walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Ledi

Ben Ledi

Postby David Lyall » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:21 pm

Route description: Ben Ledi

Corbetts included on this walk: Ben Ledi

Date walked: 01/01/2010

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 9 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

First walk up Ben Ledi, I wanted to do some walking in the snow with the crampons I had borrowed from Jake. Started at the car park just across the bridge at the south of loch Lubnaig. Thin covering of well trampled snow made it slippy from the start. Climbed up the south side found it very windy near the top with the dry powdery snow swirling around in the wind. After reaching the top I carried on along the ridge towards the Stank Glen, I came of the ridge to soon which made for a steep decent. Good day all round although I may need to think about heavier boots for the winter time as my feet were a bit tired I think due to the crampons.
Attachments
Ben Ledi New Years day 2010 019.jpg
Ben Ledi New Years day 2010 017.jpg
David Lyall
Munro compleatist

Munros:200   Corbetts:28
Fionas:6   

Re: Ben Ledi

Postby allansmitchell » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:13 am

Was our first time up Ben Ledi and with crampons as well, ball of feet was a bit sire as if we had cramp. presume it was because of the crampons, didnt have that problem with the boots before, maybe put them on too tight, trial and error over next few weeks I suppose.
allansmitchell
Mountaineer

Munros:4   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:7   

Re: Ben Ledi

Postby David Lyall » Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:31 pm

My brother does a lot of walking and climbing in the winter you really need a heavey pair of winter boots to wear with the crampons
David Lyall
Munro compleatist

Munros:200   Corbetts:28
Fionas:6   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland