walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Grey Corries

Grey Corries

Postby gman » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:12 pm

Route description: The Grey Corries

Munros included on this walk: Sgùrr Chòinnich Mòr, Stob Bàn (Grey Corries), Stob Choire Claurigh, Stob Coire an Laoigh

Date walked: 13/03/2013

Time taken: 11.5 hours

Distance: 45 km

Ascent: 2200m

11 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

greycorriesactual.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Didn't fancy driving up the rough road so came up with alternative plan: park just outside Spean Bridge and cycle up the the bothy at Stob Ban, do the ridge then return to bike for an easy coast back to car. Sounds OK in theory - came off the bike on the way to the bothy though, had to fix brakes, further on I realised I'd left gloves when I came off so backtracked a few km, didn't find them, used spare gloves instead. All this added 1 hour, 5km and 150m of ascent so subtract that for non-slapstick route :lol:

Just past the lodge, rough road with a few potholes but manageable with care:

Wee Minister:

Route up the Lairig, there's a locked gate before this but you can sqeeze the bike through the side gate:

Bothy, couple of other bikes here:

Path to Stob Ban:

Snowy Stob Ban, met a couple of walkers here who were just doing this one. Thought about doing the same as I'd taken longer than expected on the journey up and cycling uphill was surprisingly draining :lol:

Cairn, pretty stony up here:

Steep down to the bealach and a lot of ascent to Stob Choire Claurigh:

Stob Ban from frozen lochan at bealach:

Decided to have a look at the ridge, tough climb up Stob Choire Claurigh. Made it to cairn, Stob Ban looking small from up here:

That's the big ascent over and the ridge looks good :D :

Hard snow in places, some soft powdery snow too, further along:

German walker in the distance had left handy footprints to follow:

View back from Stob Coire Cath na Sine, didn't want to go back up Stob Choire Claurigh on the return so plan was to descend to bealach from the lowest point of the ridge here:

To Stob Ban bealach, return route:

Weather holding up, few flecks of snow which would become heavier later. Onwards to Stob Coire an Laoigh, Munro number 3:

And the last Munro, Sgurr Choinnich Mor from Stob Coire an Laoigh. Bit more ascent to get to this one so I ditched the pack here & picked it up on the way back:

Sgurr Choinnich Mor from Stob coire Easain, steep rocky descent:

And a steep snowy ascent, deep snow holes and a few false summits before the top:

Western Mamores:

And eastern:

Now all I need to do is get back to bealach at Stob Ban on the right. Before it gets dark.

To save time I bumslid down one slope, then tried it on another but this time the snow was harder and the slope steeper so gained too much speed & had to self arrest with ice axe. Here's the slope, looks tame enough :lol: :

Sgurr Choinnich Mor again, sun getting lower:

Glen Coe hills:

Back to Stob Coire an Laoigh:

Descended from ridge before Stob Choire Claurigh and made for bealach, snow icy & firm here:

Then made for the path on the left hand side of the burn, this led back to the bothy.

Back on the bike for a speedy coast back to the car, got dark about halfway there so needed lights & got a shock when the sinister minister appeared :lol:
Last edited by gman on Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gman

Munros:250   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:1   

Re: Grey Corries

Postby PeteR » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:20 pm

Some super photos there gman :D Looks like you had a great day :D

Love these hills and they look great covered in snow too. I may need to keep them in mind for a winter trek one day :wink:
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby soapy27 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:59 pm

Great report and photos again gman :clap: doing these next week and hope to get similar conditions as you did :D
soapy27
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:175
Fionas:23   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:54   
Islands:23

Postby wilkiemurray » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:23 pm

Some belting photos there :clap: looked like agreat outing ( bar the bike incident!)
wilkiemurray

Postby Bod » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:41 pm

Lovely to see the Corries so clearly again and covered in snow! Lovely report :wink: :D :D
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:29
Wainwrights:61   Islands:25

Postby gman » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:12 pm

Got lucky with the weather on Wed :D Anyone heading up there soon might find a pair of Extremities Corbett gloves if they haven't already been blagged by a sheep or a wooden minister.
gman

Postby Mountainlove » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:26 pm

Great discription with the photos! I did the same on Tuesday...slid down on my bum on hard frozen snow, full of bumps...with my ice axe attached to my backpack :roll: ...managed to stop myself with my crampons, but lesson learned afterwards :lol:
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:88   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Postby gman » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:12 am

Mountainlove wrote:Great discription with the photos! I did the same on Tuesday...slid down on my bum on hard frozen snow, full of bumps...with my ice axe attached to my backpack :roll: ...managed to stop myself with my crampons, but lesson learned afterwards :lol:

I accelerated from zero to Cresta Run speed in about 0.5 sec - stopped immediately with ice axe, but by then I'd been travelling on my front, back, feet first & head first. Lot of ground covered quickly though :lol:
gman

11 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland