walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Arrochin' around the alps.

Arrochin' around the alps.

Postby meangarry » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:10 am

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Ìme, Beinn Narnain

Corbetts included on this walk: The Cobbler

Date walked: 05/03/2013

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 16 km

Ascent: 1760m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Tuesday morning was an early start. I don't normally do early mornings but today it was worthwhile. Myself and Callum were heading north, north to the Arrochar Alps. :D The weather was to be decent and we were excited at the prospect of getting into some rugged mountains for a bit of scrambling fun. Arriving at the car park at Succoth there was only one other chap booting up, maybe people had been out a few times in the recent good weather, it was quiet but I like that. We set off up through the forest and soon found our stride. Jackets were put in rucksacks and we bombed on to our first target, a geocache near the dam. :) We returned to the path to find we were being watched by a posh looking young couple. The lad was wearing a wax jacket. :shock: He must have been sweating buckets. Further up the path we stopped for another cache and the couple caught us again. They must have thought we were a couple of tin roofs footering about in the heather. :lol: Caching out of the way we set our eyes on the magnificent ben arthur. Image
DSC_0678 by meangarry, on Flickr
Believe me after spending so much time in the rolling hills of the southern uplands it is an amazing sight! We passed an older couple on the path who looked to follow us up towards the belach below the north peak but we didn't see them for the rest of the day. I hope they thought better of it and turned around. Another chap wearing jeans was also passed. For a time we humoured him and chatted as we followed his route but he was too slow for our likings. :wink: We picked our own route and found ourselves on the north peak first. A fine summit it is too. Crisps were munched and a few daring photos taken.Image
DSC_0682 by meangarry, on Flickr
DSC_0696 by meangarry, on Flickr
After sitting with my feet dangling over the cliff and remembering the reports I've read on here I was now beginning to **** myself about threading the needle. :shock: We set off back to the pass and then up to the central peak. Reaching the pinnacle we were pleasantly surprised. It didn't look too scary so we set about it! Me first then Callum. :D It was a brilliant feeling to stand on the top. Two true summiteers as a passing walker commented. :)
DSC_0725 by meangarry, on Flickr
DSC_0740 by meangarry, on Flickr
He was even kind enough to take our photo. Image
DSC_0737 by meangarry, on Flickr
He mentioned that we should get to ben lui for our next trip as it was his favourite. Scotlands abalababanala or something. I really didn't catch what he said but we smiled and he walked off. I shot out my hand to thank him for taking the photo but he must have already turned his head as he walked off. Me standing like a fool hand out stretched. :lol: This became a laughing point for the rest of the day. Aflababla or whatever he said. :lol: :lol: :lol: Laughing our way down the back of the cobbler we decided to stick Beinn Ime onto our route. I have been up it before but since we were a long way from home we thought why not get up it. On the way we found a red sledge and couldnt resist a slide about. :) Callum stabbed it into the snow intending to get it on our return from beinn ime but we missed it on our way back. :( On the summit we were fortunate again and two fellows who had came up the beinn luibhean route took our photo. Image
DSC_0748 by meangarry, on Flickr
On the way down we spotted a really weird bit of snow. Maybe someone had built a snowman and it was all that remained, maybe it was something far more sinister. Whatever it was it really freaked me out. Some kind of snow man demon I tell ye! Have a look and tell me what you think. I'm just glad I wasn't alone!!! :shock: Image
DSC_0750 by meangarry, on Flickr
Abafalaba indeed! :? We soon shot up Beinn Narnain which would be Callum's second Munro and my sixth. A nice interesting summit with plenty features. The descent by the spearhead was particularly interesting. :) You'll notice that Callum loves to blink in photos. He does it all the time. :lol: Image
DSC_0752 by meangarry, on Flickr
I don't blink. 8) Image
DSC_0753 by meangarry, on Flickr
On the way back I managed one pic where I didn't care if Callum blinked. The back of his heed. :lol: Still it made for a good thoughtful veiw kind of photo. The wee speck near his head is a yellow seaplane heading for loch lomond.Image
DSC_0755 by meangarry, on Flickr
After getting back to the car we had lovely a pint in the villiage inn, Arrochar and then stopped again for food at dumbarton before getting down the road to watch the man united vs real madrid game get ruined by the ref. :crazy: Ach well we couldn't have hoped for a better day really. Well Callum could, he's a united fan. :lol: :lol: :lol:

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

meangarry

Munros:29   Corbetts:19
Fionas:15   Donalds:60
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:16
Wainwrights:23   

Re: Arrochin' around the alps.

Postby gmr82 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:02 pm

Nice report meangarry, well done on the cobbler. Not sure my (poor) head for heights is up to that :crazy: is this the start of a munro bagging year?
gmr82
Mountain Walker

Munros:27   Corbetts:7
Fionas:21   Donalds:51
Sub 2000:39   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:3   

Postby tomyboy73 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:36 pm

well done, have yet to thread the needle, but your picture of it makes it look quite doable :roll:
tomyboy73
Mountain Walker

Munros:186   Corbetts:40
Fionas:9   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:3   Islands:5
Walk wish-list

Postby budvarone » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:46 am

Well done on managing all three, we were up here on Sunday, intending to do Ime and Narnain, we set off quite late and took our time so only managed Beinn Ime, we'll go back another time and go for Beinn Narnain. We came across the red sledge as well, but it was stuck in ice/snow so we just left it, might use it next time!
budvarone
Bird-watcher

Munros:12   Corbetts:3
Fionas:3   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:31
Wainwrights:57   

Postby meangarry » Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:02 pm

gmr82 wrote:Nice report meangarry, well done on the cobbler. Not sure my (poor) head for heights is up to that :crazy: is this the start of a munro bagging year?

It's not too scary pal, a good day and light wind and you'd do it. I'll try and get up north a few times this year but I'm reliant on other folk as I don't drive. I really want to get the Donalds completed before I make a proper dent in the Munros.
budvarone wrote:We came across the red sledge as well, but it was stuck in ice/snow so we just left it, might use it next time!

I wanted to get it on the way back, it was in good nick. Some lucky bugger will have it unless the wind picks up and blows it away. :?
meangarry

Postby simon-b » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:11 pm

Nice one, MG. I know that feeling when you finish what looked like a hairy scramble. I'll have to add the Cobbler when I have a go at these two Munros. A great report, it looks like you had an excellent day.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby Stuart Angus » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:14 pm

Brilliant, really enjoyed that..........still can't believe how little snow there is though............maybe next week :lol:
Attachments
image.jpg
What a difference a year makes.........(this time last year)...........nae needling or threading that day!:)
Stuart Angus

Munros:81   Corbetts:6
Fionas:3   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:4   

Postby mrssanta » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:13 pm

I enjoyed reading that, made me smile :lol:
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby meangarry » Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:50 am

mrssanta wrote:I enjoyed reading that, made me smile :lol:

Haha, if I can translate even a fraction of the fun we had on the day into a report then I'm doing well. Glad you enjoyed the read. :)

It was an excellent day folks, warm for early march too with hardly a breath of wind.
meangarry

Postby alvason » Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:55 am

Hi Jinks on the hills, eh? 8) Well done and I like your photos!
alvason
Ambler

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland