walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Back for another SGRidge adventure

Back for another SGRidge adventure

Postby fipriestley » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:49 am

Munros included on this walk: Aonach Air Chrith, Creag a'Mhàim, Druim Shionnach, Maol chinn-dearg

Date walked: 09/03/2013

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 18 km

Ascent: 2300m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The plan for today: I would start at Loch Cluanie, go over the half of the South Glen Shiel Ridge that I'd missed in the summer (too knackered after starting with the Forcan Ridge on that trip :crazy: ) then down to meet Scoob at Loch Quoich. He was going for Gleouraich and Spidean after dropping me off and would meet me at Alltbeithe, either by walking off this side or if he headed back to the road would instead drive up to this old lodge. I'd done all the calculations in my prep and in theory I was going for a 7-8 hr trip while Scoob had a 1hr drive then 5-6hr walk so I'd have to go flat out to have any chance of winning the bet and getting to the meeting point first :roll: :lol: From here, time and energy permitting :shock: we would climb Sgurr a'Mhaoraich together.
Fi's Route.JPG
Loch Cluanie to Loch Quioch (didn't go for Sgurr a'Mhaoraich after all)

Fairly confident with my map and compass skills, today I figured I'd try using the GPS more to keep monitoring my route. First mistake... thought I'd missed my turn off to start climbing as I checked the grid ref the GPS showed against my map. So I turned back along the landrover track a short way then headed up the shoulder figuring I'd soon pick up the track I'd meant to take. By the time I remembered that the GPS actually showed the grid ref of the cursor arrow and not the arrow marking my current location ( :eh: don't find this a helpful feature!) I felt I was too far uphill to think about going back to the landrover track to pick up the path that I should have been on. So instead I took a bearing directly to the summit, seeing on the map that this missed the crags, then I followed it... straight up! :crazy: :crazy: (shame about the smudge on my camera lens seen from 3rd photo onwards :( )
SDC10465.JPG
looking back to Loch Cluanie at the start of my climb
SDC10471.JPG
soon needed spikes, then switched to crampons!
SDC10476.JPG
higher up, hanging on to ice axe, looking straight down at the route I'd just come up!
SDC10478.JPG
peeking over to Creag a'Mhaim summit (took a wide berth to miss the worst of the cornice!)

HUGE sigh of relief when I made it to the first summit :D and I'd made good time :thumbup: From here on it was pretty straightforward, although visibility wasn't great. There were footprints all along the ridge, sometimes along the edge of the cornices. :shock: Not long after I'd passed the third summit the clouds blew over (meaning the winds picked up!) and the views opened up more.
SDC10492.JPG
heading over the ridge
SDC10496.JPG
3rd summit, Aonach Air Chrith
SDC10511.JPG
first glimpse of Gleouraich and the valley I'd be dropping down to
SDC10526.JPG
view along the ridge, heading for Maol chinn-dearg
SDC10533.JPG
almost up Maol chinn-dearg, with Sgurr a'Mhaoraich in the background
SDC10543.JPG
Gleouraich and Spidean still in a topping of clag
SDC10552.JPG
Maol chinn-dearg summit cairn didn't give much shelter from the wind!

I didn't hang about long as it was getting a bit wild by now (with bruised shins to show for it! :roll: ) So I retraced my steps back to the zigzag exit path, cutting out some of the corners in favour of a direct descent, and soon made it down in to the glen. While I had been keeping an eye on the hills across the glen I hadn't spotted another sole all day on any hill. Aware I was ahead of my own schedule though I made for a brisk walk back to Alltbeithe... and claimed a victory as no one was there! :thumbup: :-D
SDC10558.JPG
back down in the glen
SDC10572.JPG
Alltbeithe
Still no Scoob in sight :? I headed back along towards the bridge over Loch Quioch. This track crossed a fragile bridge that might not have taken the weight of a car :o so it was just as well that there was a locked gate over the start of this track, which had stopped Scoob from driving up. :wave: After the long walk back to the car we decided to leave Sgurr a'Mhaoraich for another day - although I still reckon there were enough daylight hours left for it :roll: :lol: :lol:
SDC10580.JPG
bridge looks dodgy for a car! Gleouraich summit now clear :o
SDC10581.JPG
view to Gairich; first glimpse of Scoob on the path under the tree in the distance :)
fipriestley
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:77
Fionas:7   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:3   

Re: Back for another SGRidge adventure

Postby ChrisW » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:15 am

Lovely report fi, not the best of weather by the look of it but you're still smiling at the top - that's what matters. That thing with the GPS reading is a bit dodgy.....I bet you don't forget it ever again though :shock: Some great moody shots along the ridge :clap:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby SusieThePensioner » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:57 am

Well done, Fi, weather didn't look great but at least you achieved your original target :thumbup: Loved your report and photos :D
Forget the gps......stick to a compass and map :lol: :lol:
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby scoob999 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:44 pm

Ok you win :(
But only because i wasted to much time trying to spot you on the ridge :roll:
It was a huge relief to see that you'd made it down safely. So i could've had another half an hour having something to eat in the car :wink:
Was a great day x
scoob999
Munro compleatist

Munros:143   Corbetts:222
Fionas:151   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:145   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:7   Islands:22

Postby fipriestley » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:43 pm

ChrisW wrote:...That thing with the GPS reading is a bit dodgy...
My old GPS was a bit more basic so only showed current position - probably added to confusion but I should have been more on the ball! Thanks for the kind words Chris :thumbup: must remember to check the other forum and keep up with your wonderful walks!

SusieThePensioner wrote:...Forget the gps......stick to a compass and map :lol: :lol:
Good tip Susie, and thanks! Will still try to get better with the gadgets though, thinking it can only help to add to my repertoire :lol:

scoob999 wrote:...only because i wasted to much time trying to spot you...
Any excuse! :roll: :lol: No need for all the worry! :wink: x
fipriestley
Walker

Postby quoman » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:50 pm

Hi Fiona nothing is straightforward for you....straight up again :roll: and when i heard about this race my money was always on you. :D
quoman
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   

Postby fipriestley » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:41 pm

quoman wrote:...my money was always on you. :D
haha :thumbup: :lol: Still loving the adventures :D
fipriestley
Walker

Postby Graeme D » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:16 pm

Sounds like a real competitive edge is creeping in with you two these days! :lol:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby fipriestley » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:32 pm

Graeme D wrote:Sounds like a real competitive edge is creeping in with you two these days! :lol:
Not at all... I always win :angel: :lol: Really, we're on target to compleat together :D :D
fipriestley
Walker

Postby Bod » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:03 am

Quite a mission there Fi, well done! :D :D :D
(we've walked round the track a bit further on both occasions we've accessed the South Ridge and used the well trodden path up! Your bearing straight for the summit must have been a bit tougher, but obviously worked well for you in terms of time.)
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:51   Islands:25

Postby Mountainlove » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:39 am

Well done you! The conditions looked rather bad! Some great dramatic stots :clap: :clap:
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:88   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Postby SAVAGEALICE » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:41 am

Well done Fi :clap: :clap:
SAVAGEALICE

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:79   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:46   Hewitts:22
Wainwrights:33   Islands:21

Postby ceaser » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:47 pm

great report Fi ,but since scoobs a LOT older than you ,it might be fairer if you gave him a start :D
ceaser
Walker

Munros:90   Corbetts:51
Fionas:6   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:8

Postby scoob999 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:10 pm

ceaser wrote:great report Fi ,but since scoobs a LOT older than you ,it might be fairer if you gave him a start :D

Haha I'm almost at an age where i agree with you :shock: But no head starts needed yet :roll:
scoob999
Munro compleatist

Munros:143   Corbetts:222
Fionas:151   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:145   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:7   Islands:22

Postby fipriestley » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:09 pm

Bod wrote:...Your bearing straight for the summit must have been a bit tougher, but obviously worked well for you in terms of time.)
Thanks Bod! Yes, was very pleased with the time - very welcome surprise when I was breathing a big sigh of relief at the first summit :lol:

Mountainlove wrote:Well done you! The conditions looked rather bad! Some great dramatic stots :clap: :clap:
Thanks ML - glad I got some views in the end though :D

SAVAGEALICE wrote:Well done Fi :clap: :clap:
Thanks Alice - it was a good day out really :D

ceaser wrote:...since scoobs a LOT older than you ,it might be fairer if you gave him a start :D
:lol: :lol: think I just had an easier paper round (and I don't complain :wink: )
fipriestley
Walker

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland