walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Middle Fell, Haycock, Caw Fell, Seatallan and Buckbarrow

Middle Fell, Haycock, Caw Fell, Seatallan and Buckbarrow

Postby DaveB1 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:54 am

Wainwrights included on this walk: Buckbarrow, Caw Fell, Haycock, Middle Fell, Seatallan

Hewitts included on this walk: Haycock, Seatallan

Date walked: 03/03/2013

Time taken: 8

Distance: 20.2 km

Ascent: 1200m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Plan B, Sunday
After Saturday’s walk it was off to YHA Wastwater via Screes Inn for a deserved pint of Robinson’s best and a packet of crisps. Consuming said fare wasted enough time to arrive at YHA Wastwater just as Reception opened at 5pm.
A friendly welcome, use of the member’s kitchen and a couple of bottles of Jennings Cumberland Ale later, I retired to my pit and had a good nights kip; no snorers, Thank God! (I would have had to kill them!).
Rising at 7am, this was the plan.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I left at 9am and found my way to the path to Greendale and the way up Middle Fell.
Wastwater - 2nd March 2013 036.jpg
Middle Fell

Wastwater - 2nd March 2013 037.jpg
View from Top, Wastwater

I’d been warned the night before that Middle Fell went on forever and so it proved, but nevertheless it felt like a ‘good hill’ and sitting on the summit with views to the Scafell range only added to that feeling.
After a quick brew and caramel wafer (Yes, it was spoil Dave day!) I checked the map and set off northwardish (it’s a technical navigation term. :lol: :lol: ) for the wonderfully named Pots of Ashness and Haycock in the distance.
Wastwater - 2nd March 2013 042.jpg
Haycock

Most of the ground was frozen, which made for good walking and rapid progress, the weather remained superb, no wind and good visibility. I could feel the frozenness as my poles went thunk! instead of splash! Except of course at the Pots of Ashness which according to Bob, the Warden at YHA Wastwater was ‘permanently wet’, he was right, but it didn’t slow me down too much as Haycock beckoned.
The sun came out and on stopping for a rest and course check (I was still in ‘Navigation mode’) I breathed the fresh Lakeland air and revelled in the total absence of noise and people! The sense of emptiness and peace was immense.
Haycock was the next challenge
Wastwater - 2nd March 2013 044.jpg
Haycock Route to the right of ridge

My route took me up the ridge and round to the right, whilst steep it provided some easy scrambling and an enjoyable route to the summit despite the puffing and panting.
The summit was chilly, but clear and I met the first fellow walkers of the day some three and a half hours after leaving the YH.
Wastwater - 2nd March 2013 045.jpg
Haycock Summit

A third walker appeared just after I’d finished lunch and set off for Caw Fell
Wastwater - 2nd March 2013 048.jpg
The Ennerdale Wall to Caw fell

He was the last person I saw until descending Seatallan.
The walk to Caw Fell was uneventful and quite quick, following the ‘Ennerdale Wall’ and over an obvious stile to the summit.
Wastwater - 2nd March 2013 049.jpg
Summit of Caw Fell

On the way to Caw Fell I was planning the way back to Seatallan, which involved a bit of ‘off piste’ contouring, back to the Pots of Ashness direction and eventually to the path up Seatallan
Wastwater - 2nd March 2013 053.jpg
Seatallan and the Pots of Ashness from Haycock

The weather was kind and I managed the contouring without too much difficulty but as I was congratulating myself on excellent route choice I notice something yellow on the ground.
Wastwater - 2nd March 2013 055.jpg
McDonalds waste

Some poor waif in Whitehaven or Workington must have cried buckets when their precious McDonalds ‘Happy Meal’ balloon took off for pastures new and landed in the middle of nowhere. As a contributor to litter its no wonder McDonalds come top, brown bags by the roadside are bad enough, but balloons on the Fells?? (I picked the offending item up and, rant over, set off for Seatallan. :clap:
It was steep! :shock:
Wastwater - 2nd March 2013 056.jpg
Steep!

The summit eventually appeared and sitting down was a pleasant experience, the Ravens looked on expectantly as I munched the last of my butties (Cheese and Mango Chutney, it’s an acquired taste!)
Wastwater - 2nd March 2013 057.jpg
Summit Seatallan

I threw them a few crumbs, swallowed the last of my coffee and set off for Buckbarrow via Glade How. There was a Mountain Leader Training Course just starting at the YHA that morning and guess who was wandering around the vast brown expanse of the lower slopes of Seatallan? Micro navigation no less!
Wastwater - 2nd March 2013 060.jpg
Summit of Buckbarrow

Wastwater - 2nd March 2013 062.jpg
Summit Buckbarrow

Buckbarrow gave good views of the Scafells and in mist would prove a challenge to find, but my beer compass was twitching so it was off downhill to meet the road back to Greendale and the welcoming bar of YHA.
Wastwater - 2nd March 2013 064.jpg
View of Buckbarrow 1

Wastwater - 2nd March 2013 065.jpg
View of Buckbarrow 2

Five Wainwrights done and a surprisingly empty wilderness walk in the Western Fells. I couldn’t help comparing the lack of people here to the throngs who were doubtless climbing Scafell Pike and Helvellyn on a day of fine views and calm weather. Wouldn’t have swapped for the world. Joy!! and a big silly grin. :lol: :lol:
Tomorrow Plan C Wastwater Screes.
DaveB1
Munro compleatist

Munros:17   Corbetts:9
Fionas:4   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   

Re: Middle Fell, Haycock, Caw Fell, Seatallan and Buckbarrow

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:16 am

Great report and some Lovely pics, nearly there :thumbup:
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby yellowbelly » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:30 pm

Can I have my balloon back please?

Nearly there now Dave. Excellent report from one of my favourite parts of the Lakes where you can escape from most of the hoardes and find solitude and peace.
yellowbelly
Wanderer

Munros:59   Corbetts:7
Fionas:2   
Hewitts:125

Postby Simo » Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:42 pm

Good walk that one, also a great youth hostel that one. I was the Table Tennis champ in the cellar there. Which Wainwright are you saving for last?
Simo
Munro compleatist

Munros:17   Corbetts:2
Donalds:1
Hewitts:119

Postby simon-b » Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:24 pm

A good walk, Dave. Nice to see you balanced the picture of the McDonald's balloon against none of Sellafield.
Simo wrote: Which Wainwright are you saving for last?

Have you decided yet? I finished with the Wastwater Screes pair. Do you have a celebration planned?
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby L-Hiking » Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:57 pm

simon-b wrote:Have you decided yet? I finished with the Wastwater Screes pair. Do you have a celebration planned?

Yep wheres the party Dave?? :lol:
L-Hiking
Mountaineer

Munros:78   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:141

Postby SusieThePensioner » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:44 pm

Well done, Dave, an excellent walk and loved the photos :thumbup:

DaveB1 wrote:As a contributor to litter its no wonder McDonalds come top, brown bags by the roadside are bad enough, but balloons on the Fells?? (I picked the offending item up and, rant over, set off for Seatallan

Dave, have a read of Marilyn Munro's report for Ben A'an re. litter :roll:
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby ChrisW » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:22 pm

Great report as always Dave, as a recovering sickie I envy you wandering about in the hills with functioning lungs and stuff :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland