walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Tullich Hill

Tullich Hill

Postby rob munbett » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:56 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Tullich Hill

Date walked: 13/03/2013

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Fancied a short day out with not much travelling and Tullich Hill fitted the bill. Again I was fortunate with the weather and underfoot conditions. I can imagine this hill could be rather boggy after rain but after the cold spell, the ground was solid. I wasn't enjoying the cold,though, as I got out of my car in the parking space in Glen Douglas about half a km east of Invergroin: the chill wind cut like a knife and eyes and nose were running (possibly too much detail!)

Anyway, a swift stroll past the white cottage, over a bridge and cattle grid, through a gate on the right and on to the hill. There are a few marker posts to guide the walker but really it's just a simple case of NW straight up the hillside. It is quite steep and tussocky but as height is gained the views become increasingly interesting to relieve the monotony of the plod. As ever, there are a few false summits before the cairn is reached, where the views over to the Arrochar hills are really spectacular. On a freezing day like this, there wasn't much point of sitting at the top but I did find a very sheltered, south facing spot for lunch - just perfect. Then, it was carefully down the steep, slippery slopes to the road and the car. A most enjoyable little hill.
Attachments
P1010390_edited-1.jpg
Tullich Hill from the car park
P1010394_edited-1.jpg
Looking up to the first 'top'
P1010401_edited-1.jpg
Looking over Beinn Bhreac to Ben Lomond
P1010402_edited-1.jpg
The summit cairn and the Arrochar hills
P1010406_edited-1.jpg
The route down into Glen Douglas
rob munbett
Hill Bagger

Munros:257   Corbetts:133
Fionas:70   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:97   Hewitts:30
Wainwrights:40   

Re: Tullich Hill

Postby hills » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:51 pm

Must get round to this one, thanks for the info. :D
hills
Hill Bagger

Munros:255   Corbetts:170
Fionas:172   Donalds:88
Sub 2000:191   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:32   Islands:34

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland