walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Stuc a' Chroin via Beinn Each

Stuc a' Chroin via Beinn Each

Postby charliecharles » Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:15 pm

Route description: Beinn Each from Loch Lubnaig

Munros included on this walk: Stùc a' Chròin

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn Each

Date walked: 02/02/2013

Time taken: 6.5 hours

Distance: 14 km

Ascent: 1200m

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

We had previously tried this route in October but the cloud was down, the wind was strong and driving rain into our faces and so after 4 hours we had turned back. This time the forecast was for sun and high cloud, with some wind and for it to be cold - more than enough encouragement to give it a go.

We (me, Mrs C and Charlie the dog) arrived early and were walking just before 8.00am. It was a lovely day, cold but bright and with clear views. The first sun of the day hitting hit Ben Ledi was lovely sight.
DSC_0234_01.JPG
Sunrise on Ben Ledi
Full of enthusiasm we started climbing the steep slopes of Beinn Each, and saw some deer in the distance, the wildlife of the day. Charlie gave them a hard stare but I don't think they were intimidated! We put crampons on about half way up as we were into hard packed snow. At the top it was blowing a gale and very cold but the views made up for it with Stuc a'Chroin looking deceptively close.
DSC_0236_01.JPG
Approaching the summit of Beinn Each - breezy!
Pausing only for a home made energy bar, full of nuts and oats, I have to insist on the chocolate topping, we headed down to the Bealach nan Cabar - what a great name.

It was a very tough walk along the bealach with a mixture of hard snow and snow drifts, more climbing than we had realised and with a gale blowing which made walking a struggle in exposed places. We got to the bottom of Stuc a'Chroin and had an early lunch as we thought that it would be not Baltic but Arctic at the top. Having said all that I was having a great time. It was a steep climb up icy slopes - thanks be to crampons - to the top. We had wondered how Charlie would cope with the ice but he was fine with his nails acting as built in crampons.
Copy - DSC_0253_01.JPG
A tough climb, but look at the view to Ben More

It was blowing a hooley at the summit so that it was hard to walk in a straight line, but the sun was shining, the views were great all around - to Ben Lawers, Ben More and Ben Lomond - and we were alone.
DSC_0256_01.JPG
Keep going girl!
We saw the only person of the day on Ben Vorlich a mile away. It was fantastic! This is what winter walking is all about.
DSC_0266_01.JPG
Ben Vorlich from Stuc a'Chroin
We took our photos and then headed down Coire Chroisg. Suddenly we were out of the wind and so we stopped for some soup and to enjoy the views, before heading down the coire.

We found that we had headed too far down the coire and had missed the turning back along what the route describes as "rough deer tracks". It looked like a tough way to get back and the alternative was to head down into Glen Ample and pick up a decent track, and so we took our chances and headed down hoping to find a way through/under/over a deer fence. As we had thought it was relatively easy to get under the deer fence where it crossed a stream, Allt Coire Chroisg. From there we walked down the north side of the stream in a clearing in the forestry plantation until we hit the track back. It was a fair walk back but with no snow around and a decent track, it was fast walking. We got back tired and happy and looking forward to the Calcutta Cup rugby match....
charliecharles
Munro compleatist

Munros:208   

Re: Stuc a' Chroin via Beinn Each

Postby skuk007 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:11 pm

Some really nice photos there.
Even better when you get the hills to yourself.

Steve
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Postby dcsinclair8976 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:03 am

Very useful report - I'm going to do the walk today and just wanted to check it was safe for dogs. Thanks.
dcsinclair8976
Munro compleatist

Munros:29   Corbetts:6
Fionas:5   
Sub 2000:1   

Postby charliecharles » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:19 pm

dcsinclair8976 wrote:Very useful report - I'm going to do the walk today and just wanted to check it was safe for dogs. Thanks.

I am glad it was helpful. How was your walk?
charliecharles
Munro compleatist

Munros:208   

Postby ScottishLeaf » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:44 pm

I did this back at the end of May last year, thoroughly enjoyed it in the the heat, but even on that day that Bealach between Stuc and Ben Each was windy. Glad you seemed to have a good day too :)
ScottishLeaf
Hill Bagger

Munros:114   Corbetts:6
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:6   
Islands:11

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland