walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Piping on Dorain and an Dothaidh

Piping on Dorain and an Dothaidh

Postby munrobagpiper » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:50 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn an Dòthaidh, Beinn Dòrain

Date walked: 27/02/2013

Time taken: 6 hours

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Having just climbed Ben Vorlich the previous day, and then following that with an 8 hour shift in a bar, I dont think I would have been judged for hitting the alarm off and rolling back to sleep, especially as when I looked out my window in Bishopbriggs, I could barely see out my drive for the mist.

The forecast was for clear skies, and having been clouded off Dorain the previous week, I wasnt giving up easy. Confidence wasnt high going along Loch Lomond, as if I didnt know it was there I would have missed it, couldnt see a thing. Fortunately just before Tarbet, the sky clear, and there wasnt a cloud to be seen! Not one.

I made it to Bridge of Orchy for 12, a bit late, and not sure if I would manage to do both Dorain and Dothaidh before light faded. As long as I got one in. The climb up to the ridge was fairly straight forward, a few slippy bits of ice, but nothing too difficult. Met a couple of guys just before the midway cairn, who were heading up an Dothaidh.

IMG_1746.JPG
just before midway cairn

We went our separate ways, and I head up Dorain, It was quite slow as I kept taking pictures, it was hard not to. As I got nearer the final ascent ridge, the snow became very substantial, and I was forced to put the crampons on. I enjoyed my climb in the snow, and with secure footing, it was a joy. The views from the ridge were just spectacular.

IMG_1756.JPG
a little snow

IMG_1771.JPG
Coming up to the summit

Once on the summit, the wind, as usual, picked up. I took a while to just take in the sheer vastness in front of me. I have been to the Grand Canyon, and this was right up there!! As usual, I unpacked my pipes, and got my wee tune and photo :-) It was a bit windy to do too much, so back in the bag they went, and I began my descent.

Couldnt get them tuned in the conditions, but cant argue with the background.

IMG_1779.JPG
Piping at the summit

The descent was relaxing, as i was able to take in the views. My only regret was I didnt have something to use as a sledge haha, maybe its just as well!

When I got back to the midway cairn, I was pretty drained, yesterdays climb and shift, as well as the climb just done, was taking its toll. But I thought, I could struggle on for another hour or so, or go home and think "I should have just done it", so off I went.

This climb was a struggle, and just a constant slog! I wasnt sure which was the best way to go, as the map said one way, but I thought other ways looked more direct, so I went my way. When I got to the east peak, I found myself confused at which was the highest point. The furthest west looked to be it, so I headed to there, via the middle peak, not before a wee tune on the East peak though.

IMG_1807.JPG
East peak of Beinn an Dothaidh

I was able to get a video also, and a little bit more in tune than Dorain, not much though haha

Off I went to the West peak, via the middle, which I later discovered was the highest point. I did feel however the better views were from the other peaks, you may disagree. From the West peak the views were simply stunning, looking over Rannoch Moor and the Lochaber mountains.

IMG_1803.JPG
West an Dothaidh

I could have sat this spot for hours, it was spectacular. It got me to thinking, I had friends who were out drinking the night before, and probably hadnt made it out their house today!

IMG_1765.JPG

IMG_1795.JPG

IMG_1819.JPG

IMG_1828.JPG
Stunning Sunset

IMG_1831.JPG
At this stage, a very welcome sight! PINT PLEASE!!
Attachments
IMG_1792.JPG
munrobagpiper
Mountain Walker

Munros:136   Corbetts:3

Re: Piping on Dorain and an Dothaidh

Postby The Rodmiester » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:47 pm

Good for you munrobagpiper, I take it you are to be performing the pipes on all the munros :lol: if so well done, something new! I llok forward to more reports and renditions :D
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby munrobagpiper » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:30 pm

The Rodmiester wrote:Good for you munrobagpiper, I take it you are to be performing the pipes on all the munros :lol: if so well done, something new! I llok forward to more reports and renditions :D

The ultimate goal is ALL of them yes, but as you know, there are quite a few of them!!haha And of course, it will depend on getting clear days, so could take a while. I am just enjoying going up the hills, its not much effort to take the pipes along, and I really enjoy playing in such surroundings, I am not putting any pressure on doing a certain number in a certain time.
munrobagpiper
Mountain Walker

Postby The Rodmiester » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:58 pm

munrobagpiper wrote:
The Rodmiester wrote:Good for you munrobagpiper, I take it you are to be performing the pipes on all the munros :lol: if so well done, something new! I llok forward to more reports and renditions :D

The ultimate goal is ALL of them yes, but as you know, there are quite a few of them!!haha And of course, it will depend on getting clear days, so could take a while. I am just enjoying going up the hills, its not much effort to take the pipes along, and I really enjoy playing in such surroundings, I am not putting any pressure on doing a certain number in a certain time.

Man the Munros are not to be rushed, there to be enjoyed :D McLeod Tartan as well, the very best, wear with pride!
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby sonardestruction » Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:18 am

Hey!
Just stumbled across this page by accident, it's weird cos I recognised you.. I was walking up when you were going down for a pint! I camped at the top overnight. It was excellent
Hope you enjoyed the pint, well deserved after the day you had. Maybe see you up some random munro in the future
Jamie
sonardestruction
Rambler

Munros:25   

Postby tomyboy73 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:41 pm

nice one, hope to hear those pipes some day on a hill :)
tomyboy73
Mountain Walker

Munros:186   Corbetts:40
Fionas:9   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:3   Islands:5
Walk wish-list

Postby scoob999 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:38 pm

You should start doing compleation party's :wink:
I'm quite sure a pint or two would come your way :D
scoob999
Munro compleatist

Munros:143   Corbetts:222
Fionas:151   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:145   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:7   Islands:22

Postby munrobagpiper » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:03 pm

sonardestruction wrote:Hey!
Just stumbled across this page by accident, it's weird cos I recognised you.. I was walking up when you were going down for a pint! I camped at the top overnight. It was excellent
Hope you enjoyed the pint, well deserved after the day you had. Maybe see you up some random munro in the future
Jamie

Hi Jamie. I certainly did enjoy my pint. I was telling people about you going up just as the sun set, I hope to do something similar sometime, would be amazing! How was your night on the hill? Bet it was cold!
munrobagpiper
Mountain Walker

Postby polishwalker » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:16 pm

You look great,great picture`s,well done
polishwalker
Mountaineer

Munros:3   

Postby sonardestruction » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:34 pm

munrobagpiper wrote:
sonardestruction wrote:Hey!
Jamie

Hi Jamie. I certainly did enjoy my pint. I was telling people about you going up just as the sun set, I hope to do something similar sometime, would be amazing! How was your night on the hill? Bet it was cold!

hey, when I got to the top the moon had just come out and it was a massive orange ball. The snow was glowing like fire embers. I set my tent up so it was facing east for the sunrise.
There was no wind at all. Was really cold on my hands so had to put them in the sleeping bag but in there I was toasty.
During the night the wind picked up an tent flapped a bit. Got up before sunrise but it was all clouded over. No morning glory shots for me.Went back to bed and enjoyed the few extra hours relaxing in the sleeping bag. Well recommend that you camp, bivi or snow hole at the top of a munro, such a great experience. I love climbing them in the dark with a clear sky under the stars fantastic!
sonardestruction
Rambler

Munros:25   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland