walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A Windy Kingairloch Horseshoe

A Windy Kingairloch Horseshoe

Postby Johnny Corbett » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:50 am

Route description: Creach Bheinn & Fuar Bheinn: Galmadale round

Corbetts included on this walk: Creach Bheinn (Morvern), Fuar Bheinn

Fionas included on this walk: Beinn na Cille

Date walked: 09/03/2013

Time taken: 6.3 hours

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

We were on our way to climb Beinn Bhan when Jimmy and Mo started talking about Strontian and the Corran Ferry which lead to me mentioning this route. The thought of getting 2 Corbetts and a Graham rather than just the 1 Corbett was too much for Jimmy to resist so we pulled into Corran to check i had a map for the area and being the anorak i am there it was, map 49, happy days. We then got the ferry over and drove to the start setting off at 10.15. This was Jimmy and Mo's first outing in 4 months and it showed as they struggled up the steep slopes of the Graham. There was no sympathy from me as the 4 months had been mainly spent on all inclusive holidays, drinking and eating day and night with the odd day spent going into work :crazy: Mo had more stops on this walk than the number 22 bus and was told how she had brought shame and disgrace to the club :wink: which she just laughed off. On our way up Beinn na Cille, Jimmy was blown off his feet at one point, he claimed it was the wind but i'd say it was drink related :crazy: Seriously though that was dodgy moment and luckily Jimmy managed to stop himself slideing down as it was a long way down. The wind kept us on our toes especially on the asscent of Beinn na Cille and it never eased for the remainder of the walk. So with 4 months off and constantly fighting against the wind they both done well to get round this walk and we were all feeling the after effects the following day as we climbed Beinn Bhan. The route itself was straightforward as visibility was excellant all the way round with no steep sections to deal with apart from at the start. There was snow on the descent of both Corbetts but didn't pose any real problems. Once down from Creach Bheinn we made our way to the valley rather than take the ridge back down due to the winds. All in it was a great day out with the exception of the strong winds.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

March 13 002.JPG
We took the tree line up

March 13 004.JPG
View back to the start

March 13 005.JPG
Loch Linnhe

March 13 006.JPG
Beinn Sgulaird

March 13 007.JPG
Lismore

March 13 008.JPG
2 alkies struggle up the ridge

March 13 009.JPG
Fuar Bheinn & Creach Bheinn

March 13 010.JPG
Beinn na Cille summit

March 13 012.JPG
Loch Linnhe

March 13 014.JPG
Beinn na Cille

March 13 016.JPG
Beinn Resipol

March 13 018.JPG
Creach Bheinn

March 13 019.JPG
Fuar Bheinn summit

March 13 021.JPG
Mo slides down

March 13 022.JPG
Creach Bheinn

March 13 023.JPG
Beinn Resipol

March 13 025.JPG
Loch Linnhe

March 13 027.JPG
Ardgour

March 13 029.JPG
J&M approach the summit

March 13 030.JPG
Beinn na Cille & Bheinn Fuar

March 13 031.JPG
Creach Bheinn summit

March 13 032.JPG
Leaving Creach Bheinn

March 13 033.JPG
Meall nan Each ridge

March 13 035.JPG
Creach Bheinn
Last edited by Johnny Corbett on Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Re: A Windy Kingairloch Horseshoe

Postby malky_c » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:58 am

Bheinn Bhan isn't a bad hill, but these ones are way better! Good choice, although shame about the grey weather. Mind you, it was probably the best weather going in the country on Saturday - I wasn't far north of you and had similar conditions.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby Johnny Corbett » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:01 pm

malky_c wrote:Bheinn Bhan isn't a bad hill, but these ones are way better! Good choice, although shame about the grey weather. Mind you, it was probably the best weather going in the country on Saturday - I wasn't far north of you and had similar conditions.
Cheers, we did Beinn Bhan on the Sunday, still as windy though but sky was blue :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Postby BoyVertiginous » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:10 pm

Nice to see these in a different light, Johnny. Did the Corbetts on a warm but windy October day. Fair play to J&M, that's a steep pull up Beinn na Cille.

I also opted-out of Meall nan Each and dropped into the Glen but kept to the West of the river/dam and got wet, looks like you came down before MnE on the other bank, how was it underfoot?
BoyVertiginous
Wanderer

Munros:251   Corbetts:75
Fionas:26   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:49   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:62   Islands:18

Postby ChrisW » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:20 pm

Great report JC, the description of Jimmy & Mo on the ascent sounds like a fitting description of all of my ascents though I have yet to get blown over....my mass is too great :lol: In fairness it does look to be a steep lump to start off, but man those views as you reach the crest are beautiful. :clap:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Johnny Corbett » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:22 pm

BoyVertiginous wrote:Nice to see these in a different light, Johnny. Did the Corbetts on a warm but windy October day. Fair play to J&M, that's a steep pull up Beinn na Cille.

I also opted-out of Meall nan Each and dropped into the Glen but kept to the West of the river/dam and got wet, looks like you came down before MnE on the other bank, how was it underfoot?
Cheers. Yeah J&M did well, i'm usually behind them so it was good to be in front of them for a change :D As for the route down we were on the west bank as well, i've redone the route more acurately. The last one had us going through the dam :crazy:
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Postby Johnny Corbett » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:23 pm

ChrisW wrote:Great report JC, the description of Jimmy & Mo on the ascent sounds like a fitting description of all of my ascents though I have yet to get blown over....my mass is too great :lol: In fairness it does look to be a steep lump to start off, but man those views as you reach the crest are beautiful. :clap:
Thanks Chris it was a great last minute choice :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Postby McLEOD » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:15 pm

Enjoyed both your reports bud, apart from the wind it seems you had some good weather and views :thumbup:
McLEOD
Hill Bagger

Postby mountain thyme » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:13 pm

No sympathy from me either ! they have had too many nice holidays recently...
mountain thyme
Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:222
Fionas:12   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland