walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Meall a' Bhuachaille with low clag and snow storm

Meall a' Bhuachaille with low clag and snow storm

Postby The Rodmiester » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:11 pm

Route description: Meall a' Bhuachaille circuit, Glenmore

Corbetts included on this walk: Meall a'Bhuachaille

Date walked: 24/02/2013

Time taken: 2.25 hours

Distance: 8.6 km

Ascent: 513m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This was the hill I was hoping to do on the previous day, better clearer sky and the route was to have included the whole ridge to appreciate the views over the frozen Loch Morlich and the Rothiemurchus woods, never mind I guess I will cut short and drop down at the col after the large summit cairn.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

20.JPG
Park just beyond the Glenmore Lodge centre and head off along the good track through the Scots pine woods
21.JPG
The track you take when it comes to a Y junction is the left fork towards the Ryvoan Bothy a MBA maintained bothy
22.JPG
Ryvoan Bothy at the foot of the track climbing up the East shoulder of Meall a Bhuachaille
23.JPG
The start of the track, and the first sign of snow has arrived
24.JPG
Well constructed paths all the way up to the summit, and even with the dusting of snow not that slippy
25.JPG
The summit cairn in sight and this is when I meet the first person of the day a runner who has come from the Glenmore lodge training centre appears out of the gloom and clag, we have a wee natter and not wanting to keep him, as it's pretty cold up there. (So if you were the runner, Hi again!)
26.JPG
Seeing there is no chance of any views I decide just to cut it short and take the shortcut back down towards the Glenmore Centre.
27.JPG
The paths make for fast walking and here again I meet another couple of walkers this time.
28.JPG
Getting near the end of the trail now and approaching the access road, I can hear the traffic on the main road to the Ski Centre
29.JPG
Loch Morlich, frozen over
Attachments
30.JPG
And again
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Grahams:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:16

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland