walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

One Man; Five Fannies; It Snow Your Business...

One Man; Five Fannies; It Snow Your Business...

Postby andrewdoggett » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:27 pm

Munros included on this walk: A' Chailleach (Fannichs), Meall a' Chrasgaidh, Sgùrr Breac, Sgùrr nan Clach Geala, Sgùrr nan Each

Date walked: 26/02/2013

Time taken: 7.4 hours

Distance: 24.2 km

Ascent: 2022m

9 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Several false starts at the Fannaichs for me... But not to worry; I had a feeling I was going to like these hills; the wilderness appealed; and so I didn't mind waiting for some good weather... Was it special; was it ever...

A shout out to Willie Duncan (Gamy Leg Walker) for this first shot; but it sums up perfectly how I feel this week...

Fannaichs 001.jpg
The Mountains are Calling...

The alarm blasts my ears at 04:00 and I'm off by 04:15 having packed the night before... Just time to make a quick coffee to aid the long 200 mile drive to the off... I arrive just as pink hues start to fill the sky with the impending sunrise... The weather is perfect; and somehow I just know this is going to be a belter...

Fannaichs 002.jpg
A 200 mile drive; and I'm ready; An Teallach the backdrop...

The start is easy enough; a downhill stroll to Loch a'Bhraoin along a good track... It's cold so the gloves and hat are on... As the sun rises the mountains in the distance turn pink... Fair to say I'm excited...

Fannaichs 003.jpg
Pink Hues as the Sun Rises...

I make fairly short work of the initial ascent to the Druim Reidh Ridge... It's steep but there's nothing uncomfortable and it's below the snow line; though there's ice about so I take care... At the top I stop to take a photo looking toward An Teallach... It's an iconic mountain and the skies are crystal clear with perfect visibility...

Fannaichs 004.jpg
Looking toward An Teallach from Druim Reidh...

Behind me; and the sun creeps over the mountain ridges to come later in the day...

Fannaichs 005.jpg
Sun Up...

I choose to stay on the main ridge and ascend Toman Coinich; it involves an extra 100 metres of ascent or so as there is a path to west side of the ridge that goes directly to the beallach between Toman Coinich and A'Chailleach but I'm above the snow line and don't fancy a long side traverse... The gradient is gentle enough and I'm soon at the summit...

Fannaichs 006.jpg
Looking across to A'Chailleach from Druim Reidh

At the summit of Toman Coinich and it's just getting better and better...

Fannaichs 007.jpg
View from Toman Coinich

I ditch the pack as I'll have to return this way but take my crampons as I'm not sure whether I'll need them... As it turns out the ascent is not too steep and the snow not too firm that I can't get grip so I'm fine...

Fannaichs 008.jpg
The Ascent of A'Chailleach...

I'm at the summit of A'Chailleach in no time and the views are to die for... Open expanse of wilderness with views to Torridon; The Fisherfield Forest; and of course An Teallach... I can make out all of the mountains individually; the air is crisp and there's not a breath of wind...

Fannaichs 009.jpg
View toward the Fisherfield Forest from the Summit of A'Chailleach

Fannaichs 010.jpg
Me on the Summit of A'Chailleach

Fannaichs 011.jpg
Gorgeous Views...

I retrace my steps; grab some breakfast; and take on some fluids... I'm sweating and it's not cold... The ascent of Sgurr Breac is straightforward and I'm there in no time... The summit flattens into a mini plateau; and just before the summit there are cornices off to the North. I stay well clear of them...

Fannaichs 012.jpg
Nearing the Summit of Sgurr Breac

Fannaichs 013.jpg
Looking Back...

Fannaichs 014.jpg
Snow..

The ridge descends at a fairly gentle gradient to the east of Sgur Breac though the snow is a little firmer; but still no need for crampons... At the beallach I disturb a herd of about 7 deer and they scramble off to the south... The ascent to the beallach between Sgurr nan Clach Geala and Sgurr nan Each is pathless but it's only 250 metres or so and I make short work of it...

Fannaichs 015.jpg
The Summit Ridge of Sgurr nan Each...

Fannaichs 016.jpg
Looking Toward Sgurr nan Clach Geala and Sgurr Mor...

I ditch the pack in the beallach and head up Sgurr nan Each which doesn't take long... Again there are cornices; this time to the East so I give them a wide berth; don't need to be falling off the edge!!

Fannaichs 017.jpg
The Summit of Sgurr nan Each...

Fannaichs 018.jpg
Looking Back at Sgurr nan Each on the Ascent of Sgurr nan Clach Geala...

I start the ascent of Sgurr nan Clach Gealaand I'm soon donning crampons for this ascent... The snow is firm; it's not too steep but better safe than sorry I'm thinking as I zig zag my way up to the summit ridge... It's hot work; still not a breath of wind and I'm in just a T-Shirt now - in February - at 1000 metres up!!

Fannaichs 019.jpg
Views on the Ascent of Sgurr nan Clach Geala...

There are massive cornices on the short westerly traverse along the ridge to the summit and again I give them a respectful berth...

Fannaichs 020.jpg
Cornices on the Summit Ridge of Sgurr nan Clach Geala...

The descent to the north of Sgurr nan Clach Geala is horrible; there are cornices off to the east; it's steep to the west and the snow in the shade... Each step knock ice and snow down the western slopes and there are some hollow crunching sounds in places that are making me more than a little nervous... I'm more than a little thankful to reach the beallach that separates Sgurr nan Clach Geala; Meall a'Chrasgaidh; and the ascent toward Sgurr Mor...

It's 13:00... I've made good time and I ponder here for a long time... Do I do the 9? Or 7? My mind keeps changing it's mind and my tracks reflect this... In the end I decide I don't want to be knackard at the end of the day; it's a long hoof back along the road and I want to remember today as something special; which it has been...

Fannaichs 021.jpg
Looking back at Sgurr Breach and A'Chailleach from the Ice Field...

It's a short pull up to the summit of Meall a'Chrasgaidh and I spend a fair amount of time at the top just taking in the views which are breath taking in all directions...

Fannaichs 022.jpg
View from the Summit of Meall a'Chrasgaidh...

I then descend WNW gently at first but steeping after a kilometre or so; cross the river; and after one last wristful look back; head on back to the car... It's been a sensational day in the hills; I've not seen a soul all day; and I've answered... The call of the Mountains...

Fannaichs 023.jpg
Looking Back at Meall a'Chrasgaidh and Sgurr nan Clach Geala from the River Crossing...

2013 - 02 - 26 - Fannaichs.jpg
The Stats...

2013 - 02 - 26 - Fannaichs.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

andrewdoggett
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:2   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:6   

Re: One Man; Five Fannies; It Snow Your Business...

Postby monty » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:45 pm

An excellent read Andrew with some lovely photos. Not long to go now :D
monty

Postby dooterbang » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:37 pm

Well done Andrew.

Hope your leaving a nice easy walk to finish on :wink:
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby SAVAGEALICE » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:18 pm

i reet enjoyed that ..good work :clap: :D
SAVAGEALICE

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:79   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:46   Hewitts:22
Wainwrights:33   Islands:21

Postby Lenore » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:01 pm

Not often 5 fannies are so willing to be taken by one guy all in one day ;-) Excellent report and great photos!
Lenore
Mountaineer

Munros:13   Corbetts:4
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:1   

Postby SusieThePensioner » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:55 pm

Wow, what a day!! Loved the report and those fantastic, stunning photos :thumbup:

You'll soon have them all finished :D
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby gmr82 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:50 pm

Lenore wrote:Not often 5 fannies are so willing to be taken by one guy all in one day ;-)

Not so if go 'doon e docks' in Aiiiberdeen :lol: at least thats what I've been told :shh:

On a serious note, what a great walk that looked, not sure if you're in a Mercedes Car Club or anything but you should submit that photo if they have a monthly competition- stunning
gmr82
Mountain Walker

Munros:27   Corbetts:7
Fionas:21   Donalds:51
Sub 2000:39   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:3   

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:03 pm

Wow! That looks like a perfect day.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby Scotjamie » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:25 pm

Seriously uplifting Andrew - great stuff :clap:
Scotjamie
Wanderer

Munros:148   

Postby Johnny Corbett » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:13 pm

All those Fannies and not a single can of Irn Bru in any of the photos. :crazy:
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby davedanson28 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:22 pm

Excellent, well done Andrew. :clap: You saved it for the right time and the weather was.....well, just perfect! :D
davedanson28
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:5
Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:4   

Postby quoman » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:31 pm

Another magic report and pic's...
quoman
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   

Postby PeteR » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:44 pm

Stunning :clap:
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:121   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby old danensian » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:44 pm

Good to see you getting ever closer - and still putting out great reports.

OD
old danensian

Munros:282   Corbetts:101
Donalds:9
Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:151   

Postby gammy leg walker » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:30 pm

The end is near now Andrew,looking forward to reading your TRs as you near the end.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

9 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland