walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Online shopping - delivery charge chancers

Online shopping - delivery charge chancers

Postby AndyHall » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:19 pm

Been a bit miffed by what I'd class as unreasonably steep delivery charges recently - they're one of the best adverts for supporting your local shops! (Other good reasons include Harry the cocker spaniel in Macpherson's in Inverness - always makes it worth stopping in for a browse...)

Tempted by a decent price on www.outdoorkit.co.uk for a platypus water bottle... bit shocked when delivery to Inverness was £8.95 :shock: The bottle only cost £8! Needless to say I won't be buying it from here...

I'm quite sure there will be worse examples than that out there. What's the most ridiculous delivery charges you've seen?
AndyHall

Munros:96   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   

Re: Online shopping - delivery charge chancers

Postby rocket-ron » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:37 pm

Macpherson's is a great wee shop. I always try to get stuff from there. Another great shop is mountainspirt in aviemore. Great independant shops
rocket-ron
Mountaineer

Munros:222   Corbetts:94
Fionas:22   
Sub 2000:15   

Postby kfrweaving » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:40 am

I find it frustrating that you have to spend over £50 or £60 to get free delivery. When all you are wanting are just a few items. Patties in Dumfries are/were a good independent retailer for outdoor stuff, but now i feel that they are catering more to the fashion outdoor wear rather than the practical outdoor wear. Also prices seem to be getting higher. I don't mind paying a bit extra for something that is high quality, but for just a name tag? No! I now go there if i want to get small items. But with the online delivery prices i sometimes wonder whether it would be just as easy getting a train ticket to go to Glasgow instead! I'm being more cautious now about online shopping and looking more carefully at the charges.
kfrweaving
Bird-watcher

Postby whiteburn » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:54 am

Agree, sometimes the delivery charge are OTT.

Just got 2 replacement platypus bottles, £8.99 each delivery included, http://www.urbanrock.com/plusbottle
whiteburn
Stravaiging

Postby islayhawk » Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:20 pm

Its very annoying when buying stuff off a well known auction site and postage is quoted at a rate for the UK. However when they discover that I live on a scottish island the postage can double. most times it doesnt cost any more to send to the islands than it does to the Uk mainland - its a rip off

islayhawk
islayhawk
Hill Bagger

Postby foggieclimber » Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:37 pm

What annoys me is when there is additional delivery charges, over and above the normal delivery charges, for "Highlands and Islands". This is often based on a list of postcodes which include many AB (Aberdeenshire) postcodes. I can understand that it costs more to deliver to islands but why should it cost more to deliver to Aberdeenshire than say Tayside.
foggieclimber

Postby whiteburn » Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:43 pm

foggieclimber wrote:What annoys me is when there is additional delivery charges..... for "Highlands and Islands". ......

Worst example of this I've seen was £15 delivery surcharge for 'Highland & Islands' when the item was being delivered by the Royal Mail !!!
whiteburn
Stravaiging

Postby mrssanta » Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:47 pm

that is truly scandalous
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby NickyRannoch » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:28 pm

foggieclimber wrote:What annoys me is when there is additional delivery charges, over and above the normal delivery charges, for "Highlands and Islands". This is often based on a list of postcodes which include many AB (Aberdeenshire) postcodes. I can understand that it costs more to deliver to islands but why should it cost more to deliver to Aberdeenshire than say Tayside.

because the delivery companies they use have set areas of operation and often have to pass on to local companies once you are north of the central belt. i have been asked to pay a surcharge for dundee on more than one occassion. of course if it is being sent through royal mail then they are taking the ****.
NickyRannoch
Mountain Walker

Munros:224   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:9   
Islands:17

Postby neilmci » Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:10 am

Years ago, I got some computer equipment delivered to Campbeltown. The delivery by courier was free to mainland addresses as far north as Glasgow from memory. You can imagine how p*ssed off the driver was when he completed the 140mile journey to the delivery address South of Glasgow. Its not my fault that they assumed because it had a Paisley post code that it was just out side Glasgow and obviously do not have a map!
neilmci
Mountain Walker

Postby tequila » Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:56 am

Do u ship canada?
tequila

Postby Mountainlove » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:45 pm

One trick I do is to order more (so I get free delivery) and then send something back. The sending back cost is far cheaper (as long as you dont decide to send a pair of winter boots back) and can safe you a few pennies :D
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:88   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Postby sloosh » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:57 pm

I've actually tried to buy stuff (free uk mainland delivery) only to find they won't ship to Perthshire. Apparently the pack ponies we use up here can only get as far North as Stirling before they get eaten by bears and wolves or slaughtered for their meat by William Wallace. :roll:
sloosh

Munros:62   Corbetts:1

Postby stevesey » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:33 pm

Small price to pay for living amongst such great scenery? :-)
stevesey
Munro compleatist

Munros:1   
Hewitts:122
Wainwrights:214   

Postby tenohfive » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:51 pm

Mountainlove wrote:One trick I do is to order more (so I get free delivery) and then send something back. The sending back cost is far cheaper (as long as you dont decide to send a pair of winter boots back) and can safe you a few pennies :D

Like it.
tenohfive

Munros:2   
Hewitts:40
Wainwrights:44   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk