postby lomondwalkers » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:18 pm

Sounds like you had a bit of an adventure there Gymman :shock: Glad you made it safely down in the end :thumbup: You'll enjoy it when you go back in Spring 8)
lomondwalkers
Mountain Walker

Munros:143   Corbetts:57
Fionas:57   Donalds:73
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Postby gymman47 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:35 pm

Yes me too and hope to make it around April time and will keep you posted. Thanks :)
gymman47
Munro compleatist

Postby NickScots » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:38 pm

April may be just as Icy !

So why not head up the Coire, to the RHS as you look across from Vorlich. Or head up via Glen Ample instead.
NickScots

Munros:123   Corbetts:5

Postby gmr82 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:43 pm

Jeepers that sounded very scary! These two are pretty much the closest Munros to me, but the steep scramble has me nervous sweating already :lol: . Likely I'll take the easier ascent route. Good on you for wanting to get back soon
gmr82
Mountain Walker

Munros:27   Corbetts:7
Fionas:21   Donalds:51
Sub 2000:39   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:3   

Postby gymman47 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:49 am

NickScots wrote:April may be just as Icy !

So why not head up the Coire, to the RHS as you look across from Vorlich. Or head up via Glen Ample instead.

Yes that's probably a better idea, thanks for that , I'll let you know how I get on when I do it :)
gymman47
Munro compleatist

Postby gymman47 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:50 am

gmr82 wrote:Jeepers that sounded very scary! These two are pretty much the closest Munros to me, but the steep scramble has me nervous sweating already :lol: . Likely I'll take the easier ascent route. Good on you for wanting to get back soon

I think I'm just a bit scared of heights ! :crazy:
gymman47
Munro compleatist

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland