walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Grey Corries

The Grey Corries

Postby johnrich » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:47 am

Munros included on this walk: Sgùrr Chòinnich Mòr, Stob Bàn (Grey Corries), Stob Choire Claurigh, Stob Coire an Laoigh

Date walked: 25/02/2013

Time taken: 10 hours

Distance: 26 km

Ascent: 1800m

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Grey Corries.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

elevation profile.jpg

The weather report looked perfect, I was expecting cracking views so I brought out the "big" camera and tripod. From the carpark at the end of the track I set off for Stob Ban but not long into the walk I nearly had heart failure as I came across a frozen figure stood by the path :shock:
_C6C5660.jpg

Getting closer I realised it was a carved figure called "The Wee Minister".
I carried on along a very good track to reach the bothy at Lairig with Stob Ban in the distance.
_C6C5681.jpg

The snow was perfect so I donned crampons and headed up Coire Claurigh towards the frozen tarn then south to Stob Ban
_C6C5689.jpg

Views were stunning from the summit of Stob Ban
_C6C5707.jpg

And not so shabby from the summit of Stob Choire Claurigh
_C6C5725.jpg

The wind picked up and gave a significant wind chill so it was time to wrap up.
The ridge route lay ahead and looked perfect with the Ben visible in the centre distance
_C6C5749.jpg
_C6C5762.jpg
_C6C5767.jpg
_C6C5771.jpg
_C6C5782.jpg
_C6C5787.jpg
_C6C5796.jpg

I reached Stob Coire an Laoigh at about 3pm and still felt I had enough in me to tackle Sgurr Choinnich Mor. I realised that I would end up walking back in the dark but the route seemed straight forward enough once I was back at Stob Coire Easain so I decided to go for it :D
_C6C5808.jpg

I got back to Stob Coire Easain and set off down Beinn na Socaich just as dusk started to settle in, I looked back and could see the only person I'd seen all day just reaching Stob Coire Easain
_C6C5844.jpg

At 5:30 the sun was setting but the route back through the trees following the disused tram lines could be seen, little did I know what lay ahead :roll:
_C6C5851.jpg

I eventually reached the dam after spending a considerable number of times falling on my backside because I'd taken my crampons off once I reach turf but it was still frozen and very slippy. Initially panic set in at the dam because it was getting quite dark and I was trying to find a way to cross at the dam then I remembered the guide book mentioning about crossing before the dam. After another few falls on the ice I got across and spotted the style thinking thank god for that it was now just a simple walk back along the tram line :lol:
I had the head torch on but the route was anything but pleasant, it was very boggy and frozen so I was either slipping around on ice or falling through into knee deep bog!! It was only 2.5km back to the van but that was the longest and most draining 2.5km I think I've ever walked, it just seemed to go on forever. Eventually I reach the campervan and put the kettle on for a well earned brew and phoned in to say I was Ok at 7pm. I hadn't seen anything of the person I saw earlier but there was another car parked next to mine so I took it to belong to whoever was behind me, but after getting brewed up and changed there was still no sign of the other person and I started worrying that he was ok as it was now 7:45pm and I reckoned he was only about 15 minutes behind me from Stob Coire an Laoigh so I sat in the van with the lights on thinking if he didn't have a head torch he would have something to head for but eventually at 8:25pm I spotted a head torch coming along the track :clap: :D So a cracking long day it was.
johnrich
Walker

Munros:9   Corbetts:29
Fionas:5   Donalds:9
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:85
Wainwrights:69   

Re: The Grey Corries

Postby Meatball » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:49 pm

The path parallel to the railway line is far more civilised!
Nice report!
Meatball

Munros:63   Corbetts:49
Fionas:7   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:4   

Postby Alan S » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:07 pm

Lucky man, what perfect conditions for doing this 8) 8) really stunning pics :D
Alan S
Mountain Walker

Munros:216   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:13
Walk wish-list

Postby SAVAGEALICE » Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:38 pm

wowsers ..lovely photies :clap: :D looks a great day
SAVAGEALICE

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:79   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:46   Hewitts:22
Wainwrights:33   Islands:21

Postby gman » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:06 pm

Geat stuff, hoping to do these soon - might bike up to the bothy though.
gman

Munros:250   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Lenore » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:58 pm

What an ace report! :clap: How unlucky to get both ice AND bog; how is that even possible?! I guess there's no limit to Scotland's bogginess :shock:
Lenore
Mountaineer

Munros:13   Corbetts:4
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:1   

Postby PeteR » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:59 pm

Those views are out of this world. I'm not jealous........much :lol:
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:121   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland