walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

3 Sub 2k's from Broughton

3 Sub 2k's from Broughton

Postby Johnny Corbett » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:03 pm

Route description: Broughton Heights and Trahenna Hill circuit

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Broughton Heights, Penvalla, Trahenna Hill

Date walked: 27/02/2013

Time taken: 4.1 hours

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Started the walk from the parking area at Broughton Place which is part of The John Buchan Way. I left the John Buchan Way once through the gate and headed up to the ridge that curves round to Trahenna Hill. From the summit i retraced my steps for a bit then went over 537 top and headed for Hog Knowe before heading down to cross the track at the foot of Penvalla. Here it was a steep climb up to Penvalla. Penvalla has no summit cairn, only a couple or rocks to mark the summit. From its summit i made my way towards Ladyurd Hill, leaving it just before the climb to head for the tree line to Flint Hill. I then followed the fence and tree line over Brown Dod and upto the ridge just short of Wetherv Law and onto the summit of Broughton Heights. I had lunch at the trig point before following the track over Green Law and back down to the John Buchan Way back to the start. The walk had paths and Quad tracks for most of the way round making for good walking round a nice wee circuit. I returned to the car 4hrs 15mins after setting off.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Borders 004.JPG
The start

Borders 005.JPG
A look back to the start

Borders 006.JPG
Broughton Heights

Borders 007.JPG
Trahenna summit, Broad Law in the distance

Borders 008.JPG
Penvalla

Borders 009.JPG
Broughton Heights

Borders 010.JPG
Penvalla

Borders 011.JPG
On the Quad track heading for Hog Knowe

Borders 012.JPG
Trahenna Hill

Borders 013.JPG
Ladyurd Hill from Penvalla, Pentlands in distance

Borders 014.JPG
Broughton Heights

Borders 015.JPG
Goseland Hill in distance

Borders 016.JPG
Trahenna

Borders 017.JPG
Heading for the tree line

Borders 018.JPG
The valley

Borders 020.JPG
Culter Fell i think

Borders 023.JPG
Myself at summit

Borders 026.JPG
Goseland Hill

Borders 027.JPG
Towards Broad Law

Borders 029.JPG
The route down

Borders 030.JPG
Broughton Heights

Borders 031.JPG
Back at the start
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Re: 3 Sub 2k's from Broughton

Postby hills » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:29 pm

Nice walk on a fine day, been rotten weather when I have been on these hills, nice to see what I missed, neat...
hills
Hill Bagger

Munros:255   Corbetts:170
Fionas:172   Donalds:88
Sub 2000:191   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:32   Islands:34

Postby gmr82 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:34 pm

Great to see this report JC! So the snow cleared enough for you to climb it :wink: Its actually really nice to see these hills without snow as my two previous trips were clad in white. I wonder if there is ever anything but blue skies over Broughton as you've had cracking weather like I did both times.

Interestingly, the photo you marked as Goseland Hill - after climbing Dollar Law a couple of weeks back it suddenly dawned on me that it must be Tinto as it stood tall with the nearby Culter Fell? It always bugged me as I incorrectly marked it as Black Mount on my first Broughton report. Although with my previous form of identifying hills just mentioned, I'm prepared to be corrected :lol:
gmr82
Mountain Walker

Munros:27   Corbetts:7
Fionas:21   Donalds:51
Sub 2000:39   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:3   

Postby rockhopper » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:38 am

There's just no stopping you, huh ! I see you've already completed nearly as many trips this year as I manage in a whole year......not that I'm jealous :wink: :mrgreen: :sick: Another good trip JC and once again I'm learning about more hills of which I didn't previously know anything - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby dooterbang » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:32 pm

Relentless JC, brilliant stuff...lovely blue skies.

You really should try to work it out to finish the munros, corbetts and grahams on the one day 8)
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland